Oscar

themightyblue

I think he needs a free role to excel. In his best games I remember seeing him everywhere, sometimes he would be upfront finishing, sometimes he would drop deep to distribute, sometimes he would be marking and doing defensive work, sometimes he would be making a run between defenders, sometimes he would be wide trying a cross. It seemed like he always knew where the team needed him, I would praise his tactical awareness more than anything else he had. Right now he seems to be too focused on defending and going down the wings. It's so weird.

not weird and your explaination makes so much sense .. I want to see him freed to do what he does best CREATE

I think he needs a free role to excel. In his best games I remember seeing him everywhere, sometimes he would be upfront finishing, sometimes he would drop deep to distribute, sometimes he would be marking and doing defensive work, sometimes he would be making a run between defenders, sometimes he would be wide trying a cross. It seemed like he always knew where the team needed him, I would praise his tactical awareness more than anything else he had. Right now he seems to be too focused on defending and going down the wings. It's so weird.

That's true but i think that applies for all the attacking players out there. Free roles usually means the player can focus on what he does best and that automatically boosts a player's performance.

but free roles are rare in modern football and only given to 1 player per team,the best player of the team in terms of attacking quality and he simply isn't, neither at Brazil (Neymar) or at Chelsea (Hazard) (at Chelsea there wasn't even a free role for any player, not even Hazard)

That's true but i think that applies for all the attacking players out there. Free roles usually means the player can focus on what he does best and that automatically boosts a player's performance.

but free roles are rare in modern football and only given to 1 player per team,the best player of the team in terms of attacking quality and he simply isn't, neither at Brazil (Neymar) or at Chelsea (Hazard) (at Chelsea there wasn't even a free role for any player, not even Hazard)

Speaking for Brazil NT only, I think we played better when Oscar was on the free role instead of Neymar. Neymar is just too selfish and attacking oriented whereas Oscar does it all.

Speaking for Brazil NT only, I think we played better when Oscar was on the free role instead of Neymar. Neymar is just too selfish and attacking oriented whereas Oscar does it all.

Well i think Oscar is indeed more well rounded then Neymar but Neymar is more goal oriented. Give him a free role and he's a lot more likely to score goals and create danger then Oscar ( free role).

Free roles are given to boost a player (and a team's) attacking performance not to offer more balance to the side. Neymar offers more in the attacking side which is why he gets the free role.

I don't think Neymar's "problem" is being selfish. He just seems to want to do too much at times. Sometimes he's already in a great position to shoot on goal but then decides to take on another player. (today vs Chile)

Well i think Oscar is indeed more well rounded then Neymar but Neymar is more goal oriented. Give him a free role and he's a lot more likely to score goals and create danger then Oscar ( free role).

Free roles are given to boost a player (and a team's) attacking performance not to offer more balance to the side. Neymar offers more in the attacking side which is why he gets the free role.

I don't think Neymar's "problem" is being selfish. He just seems to want to do too much at times. Sometimes he's already in a great position to shoot on goal but then decides to take on another player. (today vs Chile)

The way I see it, when Oscar has the free role he impacts more the team as a whole. Not only does he play better he makes several players play better. Neymar on the free role not so much, because he always try too much and usually by himself, he doesn't bring others into play as much. Not that he's bad, I just think Oscar would be a better choice, also Neymar plays worse in certain aspects when free. For example, since Neymar became the focus he's been dropping too deep, now he has to dribble past like 4 or 5 players to be able to shoot and he always tries to by himself. I don't think he should help creating chances from behind, he should be making runs behind defenders or receiving the ball in forward positions where he's only got to beat one or two markers before finishing/passing/crossing. He's also not as effective from the middle as from the left. This free role may even be detrimental to him. It puts him on the spotlight but it doesn't necessarily improve his final product. It could, if he was willing to pass and assist more.

He's been poor more often than not. I think all the many matches he played finally took their toll because he's barely playing better than he did for Chelsea now. Yeah he had a good match against Croatia - my MOTM - and he has been contributing a lot defensively.

But I think he's been suffering from a mess of a team. Brazil used to press high in the pitch at the CC and now they don't anymore and he keeps sacrificing himself trying to make a job that should be shared with many more.

If anything he'll end this WC even more tired - as he's been working way too hard. He's in a slump, aggravated imo by the many matches under his belt and little vacation/rest time.

He needs a reset button, but that also means rest. Thinking this way I'll be happy if Brazil is kicked out by Colombia next.

He's been poor more often than not. I think all the many matches he played finally took their toll because he's barely playing better than he did for Chelsea now. Yeah he had a good match against Croatia - my MOTM - and he has been contributing a lot defensively.

But I think he's been suffering from a mess of a team. Brazil used to press high in the pitch at the CC and now they don't anymore and he keeps sacrificing himself trying to make a job that should be shared with many more.

If anything he'll end this WC even more tired - as he's been working way too hard. He's in a slump, aggravated imo by the many matches under his belt and little vacation/rest time.

He needs a reset button, but that also means rest. Thinking this way I'll be happy if Brazil is kicked out by Colombia next.

I have absolutely no clue why it has stopped. Same players, same manager. Why the fuck are they not pressing as much as before?

He is played out of position. Scolari's decisions this tournament have been a mindfuck. They are going to get walloped by the first good team they come across.

Exactly. I get the feeling he is forced to play on the wings. And on the left wing for that matter, while neymar plays behind the striker now.

Neymar used to linkup with marcelo and oscar, sweet one-twos before but now, since neymar got the no10, he just wants to dribble till he gets fouled.

You sire are a genius.

The way I see it, when Oscar has the free role he impacts more the team as a whole. Not only does he play better he makes several players play better. Neymar on the free role not so much, because he always try too much and usually by himself, he doesn't bring others into play as much. Not that he's bad, I just think Oscar would be a better choice, also Neymar plays worse in certain aspects when free. For example, since Neymar became the focus he's been dropping too deep, now he has to dribble past like 4 or 5 players to be able to shoot and he always tries to by himself. I don't think he should help creating chances from behind, he should be making runs behind defenders or receiving the ball in forward positions where he's only got to beat one or two markers before finishing/passing/crossing. He's also not as effective from the middle as from the left. This free role may even be detrimental to him. It puts him on the spotlight but it doesn't necessarily improve his final product. It could, if he was willing to pass and assist more.

Well i think there are 2 aspect of a free role to consider.

1 is the fact you're not forced to stick to one position and can roam between positions. 2 is that you can focus on attacking and not worry about having to track a defender.

Oscar enjoys the most benefit from the first one as he can roam and like you said "be everywhere" on the pitch. This is something that Neymar struggles with.

Neymar on the other hand has the most benefit from the second aspect as he's doesn't have to track the right back and can focus soley on attacking.

This is something where Oscar doesn't really benefit from as his defensive contributions are one of his main strenghts.

It's really comes down to what you want to use and "boost". Oscar's positional awareness or Neymar's attacking potent.

Now you're probably thinking that the free role hasn't boosted Neymar's attacking potent and that it has actually lessened it but i think the real culprit is the position Neymar is forced to play in.

I mean why is Neymar playing centrally as a number 10 ? He's not a 10. He's an inside forward that likes to cut inside. Let him do what he's best at.

A free role doesn't mean you have to play as a 10. Look at C Ronaldo. He gets a free role but positionally still plays as a left inside forward.

I would play with Neymar on the left with a free role but ask him to primarily stay on the left. Oscar on the 10 and then just have Oscar mark the right back when defending deep.

I still feel Scolari is right to give the free role to Neymar but he just needs to switch Oscar and Neymar and limit Neymar's movement a bit. imho offcourse.

TBH, Brazil wings need protection moreso than the middle with Gustavo + Fernandinho.

Both Marcelo and Alves are defensive liabilities and Oscar is the best out of the ams in pressing and retaining possession, so I can understand why Scolari puts him on the wings. Marcelo this tournament has been able to hold his own to a degree, but Alves is a mistake waiting to happen.

Oscar is playing a role for Scolari that Scolari wants and Oscar accepted moving forward for the team.

In the CC, Neymar was more towards the left, while Oscar played in the middle more often than not.

However, in the world cup its been

Hulk-Neymar-Oscar. When Oscar played in the middle for Brazil against Croatia in the second half, Brazil defensively were getting worked on the wings and Scolari reverted back to Neymar in the middle. I don't know if its Scolari or the brazil federation that tells Scolari to make sure Neymar is the focal point of Brazil...

He will and should warm the bench a lot next season, until he can prove he's good enough to start over better players.

I've been frustrated by him at times and I loved Mata, which is probably why I was against him as the #10. I think he's a better fit sitting deeper with Matic and Fabregas pushing forward. As for Oscar proving good enough to start over better players, aside from Hazard and Fabregas, the others have been just as frustrating at times so he's got as good a shot as anyone else to be counted upon by Mou.

Its so unbelievable to see everyone would sell Oscar to buy James...

"Oh Oscar only made great pass and cross that should end with goal but the rest he was shit"..."oh James is soo fantastic oh my"...but then again football isnt just about attacking. Oscar does the job that people dont see and no other #10 can do in the world. Cesc will add creativity but Oscar will do rest.

Finaly, everyone is so smart and tries to explain Oscar isnt typical #10, but in next sentence they blast him that he doesnt offer enough in attack. Ffs he is working his ass im defence and thats why he isnt as much in attack as he could be. James is main guy in colombia while Oscar works his ass off to acomodate Neymar. Stop playing fifa and fucking support Oscar as long he is here. Ffs he wont score 5 goals and 3 assists every game and even then someone smart would be found and say "oh but he didnt save a penalty".

You miss something once you lose it they say.

James is Monaco player and Oscar is ours. Stop getting in James ass and dont blame Oscar for everything.

Do you think we should play Oscar in the pivot if we play a 4231 then? Cause he's not a good #10. He's playing RW right now so maybe he'll do better in the cm as 433