Oscar

themightyblue

Serious discussion.

I'm curious to know what people and some pundits base their assertion that Oscar has the potential to be one of the best attacking midfielders and how can potential be measured, are there a set of criterias to measuring such things or is it purely subjective and just based on experience and the number of appearance a young player has under his belt at club and NT level.

What makes Oscar have more potential than let's say a Coutinho or a Memphis Depay (just using them as random examples).

Serious discussion.

I'm curious to know what people and some pundits base their assertion that Oscar has the potential to be one of the best attacking midfielders and how can potential be measured, are there a set of criterias to measuring such things or is it purely subjective and just based on experience and the number of appearance a young player has under his belt at club and NT level.

What makes Oscar have more potential than let's say a Coutinho or a Memphis Depay (just using them as random examples).

he has played good games at higher levels than them. juventus and psg at home for example. so it is easier to say that he is likely to become a good player. of course we would have to see how coutinho and depay do in similar situations.

he has played good games at higher levels than them. juventus and psg at home for example. so it is easier to say that he is likely to become a good player. of course we would have to see how coutinho and depay do in similar situations.

So in your non biased opinion do you think he has sufficiently passed the test at club level and is a couple of good games in UCL/top level a better criteria to use than lets say consistency and technical ability. For me the latter is a better measure, especially for offensive players.

you should be able to say player A has everything from a technical standpoint (passing, close control, dribbling, vision etc depending on their skillset which usually defines a players position on the pitch) and just needs to work on his tactical game and gain more maturity rather than player B has done well in a couple of games at the high level but very limited technically and woefully inconsistent.

I feel player A has the better scope to develop into a "future world class" player than player B as tactical game is much easier to develop than technical game. i.e A kovacic for e.g is more likely to develop into a world class player than a Welbeck, who mind you, just like Oscar as done well in some games at the top level and more proven than the mateo. instrumental against Real madrid both home and away in the UCL for e.g, just my 2 cents.

I was just researching something about the 2016 Olympics, and I remembered that the Brazil football team will be playing in that tournament as they are hosts.

So Oscar's summers consist of:

2011- U20 World Cup

2012- Olympics

2013- Confederations Cup

2014- World Cup

2015- Copa America

2016- Olympics

Really hope Oscar is allowed a few extra weeks off this summer.. Will do him the world of good

Serious discussion.

To be honest, I don't see him becoming one of the best attacking midfielders. He doesn't have #10's attributes for that: great vision and the talent to provide the final ball. His passing is good, but nothing extraordinary. He doesn't do many through balls and isn't very good at keeping possession.

That being said, he's still a good player with good work rate and tackling abilities. While I don't think he has the potential to become world class #10, I do think he has the potential to become a great midfielder, especially if he puts on some muscle and works on his stamina.

Comparison: Fabregas, Hazard, Oscar, Ramires, Matic:

11135av.jpg

Oscar makes almost as many tackles per 90 as Ramires and Matic, despite playing in an advanced position. His talents clearly aren't that of #10. He's still young. IMO, he can learn and improve and become a great CM.

So in your non biased opinion do you think he has sufficiently passed the test at club level and is a couple of good games in UCL/top level a better criteria to use than lets say consistency and technical ability. For me the latter is a better measure, especially for offensive players.

you should be able to say player A has everything from a technical standpoint (passing, close control, dribbling, vision etc depending on their skillset which usually defines a players position on the pitch) and just needs to work on his tactical game and gain more maturity rather than player B has done well in a couple of games at the high level but very limited technically and woefully inconsistent.

I feel player A has the better scope to develop into a "future world class" player than player B as tactical game is much easier to develop than technical game. i.e A kovacic for e.g is more likely to develop into a world class player than a Welbeck, who mind you, just like Oscar as done well in some games at the top level and more proven than the mateo. instrumental against Real madrid both home and away in the UCL for e.g, just my 2 cents.

i just see him , in the same position as schurrle. both shown plenty of glimpses , but need to develop quite a bit further. both similar age, both frustrating at times , but both have respect from mourinho ,and are good enough to get into their national teams , who are among the best.

for some reason oscar gets way more attention. both positive and negative.

I was just researching something about the 2016 Olympics, and I remembered that the Brazil football team will be playing in that tournament as they are hosts.

So Oscar's summers consist of:

2011- U20 World Cup

2012- Olympics

2013- Confederations Cup

2014- World Cup

2015- Copa America

2016- Olympics

Really hope Oscar is allowed a few extra weeks off this summer.. Will do him the world of good

What makes you think Oscar will play at the 2016 Olympics? By then he will no longer be U23 and would have to be included as one of three over-age players. It's possible he'll go but not very likely IMO.

What makes you think Oscar will play at the 2016 Olympics? By then he will no longer be U23 and would have to be included as one of three over-age players. It's possible he'll go but not very likely IMO.

Oh yeah.. Completely forgot about that for some reason! Haha

Still think he should get a rest before next season though because of the Copa America as well

i just see him , in the same position as schurrle. both shown plenty of glimpses , but need to develop quite a bit further. both similar age, both frustrating at times , but both have respect from mourinho ,and are good enough to get into their national teams , who are among the best.

Oscar reminds me of muller. No real stand out technical abilities but both intelligent, versatile and vital in teams they play in.

Oscar is Brazil's AM, while schurrle is a bench player for Germany. I'm sure that's why oscar gets more publicity.

True but I guess that may depend on several factors. After all, Mata chose to play in the Olympics 2 years ago when he was already past 23 years old.

True but I guess that may depend on several factors. After all, Mata chose to play in the Olympics 2 years ago when he was already past 23 years old.

Like I said, it's possible. In Mata's case I think it was more like him not really playing a big role in the Euros that year but who knows, he might have gone anyway. Maybe Oscar wants to go with the tournament being played in Brazil, especially if they don't win the World Cup this year, but then again he might just as well not be interested or selected even if he was. It's still two years from now so way too early to speculate, at the moment it's impossible to say if he'll even be a Chelsea player at the time!

Oscar gets more positive attention because he's overrated and he's seen as "a key player" "Brazil's no 10" " one of the original 3 amigos" "Chelsea's future alongside Hazard, willian and Matic" etc. It's only natural to scrutinise a starting 11 player in oscar (even though he doesn't deserve that status) more than a mere squad player in Schurrle (no disrespect to the German)

Oscar reminds me of muller. No real stand out technical abilities but both intelligent, versatile and vital in teams they play in.

Oscar is Brazil's AM, while schurrle is a bench player for Germany. I'm sure that's why oscar gets more publicity.

Difference is Muller's contribution is easily quantifiable both statistically and visually and he's comfortably one of the most productive and consistent players in Europe and a notorious big game player too. But I agree with you that they are similar in terms of style of play and not having any outstanding attribute although you could argue that Muller is an excellent finisher.

It's fair to say Oscar is a poor man's muller and that's always been my stance actually.

Bought this book written by Oscar alongside the author Tom Watt a few days ago.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1905825846?pc_redir=1403805436&robot_redir=1

I would recommend it, gives a good insight into life and football in Brazil, with extracts about Oscar's life growing up.

Some of the proceeds from the book go towards a charity in Brazil which help young people

Difference is Muller's contribution is easily quantifiable both statistically and visually and he's comfortably one of the most productive and consistent players in Europe and a notorious big game player too. But I agree with you that they are similar in terms of style of play and not having any outstanding attribute although you could argue that Muller is an excellent finisher.

It's fair to say Oscar is a poor man's muller and that's always been my stance actually.

Every team needs a muller/oscar sometimes.

Oscar is a 22year old that got a baby recently at this young age. He has a lot on his mind plus world cup.

He'll show u his true worth when his head is free next season.