Oscar

themightyblue

He's an unbelievable talent. Up to Jose to get the best out of him.

He played as an orthodox winger tonight and was still brilliant. Beckham-esque crosses, went past his marker for fun all game (7 dribbles), a bunch of monstrous defensive tackles & of course the Romario finish to seal the game.

He was carrying an injury throughout the 2nd half of the season. Why are people ignoring that? For the first half he was easily our best player up until that Stoke FA Cup game.

Had a similar season to Neymar in alot of ways. Started off like a house on fire then cooled off late on.

I don't buy when people say 'it's our system', mainly because in the beginning of the season that same system suited Oscar while Mata struggled. I just hope next season Oscar can perform like this consistently, he's a great talent and still young, but i never ever want to see him play like he did in the last 6 months of the season again, he was awful.

He was carrying an injury throughout the 2nd half of the season. Why are people ignoring that? For the first half he was easily our best player up until that Stoke FA Cup game.

Yeah, and I'm just waiting for the 'he never got a proper rest in X amount of years' excuse to flair up again two months into next season; while still being able to pull off performances like today...

I still believe that this Oscar will come back. I was as frustrated as some of you guys were at his performances during the 2nd half of the season, but I do think when he finds that consistency that will all be forgotten.

Because I'm not convinced by one single performance. I still believe he is one of the most uncreative no. 10s I have ever seen. I believe creativity is instinctual ala Hazard, Fabregas, Mata etc. and I believe it does not come as naturally to him as the players I've mentioned, especially against teams who sit back.

If people believe Fabregas' creativity is a magic bullet for our problems when facing smaller opposition, well then they're in for a disappointment. What if he's injured, tired or having a bad game? We also need a creative no. 10 to carry the load and so far I have not seen enough of it from Oscar (my stance on this has not changed since the whole 'Oscar V Mata' thread back in last September).

However, I think he deserves one more season as 10 to see if he really can do it...but I wouldn't pass up a stupid overinflated World Cup bid in the meantime...

Fair enough, you love more creative players. What if oscar moves into the pivot and fabregas takes the AM for creativity??

I just can't help but wonder, he has always been good for Brazil but never the same with us for the last year or so (even in the first few months of last season where everyone was applauding him I didn't think he was that spectacular). I'm starting to think that the reason he has been poor for us is the system that he has to play in. With Brazil he has a bit more freedom and he is allowed to do defensive duties in his natural way. Not link in Chelsea where (as with everyone) he has to always have one eye on tacking back and defensive duties rather then doing it from pure instinct, which means that his creative talents get stunted and he is no where near as effective as he is with Brazil.

Next season Jose has to give him that little bit of freedom on the pitch if he wants to see him perform like he did against Croatia. Let him do defensive duties due to his natural style of play rather then effectively putting a chain around his neck to do those duties. If he does performances like we saw yesterday will be much more frequent.