Oscar

themightyblue

Ganso became and was injury prone....Ganso's skillset was always very high, he was just slow and injury prone....

I love how OScar faded into oblivion and failed to fulfill early promise and potential...TBH, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Illiterate nubs would like your comment.

He's not showing signs of progression and getting any better that's for sure and he's never shown any consistency at club level be it internacional or Chelsea to suggest it's just a long barren purple patch. It's the same excuses that were made for countless failed youngsters "he's too talented not too make it", "he's just experiencing a purple patch" "He's not suited to the tactics, the managers isn't getting the best out of him" "He was fantastic (insert timeframe) and so on. we have seen it all before.

I also find it quite contradictory to the "he's not ready/good enough" bandwagon how they aren't championing the idea of Oscar being sent out on loan to prove himself and polish his skills (God knows he needs massive amount of work and improvement from a technical standpoint).

Afterall he was bought on the back of his performances at the U20 WC and friendlies for Brazil and he has yet shown or proven anything at club level. If other youngsters are on loan for this reason, then it's fair to conclude Oscar is in the team on the basis of his transfer fee and hype.

Henceforth anyone that supports Oscar and think he deserves a starting spot in the first team have absolutely no right whatsover to claim Lukaku, for example, a player who has shown far more in the premier league than Oscar ever has, isn't ready yet or good enough for first team football at Chelsea as that will just be contradiction and double standard of the highest degree.

Also we have set a precedence that we are a learning school for young players afterall as long as they cost a lot of money so the excuse that we cannot afford to accommodate/ integrate (inconsistent/relatively unproven youngsters (Oscar was unproven when we bought him) as we have aspirations to challenge for and win titles and we aren't "Southampton" no longer holds weight .

You can't support Oscar and then frown at the idea of bringing through a youngster like Chalobah for example who also has shone at youth tournaments . . . . . . . once you give Oscar a chance, you have to give other youngsters with similar talent and career path one as well.

If the rumours if him potentially leaving are true would that be the biggest hint yet we are reverting back to 4 3 3 full time?

1014981_Chelsea.jpg

I see no reason why this wouldn't work, at least against the bottom half teams we struggled against last season. Against the big boys, especially away from home, either Oscar or Fabregas could then be replaced by Ramires or MvG to give us a more balanced midfield.

I really don't think Oscar is a player suited to play in the pivot of a 4-2-3-1 like some have been suggesting for a long time now, but in a 4-3-3 I think he could do really well as the most advanced CM of the three. However, I think you might be onto something here. Mata was already sold and due to his lack of tactical versatility he was for some time the main reason why we couldn't play 4-3-3 and if Oscar goes too I don't see why we should keep continuing with the 4-2-3-1 anymore. A midfield three of Matic, Fabregas and a box-to-box midfielder, someone with better technical ability than Ramires, would potentially be great. At the moment that third midfielder would probably be MvG and I think his qualities would be well suited to play there but I'm not sure if Mourinho thinks of him as a starter just yet.

All this assuming we actually pull off the Fabregas signing. :P

1014981_Chelsea.jpg

I see no reason why this wouldn't work, at least against the bottom half teams we struggled against last season. Against the big boys, especially away from home, either Oscar or Fabregas could then be replaced by Ramires or MvG to give us a more balanced midfield.

I really don't think Oscar is a player suited to play in the pivot of a 4-2-3-1 like some have been suggesting for a long time now, but in a 4-3-3 I think he could do really well as the most advanced CM of the three. However, I think you might be onto something here. Mata was already sold and due to his lack of tactical versatility he was for some time the main reason why we couldn't play 4-3-3 and if Oscar goes too I don't see why we should keep continuing with the 4-2-3-1 anymore. A midfield three of Matic, Fabregas and a box-to-box midfielder, someone with better technical ability than Ramires, would potentially be great. At the moment that third midfielder would probably be MvG and I think his qualities would be well suited to play there but I'm not sure if Mourinho thinks of him as a starter just yet.

All this assuming we actually pull off the Fabregas signing. :P

Considering people always go on and on about the 4-2-3-1 doesn't work, how 4-3-3, 4-4-2 etc is better, it would really be nice if someone produce a detailed explanation on the intricacies as to why it doesn't work and the alternatives. Most, so far, are only scratching on its surface without necessarily going into details. It feels almost easy to say there's problem with this and that but not necessarily explaining in detail why so.

Considering people always go on and on about the 4-2-3-1 doesn't work, how 4-3-3, 4-4-2 etc is better, it would really be nice if someone produce a detailed explanation on the intricacies as to why it doesn't work and the alternatives. Most, so far, are only scratching on its surface without necessarily going into details. It feels almost easy to say there's problem with this and that but not necessarily explaining in detail why so.

I wasn't commenting on whether the current 4-2-3-1 works or not, more like speculation on what I think Mourinho might be considering. If we sold Oscar too after already selling Mata we'd have no reason to continue with the 4-2-3-1 because players like Ramires, MvG and Fabregas, should we get him, would work much better in a three man midfield than in the pivot of a 4-2-3-1.

I don't think changing the formation is some magic cure for our problems but if some minor tactical changes helped Mourinho get the best out of some players, I'm all for it.

I wasn't commenting on whether the current 4-2-3-1 works or not, more like speculation on what I think Mourinho might be considering. If we sold Oscar too after already selling Mata we'd have no reason to continue with the 4-2-3-1 because players like Ramires, MvG and Fabregas, should we get him, would work much better in a three man midfield than in the pivot of a 4-2-3-1.

I don't think changing the formation is some magic cure for our problems but if some minor tactical changes helped Mourinho get the best out of some players, I'm all for it.

Wasn't referring to you specifically but just in general. We all know these formations etc are just pretty numbers and it's the setup within the system/formation that makes it work. For all we know, Mourinho could set us up in a 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 but the results may well turn out to be the opposite of what people expect/want from the system if he goes about it the 'wrong' way.

For starters, would like to think the 4-2-3-1 is gonna work better with Mourinho making some tweaks within it and actually, having proper players in the right positions. Like a ST leading the frontline, a deep lying playmaker in the pivot and a LB in the LB spot(hopefully!).

For starters, would like to think the 4-2-3-1 is gonna work better with Mourinho making some tweaks within it and actually, having proper players in the right positions. Like a ST leading the frontline, a deep lying playmaker in the pivot and a LB in the LB spot(hopefully!).

I agree, but I'm not sure if Mourinho does. Maybe he's trying to get Fabregas to play as the DLP and all will be good after also getting Costa and Luis, but there is a real possibility that he still considers Ramires a key player and is planning on playing a pivot of Matic-Ramires with Cesc ahead of them in the position Oscar has so far been playing in. Maybe I'm alone with my opinion but for me that midfield trio would work much better with Matic sitting deep and the other two roaming more freely ahead of him while still not forgetting their defensive duties, compared to Matic and Ramires sitting deeper and Fabregas in the 'number ten position'. Never been impressed with Ramires in the pivot but I also haven't forgotten how good his performances were in a three man midfield and I think Fabregas in a deeper role would also benefit from having more players close to him because that way he wouldn't get so easily exposed defensively.

4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 are basically the same formation with some minor tweaks to suit different kinds of players so whichever we end up with I'm confident in Mourinho's abilities to get the best out of it.