Oscar

themightyblue

I suggest to wait until he is playing for Brazil in two weeks. I hope, you will be able to see the difference.

Actually if he plays well or not well in 2 weeks he will still be criticized, he is in a bit of dilemma:

1. He plays terrible- suggesting he is tired physically as he had no serious injury for the past few months and that he isn't up to it at Chelsea

2. He plays amazingly well-suggesting he has been saving his best form and energy for the WC, in which case he didn't commit enough at Chelsea, in which case he is not worthy of playing for Chelsea

So either way, he really can't win. However, I will be judging him and make the final judgement next season when there is no more distraction or excuses he could come up with/his fans could come up with for him.

Exactly.

If he plays brilliant there, it would mean he didn't put in the same effort for Chelsea, which itself is enough a reason to sell.

Truth is, he has failed us too many times in the crucial moments this season, I'm still not sure if he can make key passes to unlock defensive blocks. IMO he is nowhere near crucial to this team as Hazard is. In fact, Willian was better than him at no.10 many times.

While I agree he had a poor second half, this is still the guy who made Mata expendable in the eyes of Jose. He's 22, inconsistencies are bound to happen. If you limited his contributions only to what he does in the final third you're missing the point

Actually if he plays well or not well in 2 weeks he will still be criticized, he is in a bit of dilemma:

1. He plays terrible- suggesting he is tired physically as he had no serious injury for the past few months and that he isn't up to it at Chelsea

2. He plays amazingly well-suggesting he has been saving his best form and energy for the WC, in which case he didn't commit enough at Chelsea, in which case he is not worthy of playing for Chelsea

So either way, he really can't win. However, I will be judging him and make the final judgement next season when there is no more distraction or excuses he could come up with/his fans could come up with for him.

Or he was carrying an injury?

Or he was carrying an injury?

Doubt it, the club didn't announce anything and he was still capable of playing, just that not playing well enough. Also this kept on going since new year so that is over 4 months, in which case it isn't just a dip in form either as usually that only lasts 3-4 matches max. Unless the club and Oscar is hiding something(natural health problem...etc) it is really unlikely though.

Doubt it, the club didn't announce anything and he was still capable of playing, just that not playing well enough. Also this kept on going since new year so that is over 4 months, in which case it isn't just a dip in form either as usually that only lasts 3-4 matches max. Unless the club and Oscar is hiding something(natural health problem...etc) it is really unlikely though.

José said he was injured.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/03/jose-mourinho-chelsea-oscar-dip-form

Tactics play a part too... Brazil plays with more possession and with way more players committing forward. For Chelsea, the attacking players often don't have much support. Oscar has to work harder when playing for CHelsea than for Brazil, which he has done like Jose says above. He just does not have the consistency just yet - plus nagging injuries played a part too.

The dilemma for me is very different: I read on this forum a lot of folks requesting us to employ youngsters. Then some, even same folks, complain about the lack of consistency from our most promising young talent. Well, that's part of the package. Either we buy players who are ready (like Jose says: who don't need to improve), and then we will have a limit to the talent we can acquire (Messi will never come) or we try to build our own Messi.

Well, you might have something there. We need to wait & see.

As we know, Jose is trigger happy though. One never knows with him, what´s gonna do next.

If we can't fit players like Mata , KDB Luiz . Lukaku and Oscar into our style of play .... Perhaps our style is wrong ??

Yes it is.

We can remember the magnificent football Chelsea produced in the last 3 years.

When you say players like KdB, Luiz , Lukaku or even Mata you are talking about what? Players for example like Mata and Luiz that are not between the 10 best players in their positions in the world... FOr example for KdB I can say almost 10 young players better then him with almost the same age (Gotze, Neymar, Lucas, Oscar, Jese, Shaqiri.Sterling, Chamberlain... there you have 8, many of them younger than KdB).

If you say: "We have ROnaldo, Messi, and Toure and they don't fit"... there you have a problem. Because when you have this kind of players the team needs to fit them. When you have Mata, and Luiz (the other 2 are irrelelevant) it's difficult to win something with this players as the stars of the team because they don't have quality for that.

And for me Oscar has a lot of potential, has the right qualities for the team, but he needs to play a lot better. But it's the same situation that Mata had, he isn't good enough to make a team arround him and he needs to improve. We don't have a real star in this team, we don't have a player that consistently can produce great performances... maybe Hazard will be like that.

Oscar can do it... but he needs be more consistent and play better. If he doesn't do it, he will be sold.

Yes it is.

We can remember the magnificent football Chelsea produced in the last 3 years.

When you say players like KdB, Luiz , Lukaku or even Mata you are talking about what? Players for example like Mata and Luiz that are not between the 10 best players in their positions in the world... FOr example for KdB I can say almost 10 young players better then him with almost the same age (Gotze, Neymar, Lucas, Oscar, Jese, Shaqiri.Sterling, Chamberlain... there you have 8, many of them younger then KdB).

If you say: "We have ROnaldo, Messi, and Toure and they don't fit"... there you have a problem. Because when you have this kind of players the team needs to fit them. When you have Mata, and Luiz (the other 2 are irrelelevant) it's difficult to win something with this players as the stars of the team because they don't have quality for that.

So only with a team full of the best ten players in the world in every position can there be any hope .. Still no point in discussing with you .

You can only follow Jose ,, nothing else is possible in your eyes . and the players you so easily denigrate have proven class ... You just can't see it .

you came to the forum when he returned your bias is so obvious.

If we can't fit players like Mata , KDB Luiz . Lukaku and Oscar into our style of play .... Perhaps our style is wrong ??

If I could, I'd like to dissect this with you.

Mata, I believe it wasn't sustainable to have both him an Oscar. Managers tried the combination of Oscar, Mata, Hazard but it presented evident problems that just wasn't able to have them function (probably because Mata/Oscar aren't wide players). Mourinho made a judgment call and only time will tell if he made the right one. But if Van Gaal is even ready to sell Mata....?

KDB: Very unlucky, I think he actually did suit our style but my belief is that his sale was simply down to the fact we had too many players for him to compete with. On top of Hazard, Oscar and Mata (at the time) he's also got Willian & Schurrle occupying the wider roles. for KDB it was either stick it out or leave and no-one can have any qualms with him leaving.

Luiz: As many have said, I don't think Luiz could have ever reached his potential in England. Technical defenders simply don't have the space to flourish like they would in Spain or France or Germany. We're not about the tiki taka b/s, he'd have struggled at City, Liverpool and/or United. It's why he did excel in Europe though, to an extent.

Lukaku: Well, Mourinho is wrong here. Hopefully, he'll realise that before it's too late.

Oscar: Oscar suits us, I believe. He's shown it to us when he first arrived and he demonstrated it to Mourinho in the first half of the season. For whatever reason he's done a Jekyll/Hyde and we must hope it's an issue of form/confidence.

I think a combination of everything you guys said happened.

He was injured at least twice since January, he had a dip of form and he had been mentally distracted by the world cup.

I think he can't help in any of the three because I doubt that he consciously spared himself for the world cup. That comical (not to say ridiculous) interview by Parreira confirmed that Oscar preferred to have been playing ahead of the world cup instead of being in the bench, so I think the problem was his little age and experience.

He was just hit by the pressure (maybe even having to replace Mata, although I'm not so sold on that) and physical issues and then he had some terrible months for us, but I wouldn't for one moment question his commitment to us when he says privately to his NT staff that he wishes he'd played more.

At the end of the day he's just too young and although he's very precocious he's still only a 22yo and I think his inability to deal with anxiety, pressure and to keep playing in a consistent high level affected him. I expect most of those things to be dealt with after the WC - maybe except the physical issues. This boy played way too much football in the last two years and a half and when you look at him you see the opposite of a Cristiano Ronaldo, whose body is a machine. If anything, Oscar looks frail, still he's probably one of the top 10 (maybe even top5) players in most matches played ranking in the last twenty-five months.