Oscar

themightyblue

Strongly disagree. Work-rate is amazing, but you need your #10 to provide more than hard work. They have to be able to make a major impact on offense. He has now played 45 games in in the Premier League and has 8 goals and 5 assists. (11 games this season, 0 assists) That's abysmal. Oscar needs to play but like everyone else, he should have to earn it and hard work shouldn't be the only thing that matters.

Always messing up and manipulating stats at your desire!!!

Oscar was 21, in his first season in Europe and playing out of position; of course he has bad stats...

But this season (until the Newcastle game), he has earned it and has actually played better than everyone else who is competting with him. He has scored goals, protected the defense and created chances. However, it is not his fault he has zero assists if his teammates cant score after a good pass (like today).

Our attack had been very poor, most of it not his fault. It took 3 months for our strikers to score, Hazard is a shell of himself, we cant find a DLP for him to share the responsibilities, etc. It makes things harder...

The numbers itself arent very good (although better if only looking at the current season), but when you see the reasons behind it, you realise they arent abysmal!!!

Now: Oscar has had some very bad games lately. If he continues to perform like that, he must be benched...

Always messing up and manipulating stats at your desire!!!

Oscar was 21, in his first season in Europe and playing out of position; of course he has bad stats...

But this season (until the Newcastle game), he has earned it and has actually played better than everyone else who is competting with him. He has scored goals, protected the defense and created chances. However, it is not his fault he has zero assists if his teammates cant score after a good pass (like today).

Our attack had been very poor, most of it not his fault. It took 3 months for our strikers to score, Hazard is a shell of himself, we cant find a DLP for him to share the responsibilities, etc. It makes things harder...

The numbers itself arent very good (although better if only looking at the current season), but when you see the reasons behind it, you realise they arent abysmal!!!

Now: Oscar has had some very bad games lately. If he continues to perform like that, he must be benched...

Given how much he works when he's on the pitch and how little rest he gets, it was bound to happen

These are not complex stats. Goals and assists for an attacking player are a crucial indicator of their performance. Not everything mind you, but they matter a lot. Even if you just look at this season. 11 games, 4 goals 0 assists. Still not good although a lot better than last season. (And it's not just statistical, Oscar plays too much with his head down and doesn't read the play as well as top creators can.) And yes, poor finishing is always a part of low assist totals but Oscar's problem is that he just doesn't create enough chances. Oscar has created fewer chances than Mata despite much more playing time. (Also, the same number of chances as Lampard and Schurrle and fewer than Ramires). Your #10 needs to be creating chances and he isn't. I agree that most of the attack's problems are not Oscar's fault, they're no one's fault in particular but the team's fault as a while, but right now, he simply isn't doing what he needs to do. 3 straight sub-par games on a team loaded with attacking midfielders should earn him time on the bench. Mata hasn't started 3 games in a row all season. I see Chelsea in the middle right now as combinations of Oscar-Lampard and Mata-Mikel. (Oscar doesn't create enough so with Mikel, we are way too defensive. Mata is poor defensively and Lampard simply does not give enough cover.) Right now, I think the second combination needs a chance to see what they can do for a few games. Oscar will (and should) still get a ton of playing time.

So, question?

If Mata was playing under MOurinho tactics, do you think we would of had a better record right now? Do you think mata would have better stats?

These are not complex stats. Goals and assists for an attacking player are a crucial indicator of their performance. Not everything mind you, but they matter a lot. Even if you just look at this season. 11 games, 4 goals 0 assists. Still not good although a lot better than last season. (And it's not just statistical, Oscar plays too much with his head down and doesn't read the play as well as top creators can.) And yes, poor finishing is always a part of low assist totals but Oscar's problem is that he just doesn't create enough chances. Oscar has created fewer chances than Mata despite much more playing time. (Also, the same number of chances as Lampard and Schurrle and fewer than Ramires). Your #10 needs to be creating chances and he isn't. I agree that most of the attack's problems are not Oscar's fault, they're no one's fault in particular but the team's fault as a while, but right now, he simply isn't doing what he needs to do. 3 straight sub-par games on a team loaded with attacking midfielders should earn him time on the bench. Mata hasn't started 3 games in a row all season. I see Chelsea in the middle right now as combinations of Oscar-Lampard and Mata-Mikel. (Oscar doesn't create enough so with Mikel, we are way too defensive. Mata is poor defensively and Lampard simply does not give enough cover.) Right now, I think the second combination needs a chance to see what they can do for a few games. Oscar will (and should) still get a ton of playing time.

Oscar has been amazing in the first couple of months, I dont see how someone can ask for more...

However, I do agree he has not being near the same level in the last three games he played. He didnt create much and he hasnt enough flair to run at defenders. We should definitely try something else, like Mata and Mikel (just as you said).

Oscar has been amazing in the first couple of months, I dont see how someone can ask for more...

However, I do agree he has not being near the same level in the last three games he played. He didnt create much and he hasnt enough flair to run at defenders. We should definitely try something else, like Mata and Mikel (just as you said).

He really needed some rest after starting the last two matches. Today was an opportunity to play Mata...Thought he actually was ok, not too great. The long pass to Hazard in penalty area was great to watch.

Oscar, at least to me, is putting in the same performances he did back in August/September - he created little chances then and he's still creating very little now. The only difference is that he's not scoring as much. I think the goals deflected attention away from the fact that he rarely had an impact in attack if he wasn't scoring.

I see Chelsea in the middle right now as combinations of Oscar-Lampard and Mata-Mikel. (Oscar doesn't create enough so with Mikel, we are way too defensive. Mata is poor defensively and Lampard simply does not give enough cover.) Right now, I think the second combination needs a chance to see what they can do for a few games. Oscar will (and should) still get a ton of playing time.

The Mata and Mikel combination creates the same problems we had last season, in that far too much of the team's attacking threat was dependent on the performances of just two players (mata and hazard). I've been saying for a while that Oscar is not as good as Mata in the no.10 position but there's a reason why Ramires and Lampard have quite a bit of assists between the both of them. Oscar-Lampard balances the team offensively (and also defensively) - well at least in theory.

Brazil's high pressing is something to behold, 5 players up the field stifling the opposition until their knees buckle. I thought Oscar had a great game.

That's exactly how i wish chelsea to play or like realmadrid's laliga winning season with mourinho. NO time for spains slow tika taka stuff.

we need more runners into the box in our team, thats the only way our high pressing can work. Hazard needs to make diagonal runs into the box more often just like he did once against westbrom for oscars long pass to him

That's exactly how i wish chelsea to play or like realmadrid's laliga winning season with mourinho. NO time for spains slow tika taka stuff.

No chance of doing that unless you've got machine like players in Luis Gustavo and Paulinho, who can defend, press and bomb forward with finesse all day long. That's why I'm so adamant when it comes to Frank having such a free pass in a vital position for us. It hurts the team.

No chance of doing that unless you've got machine like players in Luis Gustavo and Paulinho, who can defend, press and bomb forward with finesse all day long. That's why I'm so adamant when it comes to Frank having such a free pass in a vital position for us. It hurts the team.

True, gustavo and paulinho's high energy alone allow them to bomb forward like that