Oscar

themightyblue

I think oscar plays better when another creator of chances is playing with him. When the onus is on oscar to create, (no fabregas or Mata to take the creative burden) he normally disappoints.

This is because his best talent is tackling no matter how we try to beat around the bush. His job is to win the ball for the creative midfielders to create. Luckily for him pressing is a huge part of Mourinho's tactics so he'll always have a place here but I think he should play on the wings and hazard to the center when fabregas isn't playing because he disappoints if he's asked to be the creative player.

One good thing he's added to his game though is score or assist when playing shit. But his overall performance in a match has to improve, too much 4/10 performances.

Oscar has been one of my favorites ever since he came but his inconsistencies... Sigh.

Still have hope that he can get better, because when he is on form he is great but that needs to happen much more often (much much more actually). Don't really want to give up on him yet but if in the summer a player like Isco becomes available then I would be happy.

I think oscar plays better when another creator of chances is playing with him. When the onus is on oscar to create, (no fabregas or Mata to take the creative burden) he normally disappoints.

This is because his best talent is tackling no matter how we try to beat around the bush. His job is to win the ball for the creative midfielders to create. Luckily for him pressing is a huge part of Mourinho's tactics so he'll always have a place here but I think he should play on the wings and hazard to the center when fabregas isn't playing because he disappoints if he's asked to be the creative player.

One good thing he's added to his game though is score or assist when playing shit. But his overall performance in a match has to improve, too much 4/10 performances.

yes, tbh we might be better off converting him into the CM and switching him with Cesc.

Though, that would require him bulking up a bit....

That's one of the problems right there: unless you are there in training what you see isn't really that much - but you already know that. Really good games and go missing - isn't that typical of youngsters?

Have you perhaps considered that all that defensive work he is told to do by his manager may be preventing him from showing more in attack? Players have only so much energy. We don't really know what he is instructed to do, but my point (and others) is that he seems to be doing what he's been asked to do... Hence the starts and the new deal.

I don't think he can show any more in attack because he is not a naturally creative player. He's basically a jack of all trades but master of none type of midfielder

All i know is that as soon Oscar puts good few good performances, he will be again undropabble by same people who want him out now.

Just take a look at Willian thread.

Anyone who says we should sell him is wrong. He's still 23, plenty of time to improve especially as midfielders tend to get better later in their careers.

But we know his weakness and his strengths so far and because of his poor 2nd half to the season last year people are scared it's happening again.

yes, tbh we might be better off converting him into the CM and switching him with Cesc.

Though, that would require him bulking up a bit....

He won't play well in cm in my opinion. But with his pressing and tackling style of play, he would be even better if he was stronger physically.

Well that's one theory - that he's lucky to be here. Howerver the evidence - his many starting xi appearances as well the new deal - suggest otherwise. Is it not more logical to just assume there something Oscar does that pleases both the club and the manager? You all may disagree with Jose, but that's not going to change much.

Concerning kdb, obviously he wasn't doing much in training. Remember some comments by Jose alluring to that.

Being handed a new deal doesn't mean the manager and club are right. Even managers are prone to having blind faith on players.

Also, if we're just gonna resort to the 'Mourinho knows more than the us all' like you did there, we might as well just quit the forum and be a passive fan, agreeing with everything he does.

Anyone who says we should sell him is wrong. He's still 23, plenty of time to improve especially as midfielders tend to get better later in their careers.

But we know his weakness and his strengths so far and because of his poor 2nd half to the season last year people are scared it's happening again.

He may be 23 years old but how long more can we stick with that as an excuse? There's hardly been any marked improvement in his game and/or performances. He's been inconsistent and there's hardly even a gradual improvement in his abilities as a player.

Moreover, I don't think people are scared that he's going to go AWOL again for the second half of the season. More of frustration than anything else. Can't keep playing players who don't bother to turn up and have passengers in the starting XI.

He may be 23 years old but how long more can we stick with that as an excuse? There's hardly been any marked improvement in his game and/or performances. He's been inconsistent and there's hardly even a gradual improvement in his abilities as a player.

Moreover, I don't think people are scared that he's going to go AWOL again for the second half of the season. More of frustration than anything else. Can't keep playing players who don't bother to turn up and have passengers in the starting XI.

Oscar is annoyingly inconsistent in his passing but he's still important in our pressing style.

Tbh if someone like isco, Koke or reus available in the summer then we have a case to get rid of Oscar, but it's not easy to find available players that have his workrate and still have good vision too.

All i know is that as soon Oscar puts good few good performances, he will be again undropabble by same people who want him out now.

Just take a look at Willian thread.

That doesn't apply to Oscar though. When he's playing well either this thread is very quiet or people come nitpick like they did when he picked 5 uncompleted passes in the second half (I guess against Liverpool).

In general people have a hard time admitting they're wrong, so they rather just disappear from here.

Oscar is annoyingly inconsistent in his passing but he's still important in our pressing style.

Tbh if someone like isco, Koke or reus available in the summer then we have a case to get rid of Oscar, but it's not easy to find available players that have his workrate and still have good vision too.

Even if a better guy comes along, we should keep him. We don't want to be like that in another position. We don't have any replacement at all for Cesc, Matic is pretty much hard to replace too. It's not enough to have only one amazing player. We need a replacement that can do at least part of work.

Last season Mourinho rotated much more in the AMs positions. Only Hazard had a captive position in the starting XI. If a better CAM comes along, Oscar can start a few matches there (when the other guy needs a rest or is injured) and he can even take turns in wing with Willian (I refuse to include Cuadrado until he proves to me he isn't Willian 2.0 - meaning he won't add much and will take more than a season to start producing well, adapting to the physicality).

Wasn't talking about his passing, but overall performances. When he goes AWOL, even our pressing suffers.

Just a little warning for those who want to ditch hard workers for players who "produce more".

Real Madrid have Bale, Ronaldo and James behind the striker and have just lost to Atletico for the 4th time this season.

The importance of balance in a team is so overlooked it's ridiculous.

Just a little warning for those who want to ditch hard workers for players who "produce more".

Real Madrid have Bale, Ronaldo and James behind the striker and have just lost to Atletico for the 4th time this season.

The importance of balance in a team is so overlooked it's ridiculous.

ronaldo and bale dont track back. watch niguez's goal. watch how bale leaves him totally free to run, something we all should agree willian is great at, and please just watch villa's goal and see how good oscar really is in defending.

no one is overlooking the importance of balance.but that is not what oscar is providing. saying is oscar is providing balance and people are just overlooking his "importance" takes me back 4-5 years when people so adamantly said the same things about miikel.

replacing oscar with willian and cuadrado on the RW for this season and then asking for cesc to be played in the no.10 position with a pivot of pogba-matic is hardly wanting to play an unbalanced team.

I wasn't talking about Oscar per se despite this being his thread, what I am trying to say is it may sound good signing a flashy number 10 and a "right midfielder like Hazard" but unless there prepared to do donkey work we will face the same problems against well balanced sides just like Real do against Atletico (I called it in the summer that Leti will have the beating of Real this season, im not remotely surprised by the record Real simply have too many "best players" if that makes sense).

Also Oscar's productivity has improved a lot this season anyway, he has scored 6 goals this season and 5 have opened the scoring, Palace and Newcastle especially could well have ended up in dropped point's if Oscar didn't score when he did and the Villa and Swansea goals set the tempo for an easy match.

If we lift the title in May, Oscar and Willian have earned their medals as much as anyone.

Even Mikel would be :ph34r:

I wasn't talking about Oscar per se despite this being his thread, what I am trying to say is it may sound good signing a flashy number 10 and a "right midfielder like Hazard" but unless there prepared to do donkey work we will face the same problems against well balanced sides just like Real do against Atletico (I called it in the summer that Leti will have the beating of Real this season, im not remotely surprised by the record Real simply have too many "best players" if that makes sense).

Also Oscar's productivity has improved a lot this season anyway, he has scored 6 goals this season and 5 have opened the scoring, Palace and Newcastle especially could well have ended up in dropped point's if Oscar didn't score when he did and the Villa and Swansea goals set the tempo for an easy match.

If we lift the title in May, Oscar and Willian have earned their medals as much as anyone.

fair enough, but i dont think anyone here is wanting to buy just attacking players. people want a reus or someone who is as adept defensively as oscar.

those stats are so misleading. the newcastle goal opener was a tap in after willian's hard work. infact after a half where he must have lost the ball 50% of the time he touched is the bare minimum he was supposed to do. we were lucky not to be 2-0/3-0 down after being exposed defensively by his constant give aways. we dont seem to control the game like we should be doing with him on the pitch and his performances are no where near the ones that our no.1 no10 should be putting.

fair enough, but so would GC and mikel and everyone who has played there respective parts, but it still does not mean that there is no room for improvement. teams like city wont always have such a poor season as they are having currently (unable to beat woeful hull and giving away 2-0 leads to sunderland and burnley, losing to stoke at etihad, losing to arsenal at etihad).