the wes

Daniel-Sturridge-Chelsea.jpg

Name: Daniel Sturridge
Position: Forward
Number: TBC
Joined From: Manchester City
Fee: Undisclosed
Signed by: Carlo Ancelotti

The second signing of Carlo Ancelotti's reign as Chelsea manager, Daniel Sturridge joins Franco di Santo as another teenage understudy to Didier Drogba and Nicolas Anelka. A strong, powerful forward with bundles of pace and energy, Sturridge rejected an improved contract at the City of Manchester Stadium following the end of the 2008/09 season, alerting Chelsea's Italian coach.

Sturridge joined just a day after Chelsea had confirmed their first transfer of the summer; another young English player in the form of goalkeeper Ross Turnbull. With UEFA pushing for more homegrown players to be imported into squads, Sturridge will join both Turnbull and Chelsea's other young English prospects, including the likes of Jacob Mellis, Michael Mancienne and Jack Cork, as the club look to increase their English quota at the club.

Though Sturridge will be hard-pressed to gain a space in Ancelotti's starting eleven with strikers such as the aforementioned Drogba and Anelka at the club, the young English forward was part of a similar set-up to Manchester City last season - with strikers such as Robinho, Caicedo and Bellamy being preferred - but still managed to net four goals in 27 appearances last term - despite the overwhelming majority of those coming as a substitute. Sturridge scored a penalty against Arsanal in 2008, which resigned the Gunners to a 3-0 defeat at Eastlands, and was the catalyst in a stunning fight-back at Ewood Park, where he scored and created two goals in the space of five minutes as City came from 2-0 down to secure a point. More of the same attitude from the young striker would certainly be welcomed at Stamford Bridge.

Sturridge has made an immediate impression in Chelsea blue; scoring against the Seattle Sounders in a 2-0 friendly win, before winning a penalty against Internazionale, that was duly converted by teammate Frank Lampard.

probably not..

turnbull wasn't presented with a number, just a shirt with his name on it.

Yup i thought the same thing. I guess with a number of players who are certainly on their way out and possibly another 1 or 2 on the way in they are waiting till all deals are done before deciding officially on their squad numbers.

Nice profile Alex ;) I am quite excited by this young English player. I know he won't be starting many games, but definitely one for the long term.

The is the element of the unknown about him which is exciting. I think from what i have seen of him he may suprise a few people this season when he gets his chances.

The is the element of the unknown about him which is exciting. I think from what i have seen of him he may suprise a few people this season when he gets his chances.

I think when drogba and kalou go to africa he will get some starts with anelka.

I think when drogba and kalou go to africa he will get some starts with anelka.

I think he will get plenty of time even before that! If he can have a good pre season he has an excellant chance of getting the oppertunities to show what he can do.

I think he will get plenty of time even before that! If he can have a good pre season he has an excellant chance of getting the oppertunities to show what he can do.

If we do sign aguero though that will set him and di santo back a long way in my opinion.