Daniel Sturridge

the wes

Apparently Wilkins said on Sky Sports yesterday how Sturridge had an attitude about playing wide and only wanted to play centrally. If he had that attitude behind the scenes then good riddance. In all honesty there are people going on far too greater lengths to defend Sturridge here, in his time at Chelsea he had 5/6 months of proper footballl where he did well. The club clearly don't want to keep him and they see more than us. I'm sure we're not going to regret letting Sturridge go and from what Wilkins apparently said, i'd much rather have players like Moses etc

"If you remember, at the time, 2010, Anelka and Drogba were rubbish. Sturridge was impressing in the very limited outings he got - many Chelsea fans were asking for him to be starting. Even at this point he was playing some reserve football when he was clearly too good for this, scoring 5 goals in one game, and there's a video of him scoring 3 goals in a training match - but he never got a chance.

He was well within his rights to ask why he wasn't getting more chances, which probably led to his loan to Bolton, where he promptly did better than anything Torres or Anelka had shown at CFC that season. I'm sure Lukaku probably did the same when he was playing reserves and the CF's were not doing well - he even came out to the media and was pretty malicious about that. "

For the people who wanted him to be our starting striker - err, what role exactly did you want him to play? Target man/hold-up man? A poacher?

He certainly never had the control to be a target man, and was out of position (yes, when played centrally) too often to be a poacher. So what role exactly?

In a top team, you need specific roles. In a small team like Liverpool, you don't need specific roles - only positions. Which is probably why it'll look like he's flourishing there.

Who cares how many goals he scored? Wasn't there some news recently that some African player (i think) scored more goals than Messi in a calendar year? So should he now go down as one of the greatest ahead of Messi?

"If you remember, at the time, 2010, Anelka and Drogba were rubbish. Sturridge was impressing in the very limited outings he got - many Chelsea fans were asking for him to be starting. Even at this point he was playing some reserve football when he was clearly too good for this, scoring 5 goals in one game, and there's a video of him scoring 3 goals in a training match - but he never got a chance.

He was well within his rights to ask why he wasn't getting more chances, which probably led to his loan to Bolton, where he promptly did better than anything Torres or Anelka had shown at CFC that season. I'm sure Lukaku probably did the same when he was playing reserves and the CF's were not doing well - he even came out to the media and was pretty malicious about that. "

That doesn't give him the right to demand where he played. Apparently Wilkins and Carlo were both trying to get him to play a wider role, but he was insistent on wanting to play centrally. All of the players from Henry to Yorke to Walcott had to do years on the right before getting the role he wanted, and so what that screams of sturridge is arrogance. I have no reason to doubt what Wilkins apparently said seeing as though he actually worked at Chelsea and so would have seen what Sturridge is actually like. It's just not the right attitude to have and the fact that we haven't even worked hard to keep him despite trying very hard to sign him a few years back speaks volumes. You can bring up all of these quotes from the media, but a lot of people put on fronts when speaking to the press so that they don't gain a bad reputation, its just how the world works, not just in football. It's clear Sturridge had a bit of an ego/attitude, maybe before it was just rumours but once I read all of this stuff from Wilkins yesterday then it was abundantly clear

I would understand this reaction if we were selling a player like Hazard, Mata, Ramires to a rival club, but it's bleeding Dan Sturridge. A guy who's done well for 6 months with us, but at the same time has been gotten rid of by two top clubs (Us and City) and has an attitude to boot despite not even being a top player.

I would understand this reaction if we were selling a player like Hazard, Mata, Ramires to a rival club, but it's bleeding Dan Sturridge. A guy who's done well for 6 months with us, but at the same time has been gotten rid of by two top clubs (Us and City) and has an attitude to boot despite not even being a top player.

He left City because they wouldn't pay him £60k after about a dozen games. We did.

Contrast that with Mata who came to London on a reduced contract, proved himself and then got an improved one.

We've moved on. We've got Hazard, Marin, Moses, Oscar and Piazon for the wings and we'll buy a new striker in a couple of weeks in all likelihood. Some people need to give the board some credit for making £12 million on a striker who could move for free next year - remember how much we laughed at Arsenal for putting themselves in that situation with RVP and now Walcott?? He had no future here so we sold him for about twice what we paid for him.

That is good business.

That is like saying if we sold Piazon for £10million, no one has a right to be dissappointed because he's not our best player. Sturridge has potential as a striker, yet is just another cast away. Is 60k a week suddenly a lot now? For what Sturridge has done with us, 60k a week is about what you'd expect. He's also played for two top clubs as well - is Huntelaar therefore also a bad player? Mancini even said last season he'd take Sturridge back. Who knows if we'll be saying the same?

That is like saying if we sold Piazon for £10million, no one has a right to be dissappointed because he's not our best player. Sturridge has potential as a striker, yet is just another cast away. Is 60k a week suddenly a lot now? For what Sturridge has done with us, 60k a week is about what you'd expect. He's also played for two top clubs as well - is Huntelaar therefore also a bad player? Mancini even said last season he'd take Sturridge back. Who knows if we'll be saying the same?

Of course people have a right to be disappointed, but it's going a lot further than that with people having a go at the board, Torres and the club in general. Sturridge isn't a key player and considering that Moses is on 50K, Mata joined on 65k it is quite a lot, especially after we bought Sturridge with him having only played 10 or so games in the league. In fact it's taking the piss considering where he was at the time. And you've just proved my point really, Hutntelaar hasn't been good enough to make it at the top club. Same for Sturridge

Whereas I find it baffling that because he's played less than 200mins as a lone striker, that deems hims 'good enough' to be starting up front for us. He's unproven and a club like Chelsea isn't exactly known for being a proving ground for young players.

Dwight Yorke made some excellent points regarding Sturridge after yesterdays game. Both he and Ray Wilkins agreed that he's not ready to be a lone striker, even if he thinks he is. Yorke argued that as a young player, you take what you're given in terms of chances in the team, even if it was out wide. He said he himself hated playing out wide, even if he thought it didn't suit his game, but he did it anyway to build himself a reputation and become an established member of the team. Thierry Henry was the same. This is where my problem with Sturridge lies. He was dropped by Di Matteo and Benitez because he didn't work hard enough on the wings (i'm assuming here, obviously we'll never know for sure) because he was so sure that out wide was not where he belongs. His insistence on being a centre forward (let's call it naive ambition) seems to be his undoing, when the managers that he's played under obviously don't think he's ready. Wilkins said that even when he was at the club with Carlo, Sturridge insisted that he was ready to challenge both Drogba and Anelka as the lone striker. Carlo thought that he was better suited to the wings, obviously to this day he still disagrees, despite being a decent player for us (at times) under AVB. If he'd have worked on his game out wide, perhaps he would've eventually got game time up front. The obvious example of this is Theo Walcott, who has had to wait for his chance, but is now getting it and is making strides.

The problem is that there has always been a better player in front of him in the squad up front and he has done nothing out wide at Chelsea to prove that he deserves to be a lone striker. Perhaps this season would've been different, he's been injured and hasn't been able to play as much, even though we only have one other striker. He probably knew that we'd buy another striker in January anyway, and, with his contract coming to an end, it seems like a good time for him to leave. Sometimes it just doesn't work out for players in football, and it's obvious that this is the case with Sturridge.

Might not agree, but I do prefer these responses to the plain he was rubbish & he'll never be good. You make an excellent point about his desire to play striker being a deterrence from him being anywhere near the squad. Though I recall he did clarify many times he was simply happy to be playing, I'm sure he didn't graciously accept that as Anelka did when Drogba came back into the team.

...And there lies the problem for Sturridge. He's rated highly and looks bright when he plays - he was probably Chelsea's best player against MSK Zilina on Tuesday - but he spends most of his time on the bench. He has made just three Premier League starts for the club and, while he is not stupid enough to start kicking up a fuss, you can sense a degree of frustration.

Just champion: Daniel Sturridge scores against MSK Zilina

'I'm at the age when I want to be starting. I'm not saying the manager needs to oust other players to get me in but I need to be playing more often. It's important at a young age to be playing regularly because that's how you learn to play the game.

'When you're coming off the bench it's difficult to get into the pace of the game and do well. I don't want to be branded a super-sub. I'd rather be branded a super-starter.

'It's quite frustrating but you have to find a way of dealing with that because you're not going to get everything your own way. The opportunities will come.

'Look at Gareth Bale. He's doing amazingly but it wasn't so long ago people were talking about how he hadn't won a game. That's from the conf idence of playing regularly.'

For the moment, Sturridge can still be classed a young player. But in a year or two, you would argue, he needs to be fulfilling his potential - even if that means doing what he doesn't want to do and leaving Chelsea. Swansea tried to take him on loan this week but Sturridge isn't interested, for now.

'If the opportunities don't come in due time, obviously I will have to look elsewhere,' he adds. 'Because it is only a matter of time until you get frustrated. But you have to be patient at a club like Chelsea. 'Going out on loan doesn't always do you good. It could be better to stay and work hard because it will then feel so much better when you do get your chance.

'I want to be a regular at Chelsea - not anywhere else. I believe I am able to start games for Chelsea. I've spoken to the manager about getting opportunities.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1333077/Daniel-Sturridge-Im-like-players-.html#ixzz2G0i5SiHk

Interview from around the time, which is what I was saying. He was well within his right to ask for more chances. Obviously because it is Sturridge it somehow turns to monster bastard Sturridge demands he plays CF over Drogba. Apparently it's a crime to have self-belief.

Interview from around the time, which is what I was saying. He was well within his right to ask for more chances. Obviously because it is Sturridge it somehow turns to monster bastard Sturridge demands he plays CF over Drogba. Apparently it's a crime to have self-belief.

Mate you have a huge degree of paranoia when it comes to Sturridge. There've been murmurs about Sturridge's arrogance, Wilkins basically confirmed that yesterday about not wanting to play a wider role (I watched it for myself now, so know it's not twitter lies). If you can't see it, then there's no use arguing

Mate you have a huge degree of paranoia when it comes to Sturridge. There've been murmurs about Sturridge's arrogance, Wilkins basically confirmed that yesterday about not wanting to play a wider role (I watched it for myself now, so know it's not twitter lies). If you can't see it, then there's no use arguing

I am convinced that if you play Torres on a wider role , he will immediately leave Chelsea,because that isn´t his real position.I also would be angry at Chelsea,if Chelsea would not allow me to reach my full potential and that is the reason why Sturridge is angry.He is still young,but other players like Welbeck got more chances to play as a CF at United than Sturridge got at Chelsea .

Sturridge is a very good striker.I have seen him playing at Bolton and he was good,really good.We don´t give young players the chances they deserve and I expect that Feruz,Lukaku,Josh McEachran and Piazon to leave us after two or three years and the reason why they will leave us is that they did not get the chances to show their potential at Chelsea.Our managers give a shit about young players.Only Pep would give players like Josh McEachran a chance,because Joshy would fit perfectly in his system.Jose Mourinho,Carlo,AVB and RDM did not give the young players the chance to be a Chelsea player and that makes me really sad.

Sorry for my english.I am still trying to learn English at school haha

I don't exactly get why some people are so satisfied that Sturridge is leaving? Yes, perhaps he wasn't a world class player but the certain notion that he was an "arrogant, cocky player who demanded to play up front" is ridiculous. He is a decent young player with bags of ability as he showed last season where he was our top goal scorer in the league despite 1) playing out wide and 2) sporadically playing in the second half of the season.

This false imaginary thought that he isn't good enough to play up front (even though he's never in a CFC first team shirt had a prolonged time as a CF) is ridiculous. Everyone seems to forget that for his whole life he's played up front, through his youth playing days all the way up to when he first broke through at City. Of course he's going to have a preference of playing up front. Fact is, over his career, whenever he's played up front he's produced. It's not that people want him as our main striker (don't even know why anyone would think that) it's just about the fact that people want to see him been given a chance up front for a prolonged period! (That doesn't mean 2 starts and 10 minutes here and there at the end of a game).

Fact remains that Sturridge never had a chance at CFC, and that's why certain people are sad, because he was a good player with a lot of potential. I'm happy for Danny, as I think he'll finally have a platform to produce at at Liverpool. £12m is a decent deal for both sides. Hopefully he won't come back to haunt us.

So, if you've played as a striker for your whole life, and suddenly got played out wide, wouldn't you be a little bit annoyed? Also, Wilkins might have said whatever, but did he ever say Sturridge was arrogant about it? Prove that to me. It's imaginary in your head, the media have passively put it in your head.