Daniel Sturridge

the wes

I'm sure i have seen it on 4 or more different occasions.

I just typed in: "Danny Sturridge wants to play as centre forward" on Google, so many results with so many different dates.

My point proved - you can't really use a Google search to proclaim that Sturridge frequently "complains" about not playing upfront.

I just typed in: "Danny Sturridge wants to play as centre forward" on Google, so many results with so many different dates.

Papers tend to run out of stories so re-run old stories and interviews, but put a twist on it...I wouldn't read in to that too much

How many of these have actual quotes from Danny saying so?

It just makes me sad. We've had plenty of players come through that were just not good enough for Chelsea and were sold or not re-signed, but this one is a little different. Usually, they are cases of a player who got plenty of time and didn't show enough (Jody Morris, Carlton Cole, etc...) and other times it's because there simply wasn't room for them to get regular playing time (more common) but to have a player who was our leading goal scorer last season, who has had real success early in his career and who wants to play at a position where we have no depth just seems bizarre. I think it's highly unlikely Sturridge will ever become a fantastic player, but I think he'll be a useful player in the Premier League for the next decade with a chance to be more. (I think a good comparison to what I expect Sturridge to be able to do could be Jermain Defoe. Similar in some ways...speed, powerful shot, accused of selfishness, starts some, comes off the bench some. There's a lot of value in that.)

Defoe is arguably the best natural finisher this country has produced in the last decade. Danny isn't.

He's a good player with a ton of potential but he's still the same kid who left City because they wouldn't pay him £60k a week. Personally I think we've done well to replace him with Moses and if we get him, Walcott. I'm not that upset he's leaving either - I was more upset when we sold Jon Harley if I'm being honest. Or Sam Dalla Bona.

Ultimately though it comes down to the contract situation. £12 million for him would be pretty good business if we're being honest.

Defoe is arguably the best natural finisher this country has produced in the last decade. Danny isn't.

He's a good player with a ton of potential but he's still the same kid who left City because they wouldn't pay him £60k a week. Personally I think we've done well to replace him with Moses and if we get him, Walcott. I'm not that upset he's leaving either - I was more upset when we sold Jon Harley if I'm being honest. Or Sam Dalla Bona.

Ultimately though it comes down to the contract situation. £12 million for him would be pretty good business if we're being honest.

Didn't say Defoe was a perfect comparison, but the best I can think of off the top of my head. Defoe is definitely a better finisher but also was getting regular striker appearances which does make it easier to hone your finishing. Sturridge has been moved all over the pitch in the last couple of years including playing exclusively midfield under RDM which was a horrible fit. It will be interesting to see how he develops (wish it weren't Liverpool) because I think he could be a very good player but he could also self-destruct if he isn't willing to improve (and listen). He was probably our second best player under AVB, carried us in a number of games and to me always disliked by some of the fans more than he should have been. (Some of it was the perception that he should have been passing to Torres because he was the guy who should have been scoring!)

How many of these have actual quotes from Danny saying so?

Vast majority of them actually.

My point proved - you can't really use a Google search to proclaim that Sturridge frequently "complains" about not playing upfront.

I did not make the point before the search. I first heard him talk about it on an interview with Talksport, then he's said it a couple times again after that (i also remember a post game interview where he said he wants to play as CF), and there's also the more recent one on how he can score 20 as centre forward.

Looks like he's 99% certain of joining Liverpool. I think its a shame he'll be leaving without being given a clear run of games. However, atleast we can be 100% sure we will be buying strikers in January.

Also, I think, and hope Lukaku will have more of a future at Chelsea. I just hope Lukaku doesnt end up like Sturridge.

I can see Sturridge scoring a few goals against us as well which is going to annoy me. I can also see him having a couple of top class seasons in a year or two's time.

Vast majority of them actually.

I did not make the point before the search. I first heard him talk about it on an interview with Talksport, then he's said it a couple times again after that, and there's also the more recent one on how he can score 20 as centre forward.

This is hardly frequent is it? It's not moaning either - he simply believes that he can score goals, which he has done since his youth, by playing up front, which he has also done since his youth days. Nothing wrong with a little bit of self belief. It's like people saying Hazard is moaning because he has a preference to play at number 10, when in all trueness it isn't that way at all.

This is hardly frequent is it? It's not moaning either - he simply believes that he can score goals, which he has done since his youth, by playing up front, which he has also done since his youth days. Nothing wrong with a little bit of self belief. It's like people saying Hazard is moaning because he has a preference to play at number 10, when in all trueness it isn't that way at all.

I didn't say he was moaning though (on this occasion) - the question was how people "know so much about him and his preferred starting spot" - and i answered because i have heard him say it, 4,5,6, different times. And Hazard is different from Sturridge, he said he's wanted to play as a '10 since he was a kid, but he'll play anywhere if it means starting.

When talking about his form and the way he has been playing in recent weeks, Sturridge is quoted to have said: That's the position I will always pick myself, centre-forward.

But whatever position the manager picks me in I'm happy and right now, for the team, I'm in the wide position.

"I will always give 100 per cent and work as hard as I can to get the success we all want."

LOL i swear i never saw this. If i did, i never would have criticized him after seeing the Hazard quotes, now i feel bad :lol: