The MMA thread

robdog

45 minutes ago, The Mak said:

Conor was not used to facing someone with the ability to take that amount of damage and not going down (and those that suggest Diaz 'gave' him the first round are laughable, no one wants to get hit that many times for feck sake!). He was loading up on his left way too much looking for the one punch knockout, leaving him tired and swinging in the second.

It will be nice to see both fighters at 155 with a full camp. I think Conor will have a better game plan going into it, but Diaz will be extremely confident if he gets him down on the mat. Will be a great spectacle! Just wish the thing wasn't on at 5am! :middlefinger:

I heard the fight will be at 170lbs. BTW look at that picture there. McGregor showed excellent stand up technique, but I just learned that he has been training with Eddie Bravo for BJJ. I think he wanted to test his ground game vs Nate, but discovered Nate is on a different level. He should have never took Nate down, but he will know this if they fight again.

for more of an understanding of the BJJ used in this fight, checkout this Gracie Breakdown

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, robdog said:

I heard the fight will be at 170lbs. BTW look at that picture there. McGregor showed excellent stand up technique, but I just learned that he has been training with Eddie Bravo for BJJ. I think he wanted to test his ground game vs Nate, but discovered Nate is on a different level. He should have never took Nate down, but he will know this if they fight again.

I can't see Conor winning if it's at 170 again. I mean, doesn't Diaz want another shot at RDA though? That's why I just assumed it would be at 155. Fighting at 170 again is just going to suit Diaz a lot more.

I don't think Conor was even trying to test his ground game, he was just desperate at that stage. He was tagged and panicked on his feet. I think he just wanted to go to ground to try and buy time to make it through the round, but it didn't work out at all...

1 minute ago, The Mak said:

I can't see Conor winning if it's at 170 again. I mean, doesn't Diaz want another shot at RDA though? That's why I just assumed it would be at 155. Fighting at 170 again is just going to suit Diaz a lot more.

It's all about the skrilla homie

72608-large-265193.jpg

1 minute ago, robdog said:

It's all about the skrilla homie

72608-large-265193.jpg

Haha, true! Conor sells a fight like no other. Some of the stuff the pair of them were saying to each other leading up to the fight were god damn hilarious! 

Either way, Uncle Dana will be happy!

21 minutes ago, The Mak said:

Haha, true! Conor sells a fight like no other. Some of the stuff the pair of them were saying to each other leading up to the fight were god damn hilarious!

I would love to see Cowboy Cerrone fight McGregor. They have a bit of a rivalry. Not sure if you heard it, but Cowboy said he would beat the lucky charms out of McGregor if they fought ^_^

IMHO that fight would end up the same as the Diaz fight....loss for McGillicutty

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-3535924/Joao-Carvalho-dies-MMA-fighter-sustained-injuries-fight-against-Charlie-Ward.html

MMA fighter Joao Carvalho dies in hospital aged 28 three days after suffering serious injuries in Dublin bout

• Portuguese fighter Joao Carvalho lost his fight for life three days after fight
  • Carvalho was taken to Beaumont Hospital after sustaining injuries
  • The 28-year-old was competing against Charlie Ward before tragic death
  • Conor McGregor, who is team-mates with Ward, said the fight should have been stopped earlier before Carvalho's death 

By Brian Hutton, Press Association and Ed Carty, Press Association

Published: 13:19 GMT, 12 April 2016 | Updated: 07:34 GMT, 13 April 2016

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/ufc/how-many-people-died-mixed-7739242

How many people have died in Mixed Martial Arts after Joao Carvalho death in Dublin?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-36027590

MMA fighter Joao Carvalho dies after Dublin event

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/4/12/11413100/mma-fighter-joao-carvalho-dies-following-tko-loss-in-ireland

MMA fighter Joao Carvalho dies following TKO loss in Ireland

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/apr/13/ireland-regulate-mma-following-death-joao-carvalho

Ireland set to regulate MMA following death of fighter João Carvalho

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well my guesses really aren't on target right now but nothing I'd like to see more than Connor kicking Diaz's arse but we shall see. I was wrong last time!! And for Robbie.

But 1st lets see how Cowboy gets on and how long Johnsons fight lasts lol

Well my guesses really aren't on target right now but nothing I'd like to see more than Connor kicking Diaz's arse but we shall see. I was wrong last time!! And for Robbie.

But 1st lets see how Cowboy gets on and how long Johnsons fight lasts lol

Guys do you think MMA is rigged? Half of my mates think it is. I personally don't think the actual fights are rigged but I feel the pre-fight hysteria and drama is staged to hype up the fight and sell more pay per view packages. 

It is kinda funny that Conor McGregor is criticising Maywheather for running away from his opponents,but he is nowhere different from him.
Conor is definetely the more skilled fighter that Nate,but Nate was pre injured,so a fully fit Nate Diaz would have been a different match though. What I think makes life for Nate tough is that he gets cuts like his brother very easily.

Great fight,Conor won more rounds in my opinion,but Conor was lucky that Nate got the succesful takedown in the last seconds.

Now,Jose Aldo vs McGregor will be fun to watch,even though I think that Conors size and speed will fuck Aldo up.

37 minutes ago, Parky said:

Guys do you think MMA is rigged? Half of my mates think it is. I personally don't think the actual fights are rigged but I feel the pre-fight hysteria and drama is staged to hype up the fight and sell more pay per view packages. 

Nah I'd never tink the bif MMA fights were rigged. Mighta been some dodgy decisions now n then but get that in every sport. Look at the current Olympics eh!

As for yje pre match hype well thats always happened. Look at boxing. Alis fights were just a hype fest. The fighters like Connor are a god send for the UFC. They're walking adverts. The more spiel and agro they give each other, winding each other up, getting under their skins, throwing shit about etc the more press time they get. The more adverts they sell. The more money they make from endorsements etc. 'People' dont want to go see some magnolia characters,

But gotta say he deserved that last night. Shame he didn't put him away so Diaz couldn't flap his lips saying he deserved the win. Offered him Part III at a lower weight! Cant see Diaz making the weight.

That Johnson fight did'nt last long! Guys got a punch. Want to see him rearrange Cormiers face the smug git.

Post fight interview

• 2 months later...

UFC 205

eddie-alvarez_498601_LeftFullBodyImage.pngConor-McGregor_302601_RightFullBodyImage.png

We4ll time for another Commor fight. This time against Alvarez for the lightweight title.

It should be a cracker but I'll give it to Connor,

Also womens Strawweight fifgt between Joanna Jedrzejczyk in her 4th title defence wirh Karolina Kowalkiewicz. I'd still ho a round with the lovely Rowdy any day.

Welterweight title holder Tyron Woodley making 1st defence to number 2 Stephen Thompson. Both say that GSP should be 1st contender if he makes a return so that woulf be interesting.

Should be a excellent fight night with other fights invluding :

Chris Weidman vs Yoel Romero

Kelvin Gastelum vs Cowboy Cerrone

Cupcake Tate vs  Raquel Pennington

So its a fridge full of Guinness and make sure the Volcano is warmed up.

Excellent card all night. Well worth staying up all night for.

Alvarez looked nervous when he came out of the dressing room.

This guys not some wannabe. Hes a damned good fighter but Conor proved he could do it.

He decked Alvares 3 times in the 1st round!

• 1 month later...

Missed UFC207 last night because I thought it was on tonight!!

But sounds like most of the fights were decided by the judges which is a sahame. Apart from Rowdy of course which I think alot of people expected would happen with her not in fighting mode for a year. Maybe shes got a new film that needed extra media attention?

7 hours ago, Unionjack said:

Missed UFC207 last night because I thought it was on tonight!!

But sounds like most of the fights were decided by the judges which is a sahame. Apart from Rowdy of course which I think alot of people expected would happen with her not in fighting mode for a year. Maybe shes got a new film that needed extra media attention?

Yea was a weak night for Ufc.

Watching Ronda get her smug face smashed in within 48 seconds was pleasing though.

14 hours ago, DDA said:

Yea was a weak night for Ufc.

Watching Ronda get her smug face smashed in within 48 seconds was pleasing though.

I used to think just like you when I saw her but then I realized all she was doing was what all those WWE wrestlers did and was playing a character, The likes of her and  Conner give a big shot in the arm for MMA

But theres been a few I still dont like eg GSP,S, Matt Hughes, Robbie Lawler, Tim Sylvia.

I miss fighters with big characters bit theres not many about now to make you dislike them. Theyre more like professional athletes.