AVB gone to Zenit

Tomo

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Youd have to elaborate because im still lost as to what any of that could mean..

I assume that means 3-4-3, stupidly high line, play midfielders at centre back, give the ball to Messi (Mata :P) and let him dribble 3 defenders before scoring a placed shot.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/7851052/Spurs-closing-on-Villas-Boas

- News is that Spurs are 'closing-in' on AVB. I am a fan of the sort of charisma and charm that AVB had...not really a fan of his uncompromising tactics which are much better suited to a different league. Thoughts, anyone? I can't really seeing any of it working unless someone can convince him to adjust to the PL

One thing that worries me a bit is that AVB got invaluable experience at Chelsea. He accomodated to the Premier League, learned that his tactical stubborness won't amount to anything, he played his first Champions League games (not that it will matter for Spurs, but an experience nevertheless), he had his first encounter with true superstars (smth that spurs don't have), high expectancy and pressure. True, he failed, but if he is as smart as people say he is, he will have learned from his mistakes and will avoid touching the hot stove twice in a row. Plus he will have smaller expectations, a more patient owner and he will try to prove everybody wrong and redeem his reputation... And he would actually have some decent players suitable for a quicker game.

As much as I would like to think that AVB would dig his own grave again (not that I want him to crash and burn, but it's Sp*rs, come on!), I don't think it would be as likely as it was with Chelsea. I think sperms are a good stepping stone for him if he indeed succeeds.

The media will rip him apart though and he has a hot temper so I can see plenty of drama happening lol. Which is why I felt he should get more experience in another league before returning to the Prem so that he'd have something to back him up.

The media will rip him apart though and he has a hot temper so I can see plenty of drama happening lol. Which is why I felt he should get more experience in another league before returning to the Prem so that he'd have something to back him up.

Will they though? I think he's going to become the darling underdog because he's with everyone's favorite Tottenham now.

Poor decision on his part imo, I really can't see him succeeding there.

Shame on two fronts: that he's chosen Tottenham and that he's probably going to fail, again.

Why would he fail?

Spurs are already playing way better then most team bar City.

If anything he should take them to the next lvl.

What clearly is his downfall is man management skills.

If AVB brings in the players he wants then i think he will succeed, no doubt.

He'll get Moutinho in for sure and Moutinho would be a suitable replacement for Modric. I think he's other signings would be low-key and inexpensive players like Romeu. I think he'll be successful but I hope when we meet him we crush Twattenham. The encounter between RDM and AVB may be akward :lol:

Dislike the fact the media slated him before being sacked in March, you cannot be expected to do a decent job while half the players are against everything you try to do. Ourselves as fans can't just blame AVB for everything, he was asked to go in clear the older players out and build a team that could play nice football and win trophies, he simply wasn't given enough cooperation from some of the players and time from the board to do it.

I am not necessarily giving the club all the blame from AVB being sacked but he doesn't deserve all that criticism from people on this forum and in the media. He made mistakes yes, maybe he took the job too soon, so what? If you were offered a top job at a top club you would bite the fuckers hands off no matter how young/inexperienced you were. Yes he should of signed another creative player be it Modric (even if he wanted him or not) or Moutinho or someone else but still he tried to work with what he had with a few changes (Sturridge, Mata, Romeu and eventually Cahill).

Also if you think about it he started the rebuilding process, selling Alex and Anelka to PSG and that Chinese club. Then he (or the club) signed Kevin De Bruyne and Thibaut Courtois from Genk as part of his long term vision, switched to a more offensive style of play and wanted to build the team around the likes of Mata, Torres and Sturridge. Roman wanted him to rebuild the team, to play a more offensive style of play and he tried that. When things went wrong it was much easier to sack AVB than sell all the senior players who were being benched/dropped/rotated like they had never been before.

I hope he does well at Spurs or whoever he manages, he deserved a bit better than what he got at Chelsea but he will have learned from his experience no doubt. As manpe said he got plenty of experience in the CL and PL despite him only being in charge for 8 months. I just hope he doesn't come back to haunt us too much but I can see it happening.

I wish AVB luck with Spurs (of course, we will still finish above them). He is likely a fine coach, but he was not the right coach for Chelsea and deserved to be sacked. My guess is that he learned a lot from his time at Chelsea and won't repeat the same mistakes.