Luke Shaw

Joker10

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who would have thought Cahill would have been as good as he was for us a few years ago?

Fair point..

Again though.. they are few and far between, so when an 18 year old becomes one of the best left backs in the country you have to take notice of that. Anyways, I'm not as concerned as it might seem, I know the club share my view, otherwise they wouldn't have chased Rooney, that deal wasn't entirely for football reasons.

Fair point..

Again though.. they are few and far between, so when an 18 year old becomes one of the best left backs in the country you have to take notice of that. Anyways, I'm not as concerned as it might seem, I know the club share my view, otherwise they wouldn't have chased Rooney, that deal wasn't entirely for football reasons.

Fabregas too maybe

Fair point..

Again though.. they are few and far between, so when an 18 year old becomes one of the best left backs in the country you have to take notice of that.

Isn't that what people were saying about Micah Richards when he was 18? It's now been several years since he broke out and despite being a key player for City in their 11/12 season, he really hasn't lived up to the hype.

I get what you're saying but I just think to base spending excessive money on a teenager (who has played only two seasons of senior football) because of some unfounded fear of missing out on the latest big English talent is extremely misguided in my opinion. Think back to all the hype that surrounded Micah Richards when he broke out, since then several other English talents have emerged. Yes we need to rebuild an English core, but you're making it out to seem as if landing Luke Shaw is the be all and end all. We would all love to have him in the team but if we miss out on him then there'll be another highly coveted English talent.

Micah was a big fish in a small pond, now he's irrelevant in a big pond. They even got Sagna to play over Micah...

Shaw could be really good, but I never buy into English hype. Except OX, OX is England's best young talent in years.....That includes Sturridge as well.

Isn't that what people were saying about Micah Richards when he was 18? It's now been several years since he broke out and despite being a key player for City in their 11/12 season, he really hasn't lived up to the hype.

I get what you're saying but I just think to base spending excessive money on a teenager (who has played only two seasons of senior football) because of some unfounded fear of missing out on the latest big English talent is extremely misguided in my opinion. Think back to all the hype that surrounded Micah Richards when he broke out, since then several other English talents have emerged. Yes we need to rebuild an English core, but you're making it out to seem as if landing Luke Shaw is the be all and end all. We would all love to have him in the team but if we miss out on him then there'll be another highly coveted English talent.

Timing is also a factor, with Cole leaving. Other english talents will come along, yes, but can you really operate like that?; the LB spot is up for grabs now, this won't turn out to be a Sturridge-saga, Shaw can actually make the position his own.

Timing is also a factor, with Cole leaving. Other english talents will come along, yes, but can you really operate like that?; the LB spot is up for grabs now, this won't turn out to be a Sturridge-saga, Shaw can actually make the position his own.

Dee25 hit it right on the head. Lets face it for value on the dollar its best we invest that 30m into our youth set up and manufacture the next Cole, Lamps, Terry... with FFP it make little sense to take a gamble on an 18yr old who's showing good promise for an English player.

Dee25 hit it right on the head. Lets face it for value on the dollar its best we invest that 30m into our youth set up and manufacture the next Cole, Lamps, Terry... with FFP it make little sense to take a gamble on an 18yr old who's showing good promise for an English player.

Wishful thinking..

It will take 50 odd years before we utilise our academy to extent of Barcelona and the like.

Wishful thinking..

It will take 50 odd years before we utilise our academy to extent of Barcelona and the like.

who said anything like Barca? WorldClass and English born are two phrases that rarely meet. What I'm talking about is investing in our youth so that we can produce our own Luke Shaw's not Iniesta. We need English representation in the squad this much is for sure, what I don't like is the notion that in order to obtain them we need to pay over the odds... Just work towards producing them at cobham and tell the southampton's of the world to eat a dick... 30m is a ridiculous sum for an unproven 18yr old LB

who said anything like Barca? WorldClass and English born are two phrases that rarely meet. What I'm talking about is investing in our youth so that we can produce our own Luke Shaw's not Iniesta. We need English representation in the squad this much is for sure, what I don't like is the notion that in order to obtain them we need to pay over the odds... Just work towards producing them at cobham and tell the southampton's of the world to eat a dick... 30m is a ridiculous sum for an unproven 18yr old LB

Again, that's not the reality at Chelsea.

We just signed a 19 year old french lad from another club, Piazon was poached, Kakuta was poached, Kalas was robbed etc etc. We don't produce, we 'sign' players from abroad. There isn't another John Terry coming out of the Chelsea setup any time soon.

R.I.P English backbone.

We just signed a 19 year old french lad from another club, Piazon was poached, Kakuta was poached, Kalas was robbed, Ake was kidnapped etc etc. We don't produce, we 'sign' players from abroad. There isn't another John Terry coming out of Chelsea's setup any time soon.

R.I.P English backbone.

Dude, the reason we haven't seen any youth graduate to the senior team has more to do with the zillions of managers we're had. There needs to be a structure in place and its just being built now... patience, Rome wasn't built in a day....

We just signed a 19 year old french lad from another club, Piazon was poached, Kakuta was poached, Kalas was robbed etc etc. We don't produce, we 'sign' players from abroad. There isn't another John Terry coming out of the Chelsea setup any time soon.

R.I.P English backbone.

Didn't we produce, Blackman, Bertand, Mcchearen, Baker, etc?

They might not make a name at Chelsea, but we do produce DECENT English talent. The only English player of note that has been produce and is World class is, Rooney.

Swift, Loftus-Cheek, Solanke & Baker are our 4 best English talents. I can pretty much gurantee none of them will make it here.

Everyone thought McEachran, Bertrand and Chalobah would be established players for us and look at how that turned out.

Signing experienced players isn't the problem (well, minus the Benayoun-Kakuta scandal), it's when you do that.. AND sign every talented ready-made youngster available. I actually don't have a problem with that, but there has to be some balance.

The one coach who actually played youngsters (Carlo) was sacked prematurely for AVB. That isn't going to happen again anytime soon.

He only played younger talent because we had so little depth and even then it was exaggerated. Josh had one premier league start in 2010-2011, it wasn't like he was a regular. You can't win in football playing a bunch of young guys and teams wanting to win the Premier League. Take someone like Januzaj. ManU fans love him, consider him a bright star in a dull season but he scored 4 goals in 35 games with awful defence and tons of turnovers as an attacking player. It's how you know ManU had an awful year. Someone like Januzaj got to play a lot. At a team like Chelsea or City,, he wouldn't have got any playing time. You know how many players on the top CL spot teams who played at least 15 games this season had fewer than 25 games in the Premier League or another professional league previous to this season? Jon Flanagan. That's it. Out of 70 or so players on the top 4 teams, only 1 semi-regular was what you could consider an inexperienced youngster.

Chelsea's method is to buy players who are already ready to play or to buy young players, loan them out, and sell them for a profit. It works. We're not suddenly going to be regularly playing youngsters. (Although we can do more to bring one or two along a season and get them into 10-15 games a year.).

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You