test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Joker10

Rumoured Luke Shaw

Started by Joker10,

2,026 posts in this topic

Ashley Cole made his Arsenal debut when he was 18 in the League Cup.

Luke Shaw is 17 and has been amongst the best and most consistent full-backs in the Premier League this season.

Just, yeah.

ChelseaUnite likes this

Dale Johnson@dalejohnsonESPN

RE Luke Shaw to Chelsea and being loaned straight back to Southampton. Prem rules state a player can't be loaned out the same window signed.

That obviously only applies to Premier League clubs and not to Football League or foreign clubs (Courtois, Butland for example)

Dale Johnson@dalejohnsonESPN

RE Luke Shaw to Chelsea and being loaned straight back to Southampton. Prem rules state a player can't be loaned out the same window signed.

That obviously only applies to Premier League clubs and not to Football League or foreign clubs (Courtois, Butland for example)

Isn't that wrong?

There seems to be this myth that one can only watch players if they're playing us. I've actually seen him in a few games and he's been nothing short of impressive in each.

Shaw could be shit, but isn't that the chance you take with young players? There aren't any guarantees so you judge them on what they show you and he's shown more at age 17 than either of the other two did by age 20. By that logic, don't you think he is a more promising youngster and don't you think we should be in the business of buying promising youngsters?

No, thats often been more the exception to the rule then the rule,

If you bothered reading my post i said buy him and loan him and see what happens,im all for buying young players, but you need experience not just talent.I just dont think the other 2 should be cast aside just yet either, especially not for a 17 year old no matter how much promise he's apparently showed.

Bertrand hasn't been awe inspiring. No one is saying Cole should be benched because Ryan is world class. Sign Shaw and let them compete and see who deserves their place in the squad I say.

Both have potential and neither are finished article just yet. Bertrand might turn out to be the better one, who knows?

It just seems that people want Shaw mainly because he's a Chelsea fan and had a couple of decent performances against us.

Bertrand was patient and worked hard through the ranks to be where he is now. He deserves to have a right go playing at LB before being written off completely. Furthermore, he is still young and developing. All this change in managers recently wouldn't have helped either.

Exactly. Who knows if Shaw will be better or not?

Both are worth taking the risk, but Bertrand has earned the right to be, at least, tested first.

I will be honest and say I think Shaw will be a much better player, but I definetly agree with you there!

No, thats often been more the exception to the rule then the rule,

If you bothered reading my post i said buy him and loan him and see what happens,im all for buying young players, but you need experience not just talent.I just dont think the other 2 should be cast aside just yet either, especially not for a 17 year old no matter how much promise he's apparently showed.

The whole idea that Bertrand is far more experienced than Shaw is simply not true. Aged 23, Bertrand has made 16 starting appearances in the Premier League. Aged 17, Shaw has made 15 starting appearances in the Premier League. The fact that Shaw has made the step from youth standard football to first team football in one of the toughest league's in the world is impressive. The truth is that both are inexperienced players, but at the moment Shaw just looks the better and more promising player.

The whole idea that Bertrand is far more experienced than Shaw is simply not true. Aged 23, Bertrand has made 16 starting appearances in the Premier League. Aged 17, Shaw has made 15 starting appearances in the Premier League. The fact that Shaw has made the step from youth standard football to first team football in one of the toughest league's in the world is impressive. The truth is that both are inexperienced players, but at the moment Shaw just looks the better and more promising player.

Ryan Bertrand has over 200 football league games under his belt. Of course he's more experienced. If Bertrand came through t Southampton instead of CFC whilst Southampton were in the PL he'd have many more games under his belt.

Ryan Bertrand has over 200 football league games under his belt. Of course he's more experienced. If Bertrand came through t Southampton instead of CFC whilst Southampton were in the PL he'd have many more games under his belt.

I'm talking about at the top level, both players are inexperienced.

The one thing that sets Shaw apart from Bertrand is the same thing that has always set Chalobah away from his contemporaries - composure. Top class players always look like they have at least a second's more time on the ball than every one else around them and unfortunately that seems to be something people either have or don't have, especially when they're still teenagers.

The other thing about Ryan (and I hate to pick on him because he's a good lad) is that he's always seemed a little too happy just waiting for Cole to hang up the boots and take over. Now I'm not going to say young pros should bitch and moan but look at Lukaku - he was genuinely pissed not to be playing and he went on loan and showed everyone what they were missing out on. Yes it's hard for a left-back to set the world on fire by the very nature of their position and he is a very capable player, but I've never really seen in him what I've seen in Shaw.

But then again, I thought Jon Harley was the next Le Saux so I could be very wrong and Ryan could be the guy for the next decade, and I'd be delighted at that.

Peace. likes this

In fact, 9 times out of 10 I'd pick Shaw over Cole. Coley hasn't exactly had the most fantastic of seasons.

It's kinda early for April Fools' jokes, don't you think?

I feel like Shaw will basically be the next Baines if anyone - not Cole or Bale - and that's not at all a bad thing, is it?

Stats likes this

In the Lazar Markovic, I've already speak my mind regarding the youths. When we see a young player which seems to have a bright future ahead of himself, we shouldn't hesitate to buy him. We shouldn't be too cocky and be like "Oh, but we already have X who, eventually, could turn out to be the new Y if all planets are aligned the XX/XX/201X...". Notice how I did put the emphasis on the conditional words.

Every young players is a risk. Nobody can profess that a youngster will live up to the expectations. We can gauge his future level, but that's all. He can be better than what we thought ; he can turn out to not be good enough to be in a major league ; he can pick up a pretty bad injury and following that having to stop his carreer ; can envolve into a different kind of player (moving from left-winger to left-back, for example) etc...

Statically wise, out of all the kids typed as the next big thing, how many of them eventually live up to the expectations ? 10%, 20% ? Not more. The rest become average players or/and fall into the deep darkness of the anonymity. That means, we shouldn't put all our eggs into the same basket — and here that basket is Ryan.

On the one hand, we have Ryan Bertrand. Some times ago now, he was typed as the next Cole, the next England left-back, et cetera... However, for some times now, his development seems to have stalled. Is it because he doesn't get enough playing time ? Is it because he has reached his limits ? Is it because of a drop of form ? Is it because he is too bothered with the stamps collection he has started this summer ? Is it... I do not know. But the important thing here, is not to know why he seems to have stalled, but to have noticed that he seems to have stalled. This way, we can take our precaution and act early. As the saying goes "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

On the second hand, we have Luke Shaw. Ima be honest here, I have seen him playing just once, so I am not going to judge him by myself. From what I read/hear here and there, people seem to agreed on one thing : he already looks like a decent Premier League player and he shows great promises. To start 15 games in Premier League at only 17, you must not be a donkey, are you not ?

Bertrand is 23 years-old — Shaw 17. By the time of his 25th birthday, we are gonna most likely know whether Ryan will make it or no, right ? By this time, Luke will be 19 years-old. For the debate sake, let's say we buy Shaw for about the same price Arsenal bought Oxlade-Chamberlaine, i.e. 15 millions pounds. In two years, we will have many answers : whether Ryan's gonna be good enough to be our starting LB ; whether we need another LB ; and we will have a better point of view to know whether Shaw will make it, and thus whether we should keep him or not. In the best case, both will turn out to be World-Class and we will be like the Oil kings. We could sell one of them and thus make profit, or keep both and have two great LB. In another case, Bertrand could turn out to be good enough, and Shaw "meh". If that happens, then we will have our starting LB, and Luke as a cover which is home-grown. In another case, Shaw might as well turn out to be a big flop. But at that time, he will be only 19/20 years-old — I am pretty sure that there would be two or three teams out there willing to try him out — thus we would be able to recoup some money.

All in all, it's pretty much a win/win situation. Even in the worst case, we would not lose that much.

So the bottom line is : to my eyes, all the lights are green to sign him. If this young dude is as good as what you guys making sound, plus bearing in mind that he is home-grown and a Chelsea fan, then it would be a shame to lose him out.

Hamilton, Jype and Spike like this