I think Torres and Sturridge are good enough to give us a top four finish.

Huntelaar would be such a step backwards simply because outside of the box he is so useless.

People want us to sign any striker in good form because of what's happening regarding our strike force but we've got to look on the grand scheme of things. It's okay if we don't win the title this season - there's no reason to panic buy a striker in January. It hinders our chance to build a proper strike force in the summer.

At CFC we require more than just a finisher up front. Huntelaar's a poor man's Falcao. We are not poor men. People will always say "anything better than Torres and Sturridge will do" but that view is way too short term in my opinion.

What does it matter? isn't his job to be in the box and putting the ball in the back of the net? Chicarito is soooo useless outside the box, he's still a deadly striker. And he's also a "poor man's Falcao" but i wouldn't say no to him at Chelsea.

And it's popular opinion that we need to get someone in January, and hopefully we will because depending on Torres to get us top 4 and probably into semi's of CL is ridiculous.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does it matter? isn't his job to be in the box and putting the ball in the back of the net? Chicarito is soooo useless outside the box, he's still a deadly striker. And he's also a "poor man's Falcao" but i wouldn't say no to him at Chelsea.

And it's popular opinion that we need to get someone in January, and hopefully we will because depending on Torres to get us top 4 and probably into semi's of CL is ridiculous.

The way we play is different to the way United play.

We don't fashion enough chances for our CF and our CF needs to be involved in play in order to fashion chances for the team.

United play with two strikers, so Hernandez has tons more space than our CF does. Hernandez would not be as good for us as he is with United - at United he plays at a poacher, we can't just have a poacher up front. It wouldn't work.

Any striker that we sign for the short term is simply not good enough for me. I prefer a long term investment that can grow with our OHM trio.

I repeat... Torres & Sturridge are good enough to get us top 4. Probably top 3 even.

If any of the Mancs, Arsenal, Lpool,..gets world class striker like Falcao, Cavani, Lewandowski,...and we stuck with this guy (who

would be perfect backup though), i will be speechless.

As long as Falcao or Cavani will be available in january, we must buy one. If they wont, then its

other thing, but if they will someone will buy them like City to extend their Pl title chances and we get Huntellar in the end...well you know the feeling...

The way we play is different to the way United play.

We don't fashion enough chances for our CF and our CF needs to be involved in play in order to fashion chances for the team.

United play with two strikers, so Hernandez has tons more space than our CF does. Hernandez would not be as good for us as he is with United - at United he plays at a poacher, we can't just have a poacher up front. It wouldn't work.

Any striker that we sign for the short term is simply not good enough for me. I prefer a long term investment that can grow with our OHM trio.

I repeat... Torres & Sturridge are good enough to get us top 4. Probably top 3 even.

I agree we do not create enough chances like Man utd for example, but over the course of the 17 games Torres has started this season, there have been more than 10 times he's had a clear opportunity and found a way to fuck up. Something you would not expect to happen over and over with an in form clinical striker.

There have also been instances where we have had the ball and a chance to create something on the counter and then Torres gives it away with a ridiculous touch or a really shitty pass.

Look at games against Norwich and Nordsjallend for example, he had like 7 chances (combined) and managed to score 1 goal. Against Spurs he fucked up 2 good chances, against Arsenal he tripped himself on a 1 v 1, against Wigan another 1v1 failed to hit the back of the net. Shakhtar away, more of the same.

This keeps happening, he still has 7 goals this season but with a better striker that number will probably be at 12 or higher right now.

I agree we do not create enough chances like Man utd for example, but over the course of the 17 games Torres has started this season, there have been more than 10 times he's had a clear opportunity and found a way to fuck up. Something you would not expect to happen over and over with an in form clinical striker.

There have also been instances where we have had the ball and a chance to create something on the counter and then Torres gives it away with a ridiculous touch or a really shitty pass.

Look at games against Norwich and Nordsjallend for example, he had like 7 chances (combined) and managed to score 1 goal. Against Spurs he fucked up 2 good chances, against Arsenal he tripped himself on a 1 v 1, against Wigan another 1v1 failed to hit the back of the net. Shakhtar away, more of the same.

This keeps happening, he still has 7 goals this season but with a better striker that number will probably be at 12 or higher right now.

You're right mate, I am not defending Torres at all - but like BlueLyon perfectly illustrated above your post, as long as there are better options available out there than Huntelaar then we shouldn't really force the issue. Torres is frustrating yes, but I personally think him and Sturridge can just about do the job for us till the summer. I'm not expecting us to win much this season so I'm not thinking short term to be honest. All I ask for is decent performances in cups and third place this season, minimum expectation which I think we can achieve with this squad.

I don't mind sacrificing one season for a further half a decade of success.

You're right mate, I am not defending Torres at all - but like BlueLyon perfectly illustrated above your post, as long as there are better options available out there than Huntelaar then we shouldn't really force the issue. Torres is frustrating yes, but I personally think him and Sturridge can just about do the job for us till the summer. I'm not expecting us to win much this season so I'm not thinking short term to be honest. All I ask for is decent performances in cups and third place this season, minimum expectation which I think we can achieve with this squad.

I don't mind sacrificing one season for a further half a decade of success.

It's not really forcing the issue, getting a decent striker in January does not rule out signing Falcao or Cavani in the summer. The top European teams don't just have 1 good striker, but 2 or more, while we atm have none.

I think Torres and Sturridge are good enough to give us a top four finish.

Chelsea is not Arsenal. We don't merely aim for Top 4 finishes. Get that out of your head. We need a striker in Jaunary. Anyone who wants to continue with Sturridge and Torres for the rest of the season is incredibly stupid. There is a reason our Strikers are the laughing stock of the EPL. Huntelaar scores goals. A lot of them. A big upgrade on Torres and Sturridge. He would be a smart January buy. In summer we can get someone more heavyweight (Falcao, Cavani or Lewandowski).

Chelsea is not Arsenal. We don't merely aim for Top 4 finishes. Get that out of your head. We need a striker in Jaunary. Anyone who wants to continue with Sturridge and Torres for the rest of the season is incredibly stupid. There is a reason our Strikers are the laughing stock of the EPL. Huntelaar scores goals. A lot of them. A big upgrade on Torres and Sturridge. He would be a smart January buy. In summer we can get someone more heavyweight (Falcao, Cavani or Lewandowski).

Firstly, of course we're not Arsenal. Secondly - I should've said Sturridge and Torres are good enough for a top three finish. Thirdly, to me this is a transition season - we shouldn't spoil that by signing short term fixes - we need to think long term. There's no point in signing a Huntelaar or whatever decent striker is out there in January especially if the likes of Falcao or Cavani will be more than likely available than they will be in January.

You're right, we're not Arsenal we are Chelsea, so we shouldn't be making Arsenal signings either - we can do a lot better than Huntelaar, there are better options on the market - but they won't be available till the summer in my opinion so I'd rather wait till the summer and get us a striker we deserve, not just a stupid stop gap.

Firstly, of course we're not Arsenal. Secondly - I should've said Sturridge and Torres are good enough for a top three finish. Thirdly, to me this is a transition season - we shouldn't spoil that by signing short term fixes - we need to think long term. There's no point ok signing a Huntelaar or whatever decent striker is out there in January especially if the likes of Falcao or Cavani will be more than likely available than they will be in January.

You're right, we're not Arsenal we are Chelsea, so we shouldn't be making Arsenal signings either - we can do a lot better than Huntelaar, there are better options on the market - but they won't be available till the summer in my opinion so I'd rather wait till the summer and get us a striker we deserve, not just a stupid stop gap.

Yup - at least think we should consider an EMERGENCY LOAN SIGNING or something - there has to be some good 'older' Strikers in Spain/Germany/Holland etc available for Loan... Just anybody! It's unlikely that we will get a great signing in January and I agree - we should see how things pan-out over the season - I just cannot see (as much as I want) Falcao coming in Jan :(

A Loan signing will help - I still dont think that Lukaku is ready yet, he might be a good sub when defenders are tired... but not ready to lead the line...

Huntelaar is a tremendous finisher i dont know why anyone would mind him coming in jan.He is 29 so we can get 4 good years off him and signing him would not mean that we cannot sign a superstar striker.Every team has at least 2 very good strikers.Plus he will be very cheap.

lol to people not knowing Huntelaar and thinking he's a bad player

I've followed Huntelaar's career since his early days at Ajax since that's sort of my hometown club but honestly he's not a bad player, apart from his finish he's absolutely useless, would not fit in well here at all. Would be a step backwards given all the other striking talent available ATM.

I would welcome him here for a reasonable fee, but not as a main option. As a backup striker he would do fine. His qualities are in his striker's instinct and finishing which he wouldn't lose as seasons go.

It seems that neither Sturridge nor Torres have a bright future here, so I wouldn't be surprised if this transfer happened.

I'd take Huntelaar with open arms, Heard he's available for £6million. At that price, There's going to be several clubs after him. Think he's still got a couple of season left in him, Where he could maybe score 20+ goals. And i'd pay alot more for a striker who can score that when you look at our current strikers!

I dont see Huntelaar as a big upgrade on Torres or Sturridge.

Chelsea should just pay 20-25 million and try to get Lewandowski. He seems to have the skill set that would fit into our tactics.

He's got good hold up play, he knows how to get his teammates into the game, he seems to be fairly good at finishing and decent pace.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You