• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope this doesn't materialize into anything serious. I couldn't bare to watch Huntelaar failing in a Chelsea shirt at the ripe old age of 29! Maybe if he was a fair few years younger then i would welcome the prospect but seeing as he is getting on closer to 30 i would rather see this become another one of those 'keep people interested' rumours!

I was joking regarding his availability but he is by far and away and without a shadow of doubt the worst striker in the known universe.

I don't care that he put 25 goals in the Bundesliga agaisnt former East German mining outposts; my 87 year old grandfather had his leg amputated in 1981 and I'd take him over Gomez any day in any situation where there is even the slightest of pressure.

Stopped reading here. The 1.Bundeliga is the most competitive and well run football league in the world, bar none. Their is a reason why clubs like Stuttgart, Wolfsburg, Dortmund, Breman can win the Bundeliga even during Bayern's dominance.

I'm sick of all this Gomez thrashing, he has a few bad games and all of a sudden he is the worst striker in the world. He is a good goal scorer. A poor footballer, but a good goal scorer. He is playing well in the Euros, also.

facepalm.gif

He also scored 12 goals in the CL, also there is slight difference between Bundesliga and PL.

The nonsense on this forum is ridiculous at times.

No, he didn't. All of the 25 goals were scored against teams placed 7th to 18th, its like someone scoring against timewasters like Liverpool or Blackburn, shit teams.

Most of his twelve CL goals came in the group stage, 4 alone against Basel. The only goal he scored against a proper team was a fluky knee from 2 yards against Real Madrid.

Stopped reading here. The 1.Bundeliga is the most competitive and well run football league in the world, bar none. Their is a reason why clubs like Stuttgart, Wolfsburg, Dortmund, Breman can win the Bundeliga even during Bayern's dominance.

I'm sick of all this Gomez thrashing, he has a few bad games and all of a sudden he is the worst striker in the world. He is a good goal scorer. A poor footballer, but a good goal scorer. He is playing well in the Euros, also.

I should elaborate, the worst big game striker in the world and Messr. Huntelaar is a poor man's Gomez.

Werder and Wolfsburg are trainwrecks, its not fair to count them as genuine threats. Also, I can't believe teams placed 7th to 18th are any realistic threats for the league title for a couple of years, at least.

He scored his goals against timewasters teams, Hannover, Wolfsburg, Werder, Nürnberg, Hoffenheim, Freiburg, Mainz, Augsburg, Hamburg, and the relegated trio of Hertha, Köln and Kaiserslautern. Mark my words, none of them will win the league for at least 5 seasons.

That makes perfect sense. We go in for one big game flop and we miss him, so we get the next big game flop.

About the only pressure situation either can handle is a penalty and even then, I'm not sold on Torres. Torres was once a big game player, now he scores half his goals against Leicester and QPR. Not to mention he could theoretically not scored all season and we would still have two trophies. Gomez could have scored 35 league goals and Bayern would still be trophyless.

Would be an interesting back-up option. But after fine form for Schalke that would be a tragic mistake for him. Felt sorry for him at Milan, glad he's found his touch in Germany, he shouldn't move imo.. Would be a very good back-up mind you.

I should elaborate, the worst big game striker in the world and Messr. Huntelaar is a poor man's Gomez.

Werder and Wolfsburg are trainwrecks, its not fair to count them as genuine threats. Also, I can't believe teams placed 7th to 18th are any realistic threats for the league title for a couple of years, at least.

He scored his goals against timewasters teams, Hannover, Wolfsburg, Werder, Nürnberg, Hoffenheim, Freiburg, Mainz, Augsburg, Hamburg, and the relegated trio of Hertha, Köln and Kaiserslautern. Mark my words, none of them will win the league for at least 5 seasons.

I didn't say Wolfsburg and Werder Bremen are title contenders what I said was that they have recently won the Bundesliga in Bayern's recent dominance. Werder in 02-03 and Wolfsburg in 08-09.

Goals still have to be scored against those 'timewasters teams' points aren't won by just being a 'superior club'. To dismiss goals because they come against lower ranked clubs is ridiculous.

Calling Schalke and Ajax small clubs is ridiculous and incredibly arrogant.

I didn't say Wolfsburg and Werder Bremen are title contenders what I said was that they have recently won the Bundesliga in Bayern's recent dominance. Werder in 02-03 and Wolfsburg in 08-09.

Goals still have to be scored against those 'timewasters teams' points aren't won by just being a 'superior club'. To dismiss goals because they come against lower ranked clubs is ridiculous.

Calling Schalke and Ajax small clubs is ridiculous and incredibly arrogant.

2003 is hardly recent, Wolfsburg, I'll concede, though they're currently a far cry from the heydays of Grafite and Dzeko. And yes, goals against the littler teams are important in a league context, but there are many players who thrive on that situation but can also transfer it to the bigger stage.

Schalke and Ajax are small compared with Real Madrid and AC Milan. With the exception of Man United, no English club is on par with Real and AC, either. Playing for either of those two clubs is about as big as it gets; if Huntelaar was rabbit-in-the-headlights there there's no reason to suggest things will be different at Chelsea, even though we are a clear class below those two in terms of reputation.

Huntelaar is a class player, he can fit in well with English clubs. I don't understand why people are underating Schalke? They reached the semifinals in the Champions league last season knocking out Inter 5-1 and won the German cup? Schalke are indeed a big club and a huge threat to the title, and the only other German club other than Bayern that is a threat in Europe.

2003 is hardly recent, Wolfsburg, I'll concede, though they're currently a far cry from the heydays of Grafite and Dzeko. And yes, goals against the littler teams are important in a league context, but there are many players who thrive on that situation but can also transfer it to the bigger stage.

Schalke and Ajax are small compared with Real Madrid and AC Milan. With the exception of Man United, no English club is on par with Real and AC, either. Playing for either of those two clubs is about as big as it gets; if Huntelaar was rabbit-in-the-headlights there there's no reason to suggest things will be different at Chelsea, even though we are a clear class below those two in terms of reputation.

You sound like a Liverpool fan with this nonsense about 'bigger' and 'smaller' clubs. 2003 is recent in my book, because I work on a ten year cycle. I use the term modern football to refer to the previous ten years.

Schalke and Ajax are big clubs, just because you compare them with the two historicaly biggest clubs in Europe does not make them small clubs. Besides, AC Milan hasn't had a particularly good team in years and I bet Schalke or Ajax could and would defeat them in a match. 'Big clubs'... 'little clubs' it all means nothing when you are out on the pitch', your best chance of success is with the other ten guys wearing the same shirt, not some trophies sitting in a cupboard or the statistics of last season.

What evidence is there to provide that Huntelaar won't make it at Chelsea? He didn't make it Milan and Real Madrid, so what? He wasn't first choice at either club and he scored a reasonable amount of goals during both stints for a backup striker. How many games did he start? How many minutes did he get? Besides, the last time I checked 14 goals in Europe is pretty good. If it was Falcao everyone would be in a cirlce jerk.

You sound like a Liverpool fan with this nonsense about 'bigger' and 'smaller' clubs. 2003 is recent in my book, because I work on a ten year cycle. I use the term modern football to refer to the previous ten years.

Schalke and Ajax are big clubs, just because you compare them with the two historicaly biggest clubs in Europe does not make them small clubs. Besides, AC Milan hasn't had a particularly good team in years and I bet Schalke or Ajax could and would defeat them in a match.

What evidence is there to provide that Huntelaar won't make it at Chelsea? He didn't make it Milan and Real Madrid, so what? He wasn't first choice at either club and he scored a reasonable amount of goals during both stints for a backup striker. How many games did he start? How many minutes did he get? Besides, the last time I checked 14 goals in Europe is pretty good. If it was Falcao everyone would be in a cirlce jerk.

AC Milan won Serie A 12 months ago, so they had a good team quite recently. Also, I never said they were small, per se, I said they were small when compared with the others.

He won't be first choice here, either, he wasn't first choice at two other clubs and he hardly set the world alight. Just last year, he struggled at Schalke. One good season doesn't undo the 2 and a half seasons of not-so-good performances preceding it. Finally, he's a poacher, and we do not have a good record of late with such players. I'm the wrong person to accuse of hypocrisy, you know very well that as an ardent Kalou supporter it gets on my nerves the adulation Torres gets for doing things Salomon does magnitudes better; and I do my best to transfer that attitude to other players.

I oppose the transfer primarily because I am not convinced of his ability, we have other strikers that need game time and it would represent a waste of money to splash out a largish fee for him to sit on the bench. He nearly got 50 goals last season, contrary to reports Schalke won't let him go on the cheap. I've also heard that he's an old school poacher that doesn't track back, and that that's one of the main reasons he isn't often included in Dutch squads.

17 million is a lot of money for a backup striker; when we've got two good strikers ready to come off the bench.

What I meant by AC Milan hadn't had a good team in years, is that when Huntelaar was at AC Milan they hadn't had a good team in years.

Again you go on about history (are you sure you aren't from RAWK? :D ), 'Finally, he's a poacher, and we do not have a good record of late with such players.' Anelka was a poacher and he won the Golden Boot with Chelsea. Besides the team personal has been changed a lot in the past few seasons, who says that a goal poacher can't suceed at Chelsea?

Gomez is decent but when it really matters he chokes. Agree with everything Cap said.

Gomez is decent but when it really matters he chokes. Agree with everything Cap said.

He didnt turn up in games against us and Dortmund this season however Bayern beat Man City thanks to 2 Gomez goals which contributed to Man City's exit from the Champions League. He also scored a hatrick against Napoli, another big team who nearly knocked us out. He scored the winner in the home game against Real Madrid and he earned the penalty away to Real Madrid which eventually led to Real Madrid being knocked out. Basel are not a 'brilliant' team however Bayern lost the first leg to them 1-0 and they needed to win the second leg and who stepped up to the task? Mario Gomez with 4 goals.

So apart from all his 40+ goals, I would say he has turned up when it matters in certain big games

He didnt turn up in games against us and Dortmund this season however Bayern beat Man City thanks to 2 Gomez goals which contributed to Man City's exit from the Champions League. He also scored a hatrick against Napoli, another big team who nearly knocked us out. He scored the winner in the home game against Real Madrid and he earned the penalty away to Real Madrid which eventually led to Real Madrid being knocked out. Basel are not a 'brilliant' team however Bayern lost the first leg to them 1-0 and they needed to win the second leg and who stepped up to the task? Mario Gomez with 4 goals.

So apart from all his 40+ goals, I would say he has turned up when it matters in certain big games

:clap:

Finally someone that remembers everything and not just the DFB Pokal and Champions League Final.

Just because, he isn't like Zidane or Drogba doesn't mean he chokes in the big games.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You