New CM? Or stick with Mikel and Lamps

Mustafa

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it necessary for a team to always have a deep-lying creative midfielder? Granted its a good option, but even one player playing further forward with vision can provide solutions to unlock defenses. Plus, I don't expect us to continue playing with a double pivot in midfield for the whole of next season.

i am saying it in terms of chelsea. without a schemer, we would play like the dutch national team. 2 CDM's who almost never get forward. that way, the 4 attackers are left to do the job of attacking. even if the 4 are van persie, sneijder, robben, afellay, they are finding it tough to unlock defenses because denmark, etc will have numbers behind defending.

lampard doesnt have the legs to attack anymore and mikel doesn't cross the halfway line., mata will be forced to drop deeper if we play mikel and lampard leaving only 3 genuine attackers. this will make us run out of ideas in the final third. that's why we need a schemer in the middle.

as for continuing with the 4-2-3-1, i am not against it in big games but i hope we change our system vs the wigans and the west broms

i am saying it in terms of chelsea. without a schemer, we would play like the dutch national team. 2 CDM's who almost never get forward. that way, the 4 attackers are left to do the job of attacking. even if the 4 are van persie, sneijder, robben, afellay, they are finding it tough to unlock defenses because denmark, etc will have numbers behind defending.

lampard doesnt have the legs to attack anymore and mikel doesn't cross the halfway line., mata will be forced to drop deeper if we play mikel and lampard leaving only 3 genuine attackers. this will make us run out of ideas in the final third. that's why we need a schemer in the middle.

as for continuing with the 4-2-3-1, i am not against it in big games but i hope we change our system vs the wigans and the west broms

I dont think its fair to say lampard doesnt have the legs to attack anymore. Granted he is not gonna be able to do as much as he did 6 years ago... But i have been impressed with lampards work rate all season... And providing we rest him in the easier games then he can have a great role and do that for us for a couple more seasons. I think adding one more good flexible squad player to our midfield will be great but i dont see the need to go crazy spending huge as i think its quite a solid area, especially with the youth we are developing through. However saying that im definately not opposed to get modric for a reasonable price now Redknapp has left.

I dont think its fair to say lampard doesnt have the legs to attack anymore. Granted he is not gonna be able to do as much as he did 6 years ago... But i have been impressed with lampards work rate all season... And providing we rest him in the easier games then he can have a great role and do that for us for a couple more seasons. I think adding one more good flexible squad player to our midfield will be great but i dont see the need to go crazy spending huge as i think its quite a solid area, especially with the youth we are developing through. However saying that im definately not opposed to get modric for a reasonable price now Redknapp has left.

yes but what we need is an attacking option for mata or the DLP to pick out. having only 4 players attacking and 6 players back defending wont work. we have to be dynamic , so i hope we have cabaye and ramires in the CM positions. ramires can give us a good option in attack and has the pace and stamina to get back to defend. he will be our yaya toure

Actually Xabi Alonso would be 'perfect'. However Martinez is the next best thing. He could become better even than Xabi down the track.

Awaiting validation on this but i heard few spaniards saying he is more combative than creative?

I certainly won't complain if we do bring in another creative CM.

BUT, if Josh has a good preseason I hope the club takes a gamble and makes him understudy to Lampard. If this still fails, we switch to 4-3-3 and bring on an extra attacker..Like I said earlier, this deep lying playmaker is more crucial to the 4-2-3-1 formation.

After reading through this again, I think most people feel that Mikel performance in the CL final was a one of event, and will be too much of a risk.

Now I do have to point out that one of the best ever in that role Makelele, did not actually explode till a very older age.

Mikel at 25 is still very young.

After reading through this again, I think most people feel that Mikel performance in the CL final was a one of event, and will be too much of a risk.

Now I do have to point out that one of the best ever in that role Makelele, did not actually explode till a very older age.

Mikel at 25 is still very young.

Not to me. Mikel has been quite vital to the clubs for a long time now, he's played blinders before, people were just starting to notice and appreciate him towards the end of this season.

Quality player, will forever remain underrated.

Not to me. Mikel has been quite vital to the clubs for a long time now, he's played blinders before, people were just starting to notice and appreciate him towards the end of this season.

Sad but trueTM

He had a poor run of games under AVB and his ball movement is a little too slow if Chelsea wants to play a quick moving 4-3-3, but Mikel has definitely been under-appreciated by many Chelsea fans. His positioning is excellent and he makes short, sure passes.

I think the club wont get this world class CM, and i think it will be the right desicion. There is no real reason to put Lampard on the bench. And no, the fact he'll turned 34 next season isnt a real reason. If youre going to spend money on a starter (If its 20m or 40m... doesnt metter), its got to be when you know we realy need it. Lampard was phenomenal since RDM got the job, it is just ridicilous to bring Modric or Moutinho now just because he might be finished next season (yeah right). And im not just saying that because its what i think, im saying that because a football club cant act like that. No metter how rich he is. You all need to come down with this obsession of getting more and more new players. You cant be perfect. You cannot bring a world class CM just because our best CM might have some hard times next season. Lampard on the bench after the season he was having? just wont happen... and shoudlnt.

If we buy a player for M'Vila's price it won't be to 'rotate' with the players we already have...

Well firstly I'd sell one of Essien or Meireles, also send McEachran on loan again. I'd play Ramires as one of a front three behind Torres, which doesn't leave much in the middle. So in all honesty M'Vila would have plenty of playing time and would cost less than Modric, gies him the chance to make the position his own

Well firstly I'd sell one of Essien or Meireles, also send McEachran on loan again. I'd play Ramires as one of a front three behind Torres, which doesn't leave much in the middle. So in all honesty M'Vila would have plenty of playing time and would cost less than Modric, gies him the chance to make the position his own

I think Ramires should be given another try in the double pivot role.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You