New CM? Or stick with Mikel and Lamps

Mustafa

YEAH GOOD JOKE THAT!

Lampard was awful till RDM came, and he was on form when RDM took over. He's 34, losing his stamina, he clearly isn't going to be as consistent. Great logic that like lad, because he's going to give the exact same stats next season aint he, people don't age i guess, age is just a number that's why your girlfriend is probably 9, and your 80 tryna bungee jump.

If a manager has logic then he wouldn't start Lampard next season, he's getting old and for his position he will have to do way too much consistently every week.

Lampard was not awful under AVB despite your historical revisionism. He had a poor run of games but then again, so do most players every season. He played 23 games in the PL under AVB and had 9 goals. And come off it. I never said that Lampard isn't going to age, but the idea that he's going to go from being a very good player for us, key to us winning our trophies, to a squad player one in one season, is ridiculous. . I gave the example of Paul Scholes who is 38 and still a good player. Lampard played 49 matches last season. Maybe he can't do that again, but he can be very effective for 35-40 matches which is enough to be our primary creative, deep midfielder.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sturridge had been poor since December. He got an injury around the Tottenham (A) game and was never the same since then even though he got a couple of goals (Spurs, Birmingham). AVB kept playing him, while RDM dropped him and used Kalou

Sturridge had a fantastic December but you're right, he started playing worse before AVB got the sack (as you mentioned-after the Spurs game around Christmas). Still, he did play much better under AVB than under RDM (which makes sense because he was moved from RW to RM which was always going to be a horrible fit for him.). Mata is the more interesting case because he was brilliant under AVB but I thought his game took a big dive under RDM. Some of that was probably being tired, but some of it was also the system which relies more on defensive play and counter-attack which is not Mata's strength. This is one of the difficulties the new/old coach will have. How to integrate a system that brings the best out of most of our players when our players are not all meant for the same system. This is why we all want a long-term coach who can be in charge of buying instead of the nonsense we've had over the past few years. .

Lampard is our current best option as deep lying play-maker and during our UCL campaign he embraced it and was very effective. If he truly embraced his new role and to forget scoring from late runs (im sure he will get his goals from penalties) he will be more effective and he will surely prolong his career. Meireles and Josh would be enough to rotate him when needed.

Depending on McEachran's pre-season showing, I'd give him the option of being understudy to Lampard and Mikel.

This is absolutely the ideal situation to work in a younger player. Lampard played 49 matches last season. We don't need someone to replace him yet, but if we can do the Cole/Bertrand thing and find a youngster that can play 15 games this year and work their way into the rotation, it would be fabulous for us. Chelsea were after Perreira last season as cover for Cole. Had that happened, Chelsea would have spent millions of pounds (Porto was asking for 25M pounds) in transfer fees and wages and Bertrand would never have seen a match. It actually worked out much better for us that we didn't get Perreira. (Yes, he's obviously far ahead of where Bertrand is now, but Bertrand is perfectly acceptable as cover for Cole right now, has a bright future when Cole is ready to move on, and doesn't cost anything to buy.). It's a tough balance, because you need international-level depth to compete, but Chelsea should be trying to work in one or two youngsters into the rotation every season.

Lampard was not awful under AVB despite your historical revisionism. He had a poor run of games but then again, so do most players every season. He played 23 games in the PL under AVB and had 9 goals. And come off it. I never said that Lampard isn't going to age, but the idea that he's going to go from being a very good player for us, key to us winning our trophies, to a squad player one in one season, is ridiculous. . I gave the example of Paul Scholes who is 38 and still a good player. Lampard played 49 matches last season. Maybe he can't do that again, but he can be very effective for 35-40 matches which is enough to be our primary creative, deep midfielder.

Yeah and do Scholes or Giggs play every game?, NO!, they rotate. Lampard cannot play consistently every week.

Yeah and do Scholes or Giggs play every game?, NO!, they rotate. Lampard cannot play consistently every week.

Scholes and Giggs are 4 years older than Lampard. Scholes played 35, 38, and 33 matches in his 34-37 seasons. Giggs played 44, 43, and 47. Even last season both played regularly. That's exactly the sort of thing I envision for Lampard over the next few years but that's not a squad player, that's a regular starter getting rest. Nobody is saying Lampard should play every single game. Nobody is saying that he doesn't need to be rested. It's a straw-man argument. He should be getting rest. But even if he plays 40 games games next season (a 20% reduction in games which is big), he'll still play in 2/3 of all Chelsea's matches.

Scholes and Giggs are 4 years older than Lampard. Scholes played 35, 38, and 33 matches in his 34-37 seasons. Giggs played 44, 43, and 47. Even last season both played regularly. That's exactly the sort of thing I envision for Lampard over the next few years but that's not a squad player, that's a regular starter getting rest. Nobody is saying Lampard should play every single game. Nobody is saying that he doesn't need to be rested. It's a straw-man argument. He should be getting rest. But even if he plays 40 games games next season (a 20% reduction in games which is big), he'll still play in 2/3 of all Chelsea's matches.

They play once a week, and usually come on from the bench, they rotate a lot. They do not play constantly all the time, and they don't play as DM's, Lampard in the double pivot he has to do a lot of work, Scholes doesn't even do that much work anymore and he used to, Giggs goes usually wherever he pleases, he goes about the field.

Sturridge had a fantastic December but you're right, he started playing worse before AVB got the sack (as you mentioned-after the Spurs game around Christmas). Still, he did play much better under AVB than under RDM (which makes sense because he was moved from RW to RM which was always going to be a horrible fit for him.). Mata is the more interesting case because he was brilliant under AVB but I thought his game took a big dive under RDM. Some of that was probably being tired, but some of it was also the system which relies more on defensive play and counter-attack which is not Mata's strength. This is one of the difficulties the new/old coach will have. How to integrate a system that brings the best out of most of our players when our players are not all meant for the same system. This is why we all want a long-term coach who can be in charge of buying instead of the nonsense we've had over the past few years. .

Yeah I couldn't exactly remember when his injury occurred but I remember it was somewhere near the Spurs game. For some reason his confidence was shot after that even though it was only a small injury. I didn't really see any difference in his play if I compared the last couple of months under AVB to RDM's reign tbh

Mata - you've already said it, it was to do with the tactics and it was the only way to progress in the CL. With much better players around next season we won't be playing that way so I don't see it affecting him that much.

Lampard is getting older and can't play every match in the season.. We need one new CM, because Meireles isn't good enough, Essien after his injuries has little chance to return in his best form and Ramires can play also as right winger..

To be honest the whole squad got better towards the end of the season because of RDM... but I dont think Obi Mikel can do what Essien could once do and what Makelele made his name doing! And if Lampard is to stay, we need a reliable player alongside him to shield our back four because with Lampard's attacking intent, he'll be going forward a lot and the opposition can hit us on the break and thats where Mikel will have to be responsible.

Mikel and Essien are two different players even if they play in the same role. Mikel can't do what Essien used to do and Essien could never do what Mikel currently does. Essien was perfect for 4-3-3 while Mikel is more suited for the double pivot role.

I really don't understand all the doubt about Mikel. The man is on top of his game, he was our best player towards the end of the season and was by far the best in the league at what he does. If you re-watch the CL final, his performance was the best I've seen by a DM in a long long time. He is excellent at breaking play up, he is unbelievably composed on the ball, and his passing is sublime. So to quote the great SeB: "When will people realize that Mikel is great at what he does and not some random guy we play just because we don't have anyone else?"

As for Lamps, I know that he is not getting any younger, but he is yet to show that he can't play at this level anymore. In fact his performances in the double pivot role were not only class but showed a side of his game that we didn't know he had. As some one already said, replacing him just because he's 34 is ridiculous.

Modric for 40mil or even 28mil will not add much to our squad. We have more than enough CMs (Lamps, Mikel, Romeu, Raul, De Bruyne, Essien, Josh, Ramires) to rotate players the two CM roles we have in the starting XI; but for me, Lamps and Mikel have to start in the big matches. Not to mention that buying a new CM will make it much harder for the youngsters to be given a proper chance.

People say that RDM turned our season around, it's true, but it was also the Mikel-Lamps partnership that was, imo, the key to winning the two cups. I say we keep that for another season.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You