Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gary gordon

Drogba Statue Outside the Bridge

Started by gary gordon,

92 posts in this topic

I agree with Franco and Kezza, that Torres banner is embarrassing especially that DD doesn't have one. By those standards every player in the club's history should have a banner at the bridge. If Torres somehow magically turns into a club legend like JT, Lamps and DD, then he can have a banner.

Please guys, dont be childish and suggest things like putting down any of our players banner because you want other players banner to be hanged.

The Torres banner should be taken down because it has the Shankly Gates logo on it. Whoever put it up just bleached the Liverpool one from red to blue. fucking embarrassing

Sir Mikel OBE likes this

I love Didier Drogba for everything he's done for the club, perhaps more than most. I remember being extremely excited when he first arrived because I remember seeing him in Marseille's UEFA Cup run. He was brilliant and I thought we'd signed a real talent. I wasn't wrong! :lol: But my point is this - Didier is just one of a quintet of players who are perhaps five of the greatest ever men to pull on a Chelsea shirt. I'm referring to John Terry, Petr Cech, Ashley Cole, Frank Lampard and of course, Didier himself. Any of the five would be worthy of being immortalised forever in stone, but there are men like Gianfranco Zola who have never been given the honour of being put as a statue.

Maybe in 50 years. Think how long it took for Osgood's statue to be commissioned and then sculpted. A statue should be a posthumous honour, in my personal opinion!

silkycuts, Stats, Strike and 1 other like this

Drogba is to Chelsea something like Etoo was for Barca, but Lampard to Chelsea is something like Messi is to Barca.

Lamps won everything possible on club stage, what is most important, in times when Henry and Ronaldinho played (2005), Frank was for many best player in the world and certainly among top 5 for all people. He came with a little transfer, for small money and become legend. Something I hope Kdb will become in 10 years.

Im sure somehow you can replace scorer for Drogba, but its much harder when you have to replace playmaker who was playing for over 10 years. I guess Barca will never replace Xavi or Messi, while it was easier to replace Etoo, despite it looked impossible.

The Torres banner should be taken down because it has the Shankly Gates logo on it. Whoever put it up just bleached the Liverpool one from red to blue. fucking embarrassing

yeah embarrassing indeed...

tumblr_lg44424FqE1qc9aza.jpgtorreschelseabanner.jpg

I love Didier Drogba for everything he's done for the club, perhaps more than most. I remember being extremely excited when he first arrived because I remember seeing him in Marseille's UEFA Cup run. He was brilliant and I thought we'd signed a real talent. I wasn't wrong! :lol: But my point is this - Didier is just one of a quintet of players who are perhaps five of the greatest ever men to pull on a Chelsea shirt. I'm referring to John Terry, Petr Cech, Ashley Cole, Frank Lampard and of course, Didier himself. Any of the five would be worthy of being immortalised forever in stone, but there are men like Gianfranco Zola who have never been given the honour of being put as a statue.

Maybe in 50 years. Think how long it took for Osgood's statue to be commissioned and then sculpted. A statue should be a posthumous honour, in my personal opinion!

Double that sentiment! Even though I love Drogba to bits... to single him out and forget the heroics of the rest of the team (specially Ash and Cech) is little unfair. So waiting a few years (not 50 though) then making a decision makes more sense to me.

Drogba is to Chelsea something like Etoo was for Barca, but Lampard to Chelsea is something like Messi is to Barca.

Lamps won everything possible on club stage, what is most important, in times when Henry and Ronaldinho played (2005), Frank was for many best player in the world and certainly among top 5 for all people. He came with a little transfer, for small money and become legend. Something I hope Kdb will become in 10 years.

Im sure somehow you can replace scorer for Drogba, but its much harder when you have to replace playmaker who was playing for over 10 years. I guess Barca will never replace Xavi or Messi, while it was easier to replace Etoo, despite it looked impossible.

Disagree to that. To me, and I'm sure others will agree, Drogba is on par with Lampard in terms of legendary status. I'm sure that's the general consensus?

Lets get a statue of Michael Jackson instead.. oh wait we aren't Fulham. Zola deserves a shrine tbh, do that first then give DDA a statue.

I don't support the idea of having a statue because its just a silly thing to have. If tourists want to know about our golden generation then they can go inside the club and they'll have access to plenty of information on them.

I don't support the idea of giving Didier a statue straight away. 50 years down the line though when we can fully appreciate what he has done for this club he should have one. Obviously his number 11 shirt should not be retired either but I don't think we should just give it out to somebody else straight away. They need to prove that they are worthy of wearing that shirt before they can wear it. Therefore i think the number 11 shirt should be unofficially retired for about 2 seasons.