Mats Hummels

Joe Ay

What'd he say?

http://www.espnfc.com/club/borussia-dortmund/124/blog/post/2110464/borussia-dortmund-desperate-to-be-themselves-once-again

"The ball was in the air for a long time, I was surprised to see it end up in the net,"

He was talking about the FK goal they conceded by the way..

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Dortmund don't want him and his price is acceptable (I would say 30M£ or something like that), we should buy him. He is young for a CB, World Champion, Champions League finalist, a lot of quality and he is all a CB should be.

We need at least one CB.

So far this season he's been shocking, mistake after mistake. Overall i think he's a good ball playing defender but he's the type of player who needs a rock like JT next to him. I personally feel like we need a Vidic/Kompany type player.

Very similar player to David Luiz in terms of characteristics.

Just can't see Jose going for him, and not sure Hummels himself would be happy having to keep position as he also likes to move forward when in possession. Player for a different type of manager and team setup.

So far this season he's been shocking, mistake after mistake. Overall i think he's a good ball playing defender but he's the type of player who needs a rock like JT next to him. I personally feel like we need a Vidic/Kompany type player.

Yea, all of Dortmund has been poor though.

He's like a better version of David Luiz

I personally feel like we need a Vidic/Kompany type player.

Such CB as Vidic, prime Terry, etc doesnt exist anymore. Defenders nowday are all more or less mistake prone and they cant handle the shit like old school CBs did.

Thats why we have Ramos, Kompany, Silva, Benatia as currently best defenders but they make more mistakes in one year than Vidic, Puyol or Terry did in whole career.

The art of defending itself has changed over the years. Earlier, defenders never left their own half and their main role was to clear the ball once it got close to the penalty area. Modern defenders are expected to defend, be comfortable on the ball with their feet, bring it over the half line (if playing high), and contribute to goals from set pieces.

Central defenders have to be especially good with positioning because most times they're left alone in their own half with the fullbacks going on attacking runs.

Another thing is that defenders tend to mature later than other players. They start to peak around 27-30 and can comfortably maintain that standard of performance till they're 34-35.

Hummels is nearing 26 so you can say his best years are still to come. But then again, our current CB pairing is going to remain for at least 2 years. So, it would be better to invest in someone who's 23-24 now.

I don't think so. Luiz has certainly been better than him in general over the last two seasons or so.

Has he? Hummels was at the center of that BVB team that made the CL final, was the best defender at the WC, while Luiz didn't even play CB for Chelsea last year.

The only CBs that I would personally be ok with us signing if (and only if) Terry retires at the end of the season are Varane, Marquinhos, Benatia or Hummels.

The first 3 wouldn't be available so Hummels is the only other option. And that's if Terry retires at the end of the year and if the price isn't stupid (<30M).

If we could get Hummels though it would be a coup signing. He's far better than people give him credit for; my brother is a BVB fan and thinks that Hummels is by far the 2nd best player Dortmund have (behind Reus) and it is Weidenfeller making these mistakes not Hummels.

For ~25M he would be a great signing so we could have Cahill/Hummels starting with Zouma and Kalas fighting to replace Cahill when they become better than him. That's a brilliant CB situation to have.

But if we can't get any of the 4 I mentioned earlier then i'd rather recall Kalas and have Cahill, Zouma, Kalas and Ivan as our 4 CBs for a few years, then deal with the problem down the line.

Of course this is all assuming JT retires at the end of the season, he's still looking like the best CB in England atm so no reason he can't keep going if both him and Mou think he's able..

• 3 weeks later...

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You