Lyrics

So what lyrics do you really like, some that you either sing out or just listen to in absolute awe.

These come from one of my favorite songs "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers" by a band called Van Der Graaf Generator.

"I prophesy disaster and then I count the cost.... I shine but, shining, dying, I know that I am almost lost. On the table lies blank paper/my tower is built on stone/ I only have blunt scissors/I only have the bluntest home.... I've been the witness, and the seal of death lingers in the molten wax that is my head. When you see the skeletons of sailing-ship spars sinking low You'll begin to wonder if the points of all the ancient myths are solemnly directed straight at you..."

"'Unreal, unreal!' ghost helmsmen scream and fall in through the sky, not breaking through my seagull shrieks... no breaks until I die: the spectres scratch on window-slits-- hollowed faces, mindless grins only intent on destroying what they've lost. I craw the wall till steepness ends in the vertical fall; my pail has sailed into the sea: no joking hopes at dawn. White bone shine in the iron-jaw mask lost mastheads pierce the freezing dark and parallel my isolated tower.... no paraffin for the flame no harbour left to gain"

"Would you cry if I died? Would you cry if I died? Would you catch the final words of mine? Would you catch my words? I know that there's no time I know that there's no rhyme... false signs find me I don't want to hate, I just want to grow; why can't I let me live and be free?..but I die very slowly alone. I know no more ways, I am so afraid, myself won't let me just be myself and so I am completely alone.... The maelstrom of my memory is a vampire and it feeds on me now, staggering madly, over the brink I fall."

"Oceans drifting sideways, I am pulled into the spell; I feel you around me...I know you well. Stars slice horizons where the lines stand much too stark; I feel I am drowning...hands stretch in the dark. Camps of panoply and majesty, what is Freedom of Choice? Where do I stand in the pageantry...whose is my voice? It doesn't feel so very bad now: I think the end is the start. Begin to feel very glad now: ALL THINGS ARE A PART ALL THINGS ARE APART ALL THINGS ARE A PART."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNAO7uDH0M8

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I remember how the darkness doubled. I recall lightning struck itself." - Marquee Moon by Television

"I've been waiting for a guide to come and take me by the hand." - Disorder by Joy Division

"Sometimes I'm thinking that I love you, but I know it's only lust." - Damaged Goods by Gang of Four

"I've got one, two, three, four, five senses working overtime." - Senses Wokring Overtime by XTC

"All I'm saying pretty baby: la la love you. Don't mean maybe." - La La Love You by Pixies

"They say jump, you say how high." - Bullet In The Head by Rage Against The Machine

"How young are you? How old am I?" - I Will Dare by The Replacements

"The last night of the fair, by the big wheel generator. A boy is stabbed and his money is grabbed and the air hangs heavy like a dulling wine."- Rusholme Ruffians by The Smiths

"But if you are feeling sinister go off and see a minister. He'll try in vain to take away the pain of being a hopeless unbeliever." - If You Are Feeling Sinister by Belle & Sebastian

"I never sleep, Sleep is the cousin of death, beyond the walls of intelligence, life is defined." - Nas

Explanation: This line’s 1st degree meaning is evident: sleep is a deathlike, inert state of consciousness. The 2nd degree, “sleeping” is slang for being inattentive or negligent, a drug dealer who is robbed for lack of vigilance is said to be “caught sleeping”. Nas never “sleeps” — i.e., he’s never “caught sleeping” — because being an easy target could lead him to getting shot to death. A truly classic rap line, one eye open” sense of paranoia; perhaps inspired by the Talmud which tells us sleep is 1/60th of death. Or the Iliad where Hypnos and Thanatos — i.e., “sleep” and “death” — are described as brothers. Note the lines resonance with the New York cliche, “The city that never sleeps”.

"I rap divine, God, check the prognosis, is it real or showbiz?, my window faces shootouts, drug overdoses, Live amongst no roses, only the drama, a nickel-plate is my fate, my medicine is the ganja." - Nas

Explanation: Nas, 'the ethnographer', with his high cerebral art. The term ‘God’ references the then-ubiquitous-in-the-hood Five Percent religious beliefs/culture. As he demonstrates so many times on Illmatic, Nas has an incredible talent for describing life in the streets with raw emotion. Where he is, there’s no light at the end of the tunnel, only hardships and struggle.

Lifes a Bitch - Nas feat AZ

Nas

I woke up early on my born day, I'm twenty years of blessing

The essence of adolescent leaves my body now I'm fresh in

My physical frame is celebrated cause I made it

Affirmative Action - The Firm (Foxy Brown's verse)

We got to flee to Panama, but wait it's half and half

Keys is one and two-fifth, so how we flip

Thirty-two grams raw, chop it in half, get sixteen, double it times three

We got forty-eight, which mean a whole lot of cream

Divide the profit by four, subtract it by eight

We back to sixteen, now add the other two that 'Mega bringin through

So let's see, if we flip this other key

Then that's more for me, mad coke and mad leak

Plus a five hundred, cut in half is two-fifty

Now triple that times three, we got three quarters of another key

The Firm baby, volume one uhh..

Any lyrics by Defeater really. Never really understood the potential of concept albums until discovering theirs, makes me wonder why not more artists use albums to tell a real story. Seems perfectly fitting really!

"Well I know that you've been searching...and you've looked inside your heart. But under Oceans and in Coffins, is a better place to start."

"You can't begin to know, the depths of the Abyss, untill you've lost it all, untill you've seen yourself"

-Dr Thunder by 'The Amity Affliction'

"I know I stood there, singing to you, Please don't ever...feel...alone. And please don't dream of never heading home but truth be told, I've struggled...just...like...you."

- No sleep till Brisbane by The Amity Affliction

"It's never easy to Admit, that you've faltered...that you've fallen. I'm just trying to tell you...that you aren't here alone..."

- R.I.P Foghorn by The Amity Affliction

"But I've got friends, by my side. I've got hope, in my eyes...and dreams to aspire to and the whole wide world to watch below."

-I Hate Hartley by The Amity Affliction

"In the chambers of your guilt. Under the cross and devil's gaze. While you sit and wait to die. There'll be no god in the cold night Sky. There is no god who can hear you...there is no god who understands..."

"There is no god who can hear you, just a sky full of stars. Those same stars you will be wishing on, when death comes to call on us."

- Fire and Knife by The Amity Affliction

These are just a FEW of my favourites. I could go on for ages.

^ What a load of cringeworthy nonsensical, pseudo philosophical bullshit.

The aussie musicians should leave music to the british & americans. Pshh, and to think.. you had the cheek to discredit my 'professor approved' musical inclination. :rolleyes:

^ What a load of cringeworthy nonsensical, pseudo philosophical bullshit.

The aussie musicians should leave music to the british & americans. Pshh, and to think.. you had the cheek to discredit my 'professor approved' musical inclination. :rolleyes:

Not this bullshit again...give it a rest, chump. I don't see the 'genius' in those rap lyrics. Typical fanboys......

^ You only have to do 5 seconds of research to understand why british musicians are superior to anything that ever came out of australia. :rolleyes:

I'm not a big fan of them personally, but The Beatles are the most influential music group in history.