Eden Hazard

the wes

I think it's interesting to note that his best performance with us in a while came when Bertrand was playing behind him instead of Ash. Ryan, for 60 mins, made forward runs in every single attack, often making overlapping runs to stretch the Cardiff defense. He kept at least one of those two defenders on the right (our left) occupied and gave Eden more room to work with while when Cole plays and rarely makes supporting runs, Eden is left double-marked most of the time.

Not saying that it was all down to that, just that it might have been big factor.

Think that is a valid point. Ronaldo at Madrid, after all, tends to do huge damage on the LW when he had Marcelo bombing up and down that flank all day long to create overlaps, 1-2 plays, distract opponents etc.

He played well but he still has a tendency to go missing for large sums of the game. Look at an inferior player like Townsend and the aggression/energy he puts into attack or a player who he should eventually become (Ribery) for Bayern.

Mediocre first half (the cutback to Eto'o was piss poor) but he was pretty good in the 2nd. Hope we see more West Ham @ home 12/13 type performances from him this season, just needs to add consistency to his game.

I think it's interesting to note that his best performance with us in a while came when Bertrand was playing behind him instead of Ash. Ryan, for 60 mins, made forward runs in every single attack, often making overlapping runs to stretch the Cardiff defense. He kept at least one of those two defenders on the right (our left) occupied and gave Eden more room to work with while when Cole plays and rarely makes supporting runs, Eden is left double-marked most of the time.

Not saying that it was all down to that, just that it might have been big factor.

to be honest Cole has done the same in the two previous matches (I remember seeing him doing that while I was scouting them), but you do have a valid point about Ryan dragging opponents with him. The problem starts when we decide to actually pass him the ball - as imo he's really limited linking up and crossing, but he can drag defenders and he can pass backward.

If Cole can carry his attitude from the last two games he played, Hazard will benefit a lot not only from him dragging opponents like Ryan did, but a slightly better linkup. But it does feel a shame that we have two amazing LW in Eden and André and not a great LFB to keep up with them. Ryan was decent though - which is much better than I expect from him. He seems to be progressing.

Totally agree with this.

Hazard has been the lucky one this season, I think all of his goals came after GK mistakes:

-Bayern.

-Norwich

-2 goals against Cardiff.

Would agree that he needs to work on his finishing. He has been found wanting particularly in 1v1 situations with keepers.

This past game was how I expected him to be EVERY game coming into the season. Hopefully he keeps it up.

We see how he's nearly unstoppable when he's running at and attacking defenders and moving with pace. When he has urgency and intent in his play we see performances like that rather than when he gets the ball at walking pace and just passes it away immediately.

I know Eden doesn't quite have the pace of Ronaldo/Bale/Walcott, but I wish Jose would just tell him to dribble with ball as fast as he can at the fullback as often as possible and put constant pressure on the opponent.

Just look at how effective that kid at Spuds Townsend has been over the past few weeks. He looks almost untouchable because he uses his pace and dribbling to just run right at players. Exactly what Hazard needs to do.

This past game was how I expected him to be EVERY game coming into the season. Hopefully he keeps it up.

We see how he's nearly unstoppable when he's running at and attacking defenders and moving with pace. When he has urgency and intent in his play we see performances like that rather than when he gets the ball at walking pace and just passes it away immediately.

I know Eden doesn't quite have the pace of Ronaldo/Bale/Walcott, but I wish Jose would just tell him to dribble with ball as fast as he can at the fullback as often as possible and put constant pressure on the opponent.

Just look at how effective that kid at Spuds Townsend has been over the past few weeks. He looks almost untouchable because he uses his pace and dribbling to just run right at players. Exactly what Hazard needs to do.

I've seen him against Aston Villa yesterday, Aston Villa were not parking the bus and were leaving him a lot of space.

Nothing impressive. When Cardiff were opening up, we saw that Oscar, Hazard, William could run very quick counter-attack.

The problem we have now is that we play much slower from the back, no intention of setting play from the back where one could drive with the ball to open the opposition defense. Cardiff on Saturday, could defend with 9-10 players against 6-7 players as the opposition is happy to leave our central defenders 15 meters away from the other players.

If we would play the ball quicker from deep right to left with threats of drive of Luiz or full backs coming inside, it would mess the midfield line of the opponent, opening angles of space and some space for the attacking midfielders to play.