Eden Hazard

the wes

Belgium have two must win (or at least, must pick up points) Euro qualifier games, so it seems Hazard won't be rested by Wilmots, which is bad news .

Nope, Hazard will be crucial for Belgium.

Wouldn't worry too much though, he thrives on playing matches, the more the better.

Fair point's there.

Also out of interest has Tibo completely won you over because I know you had doubts at the start? (not a dig im just genuinely curious).

Definitely. My reservation was centred around the fact that he wasn't getting tested near enough due to Atletico madrid's outstanding defence and I wasn't sure how he would cope in a team where the GK's are far more busy and called to be the hero on a constant basis like Thibo himself has already found out this season.

That's the thing about me, I'm willing to admit I was wrong when a player proves me wrong and give credit where it's due.

Despite the relative freedom he has, I still feel jose's tactical set up and mentality in certain games does hold him back alot . It's hard for an attacking player to be fully effective when the team spends majority of the game defending deep and without willing runners and overlapping fullbacks (luis enhances hazard's game but he rarely plays).

I don't know if that's really Mourinho's fault. The tactical set-up is pretty similar to that of other European top teams. 4 in the back, a triangle in midfield and 3 up front. And as far as mindset is concerned, I can't really imagine he wouldn't want to dominate play.

For me the technical quality of the defenders is key. If you look at Bayern Munich & Barcelona, their defenders have a crucial role in the build-up play. If I look at us sometimes, we got the four at the back doing nothing but defending and all the build-up & attacking play is left to Cesc, Hazard & Willian. Ivanovic likes to go forward of course, but the quality is sometimes lacking. Luis seems capable of going forward so I think we should definitely play him more. But in the end the whole team should be capable of build-up play.

I don't know if that's really Mourinho's fault. The tactical set-up is pretty similar to that of other European top teams. 4 in the back, a triangle in midfield and 3 up front. And as far as mindset is concerned, I can't really imagine he wouldn't want to dominate play.

For me the technical quality of the defenders is key. If you look at Bayern Munich & Barcelona, their defenders have a crucial role in the build-up play. If I look at us sometimes, we got the four at the back doing nothing but defending and all the build-up & attacking play is left to Cesc, Hazard & Willian. Ivanovic likes to go forward of course, but the quality is sometimes lacking. Luis seems capable of going forward so I think we should definitely play him more. But in the end the whole team should be capable of build-up play.

I wasn't necessarily referring to tactics in terms of formation but how we actually set up i.e high pressing, persistent attack, good movements, high line, overlapping fullbacks etc. We have done it at times this season but not consistently enough and certainly never in big games where we are more interested in preventing goals than actually playing football.

As for your last statement, I have to disagree. Manager's play the most significant role in how smooth and fluid a team's build up play is. If you have a manager that lacks the know how in that department and/or the unwillingness to play that way, the team training routine would future less of certain things that's not part of the managers philosophy and it ultimately shows on the pitch.

Why was a man utd team that were very creative and scoring goals for fun under Ferguson turn into a rigid,clueless and offensively awkward team under Moyes with practically the same group and core of players? it's unrealistic to just expect players to figure out build up play by themselves without active and conscious tactical input and constant training.

:9694125-large.jpg

When i look at these stats and put them into context, I really feel Hazard could improve himself/us drastically

You can look at these stats and say: wow, he's better than Bale and Suarez in so many area's. But that would not be the right way to look at it imo, because he's behind them in the two most important stats namely; goals and assists.

His pass completion%, shot accuracy% and succesful dribbles% is higher but that just means he is not taking enough risks. There is a optimal line between risk/reward and this just shows Hazard is definitely below that line.

In a team with alot of risk takers, this kind of Hazard would be perferct, he would bring balance to such a team by not taking alot of risk but still contributing an awful lot.

But in Chelsea were there is such a void in our other AM's ability to contribute anything, he would improve the team enormously if he would just go for it more at times, take that long range shot, try to dribble past his two markers when he is in the box, try some more through passes.

(a bit more like Coutinho now that i think about it but with the exception he actually has the skill to pull it off)

When i look at these stats and put them into conetext, I really feel Hazard could improve himself/us drastically

You can look at these stats and say: wow, he's better than Bale and Suarez in so many area's. But that would not be the right way to look at it imo, because he's behind them in the two most important stats namely; goals and assists.

His pass completion%, shot accuracy% and succesful dribbles% is higher but that just means he is not taking enough risks. There is a optimal line between risk/reward and this just shows Hazard is definitely below that line.

In a team with alot of risk takers, this kind of Hazard would be perferct, he would bring balance to such a team by not taking alot of risk but still contributing an awful lot.

But in Chelsea were there is such a void in our other AM's ability to contribute anything, he would improve the team enormously if he would just go for it more at times, take that long range shot, try to dribble past his two markers when he is in the box, try some more through passes.

(a bit more like Coutinho now that i think about it but with the exception he actually has the skill to pull it off)

Then again, comparing his goal ratio with a striker is pointless and Bale was one freak season. Add the fact he has taken a lot less penalties than last season and the countless pre-assists and made goals his teammates failed to score.

Expecting him to do more while he's carrying us every week is a bit strange. As you said yourself, the problem lies with his co-AM's who need to step the fuck up.

Then again, comparing his goal ratio with a striker is pointless and Bale was one freak season. Add the fact he has taken a lot less penalties than last season and the countless pre-assists and made goals his teammates failed to score.

Expecting him to do more while he's carrying us every week is a bit strange. As you said yourself, the problem lies with his co-AM's who need to step the fuck up.

TOP post ... If there were others shouldering the creative burden it would be easier for Eden .. He is ALWAYS double or tripled marked .Surely this is creating

space and chances for others . IF THEY can't capitalise then the blame lies not with Hazard

Why compare him to goal scorers Iniesta didn't have a lot of assists or goals. While Eden could certainly stand to be more selfish and aggressive, I think too many people don't understand that his strength is in playmaking and creating holes in the defense so that the team benefits. That's what makes him so valuable even when he's not scoring he's drawing 2-4 men and forcing defenses to set up in unnatural positions just to stop him which allows other players much more space and time.

I'm seriously starting to question the reading/comprehension ability of a lot of people on here.

Where did i exactly say i 'expect' him to carry us even more???

All i said was that he could be even better if he starts making some low percentage shots/passes/dribbles with high rewards as his stats seem to suggest, and if his life goal is to win the ballon d'or he probably should start doing it.

I know he does a whole lot else besides scoring etc. but for example when he is trough on goal facing the last line of defenders he should just go for it more and try to get his shots off instead of checking back wating for support which usually leads to nothing. When you try that you'll miss your shots more often and loose possession but overall you would have a better chance of scoring

But it seems whenever you try to make a constructive post on here it is percieved as criticism and all the fanboys start crawling out of their caves ready to regurgitate the same old discussion again.....................sigh

When i look at these stats and put them into conetext, I really feel Hazard could improve himself/us drastically

Perfect explanation. But I've come to realize that Hazard just isn't the type of guy to take risks and have the glory. I wish he was a bit more selfish especially when his teammates are playing poorly during the match.

He only shows this side that you're asking for in the last 20 mins of games when we are losing or when we are looking for the win.(tottenham loss, Maribor, QPr, etc) The similarities between them was the fact that we were loosing or drawing in the 2nd half.

If he can play that way in the beginning of matches instead of waiting for then, we'll be in for a treat and his performance would be massive. If I was Mourinho, I'll put a fast workhorse like willian close to hazard to carry out defensive duties for him chasing the fullback and give hazard free role to attack from the left or center. This way he'll have no excuse not to use the energy he's saving to attack full throttle instead of relaxing

I'm seriously starting to question the reading/comprehension ability of a lot of people on here.

Where did i exactly say i 'expect' him to carry us even more???

Your post clearly implied he needs to assist and score more? You say he needs to be "a risktaker" because his teammates "don't contribute anything". While that statement holds some thruth, how is that not expecting him to DO more?

But it seems whenever you try to make a constructive post on here it is percieved as criticism and all the fanboys start crawling out of their caves ready to regurgitate the same old discussion again.....................sigh

I only replied because I found it an interesting post. If my post prompted you to reply in such an aggressive manner, don't fucking bother next time.

PS: I'm a massive Hazard fanboy, sue me.

Your post clearly implied he needs to assist and score more? You say he needs to be "a risktaker" because his teammates "don't contribute anything". While that statement holds some thruth, how is that not expecting him to DO more?

I only replied because I found it an interesting post. If my post prompted you to reply in such an aggressive manner, don't fucking bother next time.

PS: I'm a massive Hazard fanboy, sue me.

LOL, read it again then i would say.

I'm saying he COULD improve the team even more than he already is. If i would imply that i expect this from him i would use words like SHOULD and I WANT HIM etc.

To put it in simple words, all i am saying is he can become even better than he already is if he would take more risk and move towards the optimum of the risk/reward ratio.

Didnt mean to be aggressive specifically towards you but this sort of stuff seem to happen to often with every post that is made around here and it tickled me in the wrong way this team, no hard feelings here

Im not posting a lot at those players threads (i actually think they are too much, i mean how much can you talk about one player?) but i'll say this thing that probably been said alot- Hazard would probably never be a 30-40 goals a season player.

When i see people comparing Alexis Sanchez to him i laugh, because its obvious Alexis is a better goal scorer, but if someone thinks it makes him better than Hazard or even close to his level than they dont get what Hazard is doing. He's more a playmaker, someone who carries the team offensively, he doesnt have to always score to make a point about his level. This season he's always there to carry, not like previous seasons when he was off here and there. I dont think there are many players who "carries their team offensively" right now in the top teams, maybe just Messi and Robben.

And i think he can win Ballon d'or even if he wont score 30-40 goals, when Messi and Ronaldo will not be there to compete. People need to understand those two are freaks- football wise and especially mentally wise. Neymar or anyone else we know who plays football right now would never get to their goal-scoring abilities, im 100% sure.

sanchez has only 13 goals , eden 11 , it's not far and if he starts well the season , he would be a 25 goals a season player. Neymar 35 and yeah he can win the ballon d'or if Neymar is injured or something else

sanchez has only 13 goals , eden 11 , it's not far and if he starts well the season , he would be a 25 goals a season player. Neymar 35 and yeah he can win the ballon d'or if Neymar is injured or something else

Hazard scored until now 16 goals in all competitions 5 of them were penaltys. He can do a lot better, he had no luck in some moments but still that's far from good.

We can check the numbers of Ronaldo and Messi, and the numbers of Neymar and Bale and understand why the first 2 are the best players in the world and the second are the next Ballon d'Or... even players like Callejon, Alexis, and others can do better numbers than Hazard.

Sanchez scored more goals without penaltys.

Neymar has 26 goals (almost without penaltys. I think Messi let him score one some weaks ago I don't remember what was the game) and played a lot less than Hazard.

The number of goals of Hazard is comparable to dozens of players all over the world, and that's not good enough for a player that want's to be a super star here or Ballon d'Or.