Eden Hazard

the wes

Haha, I remember when we first signed him and after a few months in I said that he really needs to work on his finishing and the '20 goals in Ligue 1 suggests different' talk came up. Glad people are starting to see that now it is something he has to explicitly work on.

3 main things Eden needs to continue to work on and he'll legitimately move up a level and be universally considered as one of the best players out there (or best in the BPL at least):

1. Finishing
  2. Killer instinct
  3. Off the ball movement

The latter two are developing along nicely - no longer does Hazard sit around and wait for things to happen, he actually is finally using his ability to force results which is good to see. Off the ball movement has improved as well; even though he still has some work to do. His finishing however has actually seemed to regress. It's weird. He has the technique and everything, he knows how to dispatch a ball into the bottom corner, top corner, volleys etc. but it seems to be a confidence thing/mental block whenever he does seem to get in front of goal.

If Eden works on those three points and gets them to a high level (as said before the latter two are definitely evidently improving)... Boy are we in for a treat.

I'm not glad at all. Would've rather you been wrong here.

Woeful is a bit strong. The first chance was a good block from Johnson. The second he could have been a bit cleverer and taken Johnson out of the game by taking another touch. The third time he did wonderfully to drive into the box and should have passed to Ramires who was open on the far post. At least he's starting to really drive at players and looking to commit them and force the initiative. Finishing will come with some luck and in time. I'm happy with the ambition; there's a marked change in mentality.

Woeful is a bit strong. The first chance was a good block from Johnson. The second he could have been a bit cleverer and taken Johnson out of the game by taking another touch. The third time he did wonderfully to drive into the box and should have passed to Ramires who was open on the far post. At least he's starting to really drive at players and looking to commit them and force the initiative. Finishing will come with some luck and in time. I'm happy with the ambition; there's a marked change in mentality.

Ramires will probably have missed.

I've openly criticized his finishing during the live match thread and I'll do it again. But I'm criticizing his finishing, not the player. He needs to improve, end of it. I read some fellas saying it wasn't his fault as his shots were deflected. I wonder two things 1) if it was someone else they'd say the same; 2) if they honestly think those were well taken shots. If someone the answer is yes - and I don't need to read anyone answering me - color me shocked.

While a couple of his four shots (I remember four, maybe there were more) weren't exactly that bad, the other two were far from good. Especially the one he got the pass from Ramires after that unbelievable pass by Oscar. He's all by himself, he has time, he's in front of the goal, he chooses to shoot where there's the most concentration of players (opposition or not). That's a bad decision making in terms of finishing, whether some people want to admit it or not and I'll go further, it doesn't need to be super talented to score that goal. A good finisher would have netted it, an average finisher wouldn't.

The thing is I don't think Hazard is an average finisher. It's the area of this game that needs the most improvement, but I remember a lot of well taken goals by him. He's a good finisher with a lot of room for improvement. I don't think what he's been lacking now is quality, but confidence. His problem is clearly mental. He needs to score one of those goals to feel better, to increase his confidence. His movement improved a lot and we've been begging him to add a killer instinct to his game. Well, he's half way through it. He's been getting in those position and that's not simple. It's improvement he's clearly done in the last few months. He's going for the shots - something he not usually does - so the shoot-or-not-shoot decision making improved too. He needs confidence combined with better decision making on shot placement. He needs to instinct of knowing immediately where to place the ball. He's getting there, but I think we'll only see real progress about the actual finishing when he scores one or two goals from open play. He seems to be lacking a lot of confidence and he seems a bit anxious too. He wants it really bad, you can see it easily on the way he's carrying himself in the pitch. It's a bit a lack of luck, confidence and calm combined with an area of his game he can improve. During the games I get more irritated because I feel like any of these days he can cost us points (imo he cost us the win against Maribor, but that wasn't important, so I'll overlook it), but I can coldly analyze it and say while frustrating, I'm also hopeful for the goal to come soon. It could be his turning point.

If he plays like today, Marinbor away and Swansea for every single game this season onwards iy truly doesn't matter if he fails to score for the rest of the season excluding penalties as we will win the league because of it.

Outstanding player.

I've openly criticized his finishing during the live match thread and I'll do it again. But I'm criticizing his finishing, not the player. He needs to improve, end of it. I read some fellas saying it wasn't his fault as his shots were deflected. I wonder two things 1) if it was someone else they'd say the same; 2) if they honestly think those were well taken shots. If someone the answer is yes - and I don't need to read anyone answering me - color me shocked.

While a couple of his four shots (I remember four, maybe there were more) weren't exactly that bad, the other two were far from good. Especially the one he got the pass from Ramires after that unbelievable pass by Oscar. He's all by himself, he has time, he's in front of the goal, he chooses to shoot where there's the most concentration of players (opposition or not). That's a bad decision making in terms of finishing, whether some people want to admit it or not and I'll go further, it doesn't need to be super talented to score that goal. A good finisher would have netted it, an average finisher wouldn't.

The thing is I don't think Hazard is an average finisher. It's the area of this game that needs the most improvement, but I remember a lot of well taken goals by him. He's a good finisher with a lot of room for improvement. I don't think what he's been lacking now is quality, but confidence. His problem is clearly mental. He needs to score one of those goals to feel better, to increase his confidence. His movement improved a lot and we've been begging him to add a killer instinct to his game. Well, he's half way through it. He's been getting in those position and that's not simple. It's improvement he's clearly done in the last few months. He's going for the shots - something he not usually does - so the shoot-or-not-shoot decision making improved too. He needs confidence combined with better decision making on shot placement. He needs to instinct of knowing immediately where to place the ball. He's getting there, but I think we'll only see real progress about the actual finishing when he scores one or two goals from open play. He seems to be lacking a lot of confidence and he seems a bit anxious too. He wants it really bad, you can see it easily on the way he's carrying himself in the pitch. It's a bit a lack of luck, confidence and calm combined with an area of his game he can improve. During the games I get more irritated because I feel like any of these days he can cost us points (imo he cost us the win against Maribor, but that wasn't important, so I'll overlook it), but I can coldly analyze it and say while frustrating, I'm also hopeful for the goal to come soon. It could be his undoing.

(1) This.

(2) This.

(3) And that. His body language suggests that. There's no point in trying to force the issue as the goals will come more from open play. He should know we don't rely on him for goals like last season so he should be more relaxed. It's not like he has zero goals. He's scored 5. Aside from that, his all round game has been immaculate. I didn't see the 1st half but in the 2nd, he looked by far our most dangerous attacker. Again.

I actually think that he is trying to reinvent himself too much that it is hurting his ability to really objectively affect the game. He has not, and I think even a completely top hazard will not ever be a big goal scorer. He has been the most creative player in Europe in this year, I can say that with confidence. An it is this that he should focus on, go back to the eden who gets 15-20 assists a season and improve on that. be the guy who makes the goal, that is who he is. I bet a dribbling monster like him, who gets say 30-35 assists compared to Ronaldo's goals a year will still fight for the award. As for Chelsea, I think it is in our interests to have him as the most creative player, the most dangerous, but with players like costa and maybe another RW who are the goal threat.