Chelsea - Barcelona. Big rivalry?

the master of defense, meets the master of football.

tiki taka don't win you games, a good defense does!

We are a amazing team in Europe, we are feared has been feared ever since 2005!

if it wasn't for bosignwa mistake vs united in 10.11 season we would have been champions of europe for the second year running! but thas life!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're not rival clubs. Nor will we ever be unless a European Super League is created. Just because both sets of teams and supporters loathe each other does not make it a rivalry.

Fulham and QPR are bigger rivals to us than Barcelona, IMO.

So you say...

Rival

Noun:A person or thing competing with another for the same objective or for superiority in the same field of activity.

We're not rival clubs. Nor will we ever be unless a European Super League is created. Just because both sets of teams and supporters loathe each other does not make it a rivalry.

Fulham and QPR are bigger rivals to us than Barcelona, IMO.

Nonsense.

So you say...

Rival

Noun:A person or thing competing with another for the same objective or for superiority in the same field of activity.

Sense.

Even during CL lotteries, almost all will smile and say another classic in the making. Only shows people perceives the 2 clubs are European rivals.

And we all know that Barcelona could only able to beat us whenever we are down to 10 men.

Rivalry is a two way thing. Present this idea to Barca fans and they'll lol themselves to death.

On a semi-related subject, here's Xavi showing the world what a classy gentleman he is:

'Mourinho is not going to go down in football history. For me, Guardiola is the best and has been the best during the four years he spent in charge. He has revolutionised football. Chelsea won the Champions League this year and yet Barca remain the benchmark for world football'.

DO people not undestand English?

http://dictionary.reference.com/

Rival

noun

a person who is competing for the same object or goal as another, or who tries to equal or outdo another; competitor.

a person or thing that is in a position to dispute another's preeminence or superiority: a stadium without a rival.

Competition

noun

the act of competing; rivalry for supremacy, a prize, etc.: The competition between the two teams was bitter.

a contest for some prize, honor, or advantage: Both girls entered the competition.

the rivalry offered by a competitor: The small merchant gets powerful competition from the chain stores.

a competitor or competitors: What is your competition offering?

Sociology . rivalry between two or more persons or groups for an object desired in common, usually resulting in a victor and a loser but not necessarily involving the destruction of the latter.

Chelsea and Barcelona are rivals becuase they compete against eachother.

Barcelona and Celta Vigo are rivals because they compete.

Chelsea and Aston Villa are rivals becuase they compete.

The day they chuck pigs heads at Romeu, Deco and Belletti is the day I will agree.

This, we are rivals, but I think the question is asked wrongly.

It should be more like are Cheslea vs Barcelona a classic?

Are Chelsea vs Barcelona what would be a Liverpool vs United?

Hecks no!

Rivals we are, but not in that category to be consider classic, or the magnitude of a Liverpool vs United.

Xavi's recent comments have caused me to lose a lot of respect for him. He is a sore loser and all round prick it seems.

What you talking about?

Xavi is right!

Even Torres said something similar.

Xavi says Madrid are sore losers when it's only recently Spain's performances have declined due to Barcelona losing. He continues to harp on about his team even though we won the CL. He says the world's greatest Manager Jose Mourinho won't go down in history but Guardiola will.

......Sounds like a sore loser and a prick to me.

Xavi says Madrid are sore losers when it's only recently Spain's performances have declined due to Barcelona losing. He continues to harp on about his team even though we won the CL. He says the world's greatest Manager Jose Mourinho won't go down in history but Guardiola will.

And he has only been saying shit like that for the last year or two, he didn't have the nerve before.

"Cesc is suffering." - :cry:

Xavi said:

He has revolutionised football

Is he right or wrong?

Is Barcelona the benchmark or Mourinho?

As far as I can tell we all want to beat Barcelona and play as good as them.

Xavi has said a lot more things than that.

But the main idea of what he said, is that:

A. Pep revolutionized the world with what he did at Barcelona.

and

B. Barcelona still remain the benchmark despite Chelsea winning the CL.

Nothing wrong with that to me.

I don't understand why people want to glorify our club as the antithesis to Barcelona.

Its not as if we were always playing this way against them. We've played good attacking football in the past and have won. The fact is, over the last decade, thanks to the influence of a lot of managers and an experienced core of players, we have become tactically superior to most teams in Europe, and have thus managed to adapt to any kind of opposition, with any sort of first 11. Against this Pep Guardiola team we had no choice but to play in a withdrawn manner.