Youth Induction from 2012-2015

Now that we have secured the Holy Grail (its not justified to call it that anymore, is it? ;) ), we should look for giving our youth a proper chance. I love the fact that we are strengthening the squad with some of the most awesome players, but I will like it more if we left enough space to provide decent opportunities to some of the most anticipated footballers that our academy is honing.

I personally feel Kakuta, Hutch and Kalas should be given a chance in 2012-13 with loan deals to Josh, Milan, Clifford and Kane. And loan deals which assure playing time and hopefully in decent teams.

What other youngsters can be looked at in the next 3 years, with an aim to break them into the first team and hopefully some day become first team regulars? Piazon, Feruz, Chalobah, Ake, Affane, Baker and Blackman come to mind.

I want to see Chelsea be a top team in Europe forever for sure but I would love it if we can make it happen with enough youngsters that we have seen grow as footballers from the start.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What other youngsters can be looked at in the next 3 years, with an aim to break them into the first team and hopefully some day become first team regulars? Piazon, Feruz, Chalobah, Ake, Affane, Baker and Blackman come to mind.

I am most interested to see how Bamford and Ake develop from the least mentioned names. They are not widely hyped, but have drawn adulations from different coaches, Ake was also one of the surprise names AVB thew out when talking about potential in our youth team. We all know that the likes of Josh and Piazon come with huge expectations. Also Lalkovic has impressed me, but I think it's a dead case since all places are quiet over him, a move away is imminent I feel. Same goes for John Swift, rarely mentioned but one of the most important players in our academy team apparently, still young though and things may change. I think it's clear that Kakuta isn't a serious contender anymore, seeing how we're stacking up on his position with other imports.

I believe before we start talking of getting the youth introduced to the big bad world of football, the priority should be who would be the manager and stability along with it. because the futures of these young guns in waiting would be solely on who is on the hot seat and his philosophies. If he is a risk taker than the youth have a real good shot at their careers within Chelsea but if he someone who plays it safe then the chances would go down considerably for them.

Other than that it has been a mixed bag so far, so being good on their loan tenures and some not so good. It would be too early to say where would these guys land up.

Despite what many say, Chelsea has a really good academy.

It was never a question of how godd the academy is, the performances of the youth squad and the FA youth cups they have won are evident to that. The problem lies in not giving the players in the academy a decent chance with the first squad because of all the changes in management.

It was never a question of how godd the academy is, the performances of the youth squad and the FA youth cups they have won are evident to that. The problem lies in not giving the players in the academy a decent chance with the first squad because of all the changes in management.

I was going to say exactly that but indolence struck.

I thought Kalas was loaned out because he couldn't get a work permit? Is he anywhere nearer obtaining one do we know?

As others have said, we're better off keeping him at Vitesse. Including Hutch, we've got five centre backs at the club already. He wouldn't get a kick.

I can't see Bruma ever making it here. The amount of mistakes he's made in games for Hamburg is terrifying. Odd though, as he was superb when out on loan at Leicester City.

Chalobah is young, very young, so I can't see anything new from him any time too soon.

So - Hopefully if he does get a permit at some point, Kalas should definitely return. He is at times a little mistake-prone, but often makes up for it with great acceleration and then nicking the ball out from behind the attackers legs. (I assume the mistakes will go with age.)

No one in Holland, as I understand, expected Vitesse to qualify for the Europa League (they finished 15th last season), but our 19 year old Kalas (29 league appearances) was a driving force behind them achieving the feat.

HOWEVER - I hope we stop loaning players to Vitesse. This is possibly the only player who's ever developed at least a little bit well from our academy over there.

I thought Kalas was loaned out because he couldn't get a work permit? Is he anywhere nearer obtaining one do we know?

As others have said, we're better off keeping him at Vitesse. Including Hutch, we've got five centre backs at the club already. He wouldn't get a kick.

Work permit? :blink:

I admitt our country is small but we are still in European Union :D

Yes you are but you are still wrong, Rajkovic wasnt loaned he was sold to Hamburger SV :D

I think he has a buy back clause of some sort. I remember AVB talking about it. So if we ever wanted to, we could get him back.

I think he has a buy back clause of some sort. I remember AVB talking about it. So if we ever wanted to, we could get him back.

Yes he has, but that doesnt mean he wasnt sold :D And I expect that he has some clause similiar to one that Oriol Romeu has.

The most important thing is giving opportunities to the youth players. For example, Barcelona's acadamy isn't much better than Real's acadamy but Real doesn't give any opportunities to their youth players whilst Barca does. I believe youth players often are good enough but they aren't given any chances to shine. Everytime Bertrand was given an opportunity he was at least decent.

I am from Holland and in Holland we give opportunities to youth players. Not only in this day and age but also when Dutch clubs were one of the best in the world. When players like Seedorf and Bergkamp made their debut, they were 16-18. Coaches like Van Gaal and Rijkaard gave players like Messi and Xavi their debut at a very young age. O fcourse these are all exceptionally talented players but they are just the first examples I can think of. "When a player is good enough, you shouldn't look at his age" - Johan Cruijff (or something like that)

• 4 weeks later...

So much needs to change to help us bring through players better, it is going to be interesting to see how the new U21's development league works. Could be key to aiding in the gap. Having Ryan Betrand around is a big plus and he needs to get plenty of games next season. Kakuta will either be sold or stay with the club and will need plenty of minutes on the first team pitch. Appearances here and there for the few standout players Piazon ect..

Like i say so much is going to depend on the new U21's league, will decide if we send some players out on loan or keep for these games.