David Luiz

the wes

"He is a fantastic defender with the ball," Ancelotti said. "He has to improve without the ball and he has to be more focused defensively but obviously he will improve.

Bingo.

"He will be the future of Chelsea. In our kind of football it is important for the centre-backs to start to play from the back with clean passes."

Building from the back - no more lumping it up to Drogba and hoping for the best. Good stuff. :yes:

The Baresi role.

Franco Baresi was one of the best at building from the back, he used to be the one to carry the ball from the keeper, to link up the attacking play. Kind of like the Defensive midfielder role, except with Baresi you didn't need that holding player, you could put a more attacking midfielder on with the knowledge of knowing service would come from the back. Luiz can definitely achieve that role, but he has to stay more disciplined.

Luiz is not complacent about his life as a footballer, especially after his father Ladislau, who was a promising player, had to quit because he needed to earn money to look after Luiz's grandmother.

"My father said to me that he had to give up on his dream so that we could live as a family. He was a very good player, better than me," said Luiz.

To achieve his dream, the Chelsea star had to leave home aged 14 when his local club Sao Paulo rejected him for being too small.

He went to Esporte Clube Vitoria in the city of Salvador and after breaking into their first team as an 18-year-old, he then switched to Benfica two years later.

Luiz added: "I left home when I was 14 to go to Salvador and I didn't see my family until I was 16, but my parents always taught me that there is a right way and a wrong way and that I have to make a choice between the two. I have always been happy with the decisions that I make.

"I also believe everything happens for a reason. I believe in God. When the offer came from Chelsea I felt it was right. I had lots of offers from a lot of clubs but I never felt the same way about them as I did about Chelsea."

A bit of background on Luiz, reported by SkySports today..

John Terry, who definitely needed a consistent and capable partner alongside him in defence in the long-term absence of Alex, has clearly appreciated presence. So much so in fact, he's gone as far as to say "On the pitch he has been incredible, a real exceptional player, and is a possible future captain of the club, he has provided a real buzz around the camp."

story here

• 2 weeks later...