David Luiz

the wes

Barbara hits the nail on the head.

I read somewhere that Thiago Silva's perfect reading of the game makes David Luiz look good. Well, that's absolutely right!

David Luiz also makes Thiago Silva look good by being able to actually play football once they regain possession. Thiago Silva is short for a defender, only decent aerial ability, very pedestrian and unimaginative on the ball. If you watch Brazil play you will notice that Thiago never carries the ball forward, it's always Luiz.

Thiago Silva and David Luiz make a perfect pairing in my book because they complement each other very well. The unit has no flaws even if individually they do.

Oh well he's gone - move on.

Back to strategy, it is very strange to me that Jose could not did not want to use a player like Luiz. Jose's last CL win included the DL in his team, which was Lucio (similar deficiencies too). He would be the one carrying the football out of defense. I haven't seen Zouma play, but from what I hear he isn't that player either.

Take our CBs for instance: they are essentially the same player x 2. They lack tremendously in certain areas, especially the ones related to going forward: pace (high defense line), proactive defending, technique, and vision. I know that the typical English view is that defenders defend, but that's wrong. The same way CAMs and strikers have to defend, defenders have to create too.

I am actually very concerned that I am still going to see a lot of Matic dropping way back to receive a short pass from our defense - one of the drawbacks of employing a deep defense line. Those are precious seconds that the weaker sides playing @the bridge will gladly take.

:lol: Case in point. I won't waste my time debating with you. You have your opinion and I have mine, or am I not allowed to have mine because I disagree with you? I look at the fact Spurs signed Vertonghen for £10 million and that we spent £21 million on Luiz and can do nothing more than sigh.

Also, you seem to be confusing "facts" with your opinion. Good day to you.

By far the most depressing one is Roma signing Benatia for €13.5m but in the end we got £50m for him so can't really complain.

Barbara hits the nail on the head.

I read somewhere that Thiago Silva's perfect reading of the game makes David Luiz look good. Well, that's absolutely right!

David Luiz also makes Thiago Silva look good by being able to actually play football once they regain possession. Thiago Silva is short for a defender, only decent aerial ability, very pedestrian and unimaginative on the ball. If you watch Brazil play you will notice that Thiago never carries the ball forward, it's always Luiz.

Thiago Silva and David Luiz make a perfect pairing in my book because they complement each other very well. The unit has no flaws even if individually they do.

Oh well he's gone - move on.

Back to strategy, it is very strange to me that Jose could not did not want to use a player like Luiz. Jose's last CL win included the DL in his team, which was Lucio (similar deficiencies too). He would be the one carrying the football out of defense. I haven't seen Zouma play, but from what I hear he isn't that player either.

Take our CBs for instance: they are essentially the same player x 2. They lack tremendously in certain areas, especially the ones related to going forward: pace (high defense line), proactive defending, technique, and vision. I know that the typical English view is that defenders defend, but that's wrong. The same way CAMs and strikers have to defend, defenders have to create too.

I am actually very concerned that I am still going to see a lot of Matic dropping way back to receive a short pass from our defense - one of the drawbacks of employing a deep defense line. Those are precious seconds that the weaker sides playing @the bridge will gladly take.

I disagree.

Silva is better than Luiz on the ball and better off the ball. Silva's primary weakness at times is aerial battles.

Whenever, I see both of them paired up, Luiz plays like JT/Cahill and Silva plays like Luiz (as the agressor). From what I recall, Silva was a striker in youth level, however, became a defender by default.

Too me, losing Mata to United wasn't a big deal because mata wont be featured there or Spain.

However, losing Luiz is kind of different. Luiz might have a chance to rise up to world's best status with Silva/PSG and Luiz is only 27 (very young in terms of a CB).

Too me, losing Mata to United wasn't a big deal because mata wont be featured there or Spain.

However, losing Luiz is kind of different. Luiz might have a chance to rise up to world's best status with Silva/PSG and Luiz is only 27 (very young in terms of a CB).

Luiz was never gonna reach that level.with Chelsea.

With Mourinho, probably not...

However, under a different system he could.

Similar to ramos and Pepe this season. Those 2 had their best seasons in years.

Unfortunately. We wouldn't use the correct system for him, so £50m was an offer we couldn't turn down. I hope he can be great at PSG.

I disagree.

Silva is better than Luiz on the ball and better off the ball. Silva's primary weakness at times is aerial battles.

Whenever, I see both of them paired up, Luiz plays like JT/Cahill and Silva plays like Luiz (as the agressor). From what I recall, Silva was a striker in youth level, however, became a defender by default.

Agree to disagree then, because for me the gap between the two players in terms of technique is immense. Really don't think much of Thiago Silva aside from his reading of the game - obviously pretty important skill for a defender.

I think you need to watch Brazil more because David Luiz is the player designated to carry the football forward by Scolari, which is the obvious choice for pundits and fans alike. Thiago Silva has no long ball to speak of, while Luiz has assisted Neymar and others a number of times. His passing has been pretty impressive for Brazil. They've both been very impressive for Brazil - best CB pairing I've seen in many years; too bad the rest of the team isn't at the same level.

Interestingly, we haven't really heard whether PSG will employ him as a CB, CB/CM, or CM. People just assume he's going to be employed as a defender.

Zolayes,

Yup Scolari and Benitez are also special ones... :rolleyes:

Besides, if Jose did not get the best of DL and sold him for 50m imagine if he had... Watch out Bale!

We will see who was right in the next few years.

He deserves a thanks for what he has done since being at the club which included a CL winning medal. I wish him all the luck in the world.

But from a business point of view this was 100 percent the right thing to do, end of.

I think Luiz is exactly the kind of player PSG need.

He is a very intelligent guy (not talking about his tactical intelligence), big personality. In the defeat for Chelsea it was clear PSG still lacks personality, they lack big characters like Luiz.

I think he will be huge success in Paris.

Guess what. We lack character too and we sold the biggest one.

Ramos might be average defender but his character and fighting performances in CL games (for example last year Bvb or this year finale), he was the reason Real made better.

Luiz might not have as much quality; but he has character and that wins you big games. Ronaldo did nothing in final, yet he is best player in world. Ramos saved their asses. That kind if impact Luiz has too.

Ramos might be average defender but his character and fighting performances in CL games (for example last year Bvb or this year finale), he was the reason Real made better.

Luiz might not have as much quality; but he has character and that wins you big games. Ronaldo did nothing in final, yet he is best player in world. Ramos saved their asses. That kind if impact Luiz has too.

I think you're underselling the character of lots of the Chelsea players. If that match away to Liverpool wasn't one built on character, grit and determination then I don't know what was.

People can mythologise Luiz if they must but we've sold a player who we couldn't trust in defence and wasn't good enough for midfield for a fee probably double what he was actually worth. The rest of our players will continue to grow and develop under the greatest character we could hope to have at this club - Jose Mourinho.

Luiz was more of a character via Twitter than on the field.