David Luiz

the wes

Last night pointed out exactly why I don't see David Luiz as a mainstay in CM. Against a team that is excellent at pressing he'd get found out - exactly what happened yesterday. We struggled to control the midfield partly because of him.

Needs to stay at CB next season, only stepping in at CM when we have injuries or players need a rest.

Exactly what i have been saying!

I hope people realise now that David Luiz is a CB and a very very good one!

Last night pointed out exactly why I don't see David Luiz as a mainstay in CM. Against a team that is excellent at pressing he'd get found out - exactly what happened yesterday. We struggled to control the midfield partly because of him.

Needs to stay at CB next season, only stepping in at CM when we have injuries or players need a rest.

Yesterday was the first time that Luiz has played in midfield against teams that actually press. Even when we played Tottenham, Parker and Huddlestone were not pressing our midfield. And it showed exactly what we've been saying. He was so passive and sloppy. Just looked completely lost in there. And it's not his fault, you can't play your whole career at CB and then just move to midfield at the age of 26. It's a very difficult transition.

Hope this is the end of the "Luiz in midfield" experiment unless we have a crisis of injuries there.

Yesterday was the first time that Luiz has played in midfield against teams that actually press. Even when we played Tottenham, Parker and Huddlestone were not pressing our midfield. And it showed exactly what we've been saying. He was so passive and sloppy. Just looked completely lost in there. And it's not his fault, you can't play your whole career at CB and then just move to midfield at the age of 26. It's a very difficult transition.

Hope this is the end of the "Luiz in midfield" experiment unless we have a crisis of injuries there.

Agreed, but it's not an experiment... he is just covering because of our thin squad.

Having a player like him, who *can* cover as a DM/CM when needed is an asset, not a problem. Yes, I also think it was overused, but again, because we lacked squad players this season. Last season we had to play Ferreira as a CB, this season Luiz played several games in the midfield... just weird.

Luiz, “We won the Champions League so last year I ate steak. Now I have chicken but I’m hungry again. When you win something, it gives you the appetite for more.” WTF?! :D

Can't really say he had a good game, but he did a job and we won. He's not a CM but we had no other options for that position. Maybe we could've gone with Rami in the middle and Moses wide, or maybe even thrown Ake in but it's been a problem position all season and he was probably as good as any.

Agreed. He would've been perfect for our pivot. Brilliant defensively, can drive the team forward from midfield and has excellent short passing game. Only thing he could work on really was his long range passing but his pros definitely outweigh his cons. Shame we didn't go for him, £15m is a steal.

Dembele has the most accurate long passing game of the PL.

http://blog.squawka.com/2013/04/09/official-dembele-is-best-long-ball-passer-in-premier-league-arsenal-fulham-stars-close-behind/201304097090

thanks for the info, but really depressing (that we missed signing him).

thanks for the info, but really depressing (that we missed signing him).

That's something i really "hate" about us. We never do any 'deals'. We could of bought vertonghen and Dembele for 24? M pound. Everyone who has seen them play before going to the spurs knew they are (almost) on a world class level. With those 2 signings we would be playing for the titel in my opinion.

That's something i really "hate" about us. We never do any 'deals'. We could of bought vertonghen and Dembele for 24? M pound. Everyone who has seen them play before going to the spurs knew they are (almost) on a world class level. With those 2 signings we would be playing for the titel in my opinion.

I always like the Belgians outside of Chelsea...

Vert, Kompany, and Dembele. Vert could of been perfect for us since he can play both positions on the backline.

@Choulo19: Unless we buy another CM/CDM, this Luiz in midfield experiment will continue. No sane manager will start John Obi Mikel ahead of him. I guess you will just have to deal with it.

I think Romeo may get some games for the DM.....

With our current team, I would hope Romeo, Rambo/Oscar to start next season.

Well, we can have better in the next transfer window I think.

Disagree. Verthongen is good on the ball but I'm not a fan of his defensive qualities.