David Luiz

the wes

Square peg in a round hole shifting him all over the place. The fact remains he is a CB and that's that, he needs to start showing his worth in that position alone, let's just hope he can because right now I am not so sure.

David started both friendlies for Brazil and was captain in the first one when Thiago did not play.

His passing was the usual, great overall, but I was particularly impressed by his long passing against Chile because Chile apply pressure very high up the pitch; their players had obviously been instructed to stop David from carrying the football. Still, he assisted! Neymar, hulk, and Oscar a few times even under pressure from the back.... really incredible stuff.

On the defensive side he looked better with faster play and interceptions. He was slow to close down on Chile's goal though: Thiago completely missed his aerial interception leaving David as the last man (big no no), David attempted a block but was just too far from the player (Vargas), and finally Julio Cesar had no reaction - Brazil's weakest link IMO. Brazil don't produce great Gk unfortunately.

I've been paying attention to Luiz performances for Brazil and I think it's not just sharpness; he's a bit slower than he was last season. Not sure whether it was due to too much partying after the Conf Cup win, too much fun on vacation, who knows?! Still, I see he's lacking fitness for both Chelsea and Brazil.

BTW, the irony of it is that if we go back a few (many) pages, we will see many ppl complaining of how aggressive luiz is and how he needs to tone it down a bit; now we feel he's not been aggressive enough and too lax.

I agree with your analyses about Luiz performance.

However, Brazil has had amazing keepers throughout our history. Some of the all time best, imo.

Dida was really amazing. However, he died out pretty fast..

JC was at a point fighting for top gk as well.

Dida was really amazing. However, he died out pretty fast..

JC was at a point fighting for top gk as well.

Not disagreeing with you (when talking about his peak), but Dida is Gremio's goalkeeper 2nd in the Brasileiro with 2 matches to go. Vargas who scored for Chile is also tehre, on loan, from Napoli.

Its really embarrassing for Mourinho. Luiz captain for Brazil NT, playing good football, while Cahill can't even start for poor English team. Mourinho must do something quickly.

It really doesn't matter what Luiz does for Brazil. He has to be consistent for us, and when he is then he won't get dropped.

It really doesn't matter what Luiz does for Brazil. He has to be consistent for us, and when he is then he won't get dropped.

Your argument would make sense if Cahill was consistent, which he pedantically is, consistently terrible that is...

If Luiz doesn't get in the team he'll leave in January, probably for Barca, and I wish him good luck.

As things stand he doesn't quite fit Mourinho's system, the way we have been playing deep to compensate for Terry's lack of pace/mobility. Under ABV or Rafa he was at home and Terry was like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

They're both players I like and admire, but the system that fits one doesn't suit the other. Luiz is immense for Brazil because Scolari plays an intermittent false third centre half in Luis Gustavo who seamlessly fills in when either Silva or Luiz are up the field. It works a treat, but our pivots can't even do their own jobs let alone cover for other players, meaning there's no chance we could try something similar as of now.

He'll be back in the team soon enough, after that shambolic defending against WBA.

Agreed. If even after WBA game David doesn't get the nod, then he needs to move.

THe only question mark is Roman who's said to be a big fan of Luiz.

Agreed. If even after WBA game David doesn't get the nod, then he needs to move.

THe only question mark is Roman who's said to be a big fan of Luiz.

I think he's got a much better chance of coming in against Basel, rather than a high pressure London derby.

Cahill really wasn't the disaster against West Brom that some people seem to want to make him out to be whereas Luiz has been dropped TWICE now for poor performances.

I think he's got a much better chance of coming in against Basel, rather than a high pressure London derby.

Cahill really wasn't the disaster against West Brom that some people seem to want to make him out to be whereas Luiz has been dropped TWICE now for poor performances.

that's where we all disagree here: some of us think Cahill is not good enough == consistently poor.

that's where we all disagree here: some of us think Cahill is not good enough == consistently poor.

I think a fair few people have an agenda. Personally I think he has his place, but right now he's probably a more consistent partner for JT considering Luiz's rather erratic recent form.

Luiz has the physical and technical attributes but he's put in disgraceful performances for us this season that make me question how much he values wearing the shirt. Cahill has never made me question his commitment.

I think a fair few people have an agenda. Personally I think he has his place, but right now he's probably a more consistent partner for JT considering Luiz's rather erratic recent form.

Luiz has the physical and technical attributes but he's put in disgraceful performances for us this season that make me question how much he values wearing the shirt. Cahill has never made me question his commitment.

no not an agenda at all - as a brazil supporter I actually think he *should* move to Barca; that would be good for David, Brazil, and esp Barcelona!

As a pre-abra Chelsea supporter, I am 100% sure that Cahill is not good enough to start for ANY top club in the world. It's just his technique or there lack thereof. I couldn't care less about his commitment. Championship is filled with players who give 100%. The Irish give 110% in every match and they lose every time. Barca look like they couldn't care less (like David) because they use their great technique far more than they use their physique, but that would be the wrong impression to have.

no not an agenda at all - as a brazil supporter I actually think he *should* move to Barca; that would be good for David AND Brazil!

As a pre-abra Chelsea supporter, I am 100% sure that Cahill is not good enough to start for ANY top club in the world. It's just his technique or there lack thereof. I couldn't care less about his commitment. Championship is filled with players who give 100%. The Irish give 110% in every match and they lose every time. Barca look like they couldn't care less (like David) because they use their technique more than they use their physique, but that would be the wrong impression to have.

Two things.

1. I think you're on your own with that commitment thing. Supporters want to see players giving a shit

2. You're so wrong about Barca it's not even funny. Their success wasn't built just on Tika-Taka but on hard fucking work. They worked their bollocks off every time they lost the ball and pressured other teams into making mistakes. Read Guardiola's book (by Balague) to see the reverence he held commitment to the cause in.

I've never seen one of their players put in a performance like the one David put in against Cardiff and I'm not alone in thinking his 'character' needs some work.

Two things.

1. I think you're on your own with that commitment thing. Supporters want to see players giving a shit

2. You're so wrong about Barca it's not even funny. Their success wasn't built just on Tika-Taka but on hard fucking work. They worked their bollocks off every time they lost the ball and pressured other teams into making mistakes. Read Guardiola's book (by Balague) to see the reverence he held commitment to the cause in.

I've never seen one of their players put in a performance like the one David put in against Cardiff and I'm not alone in thinking his 'character' needs some work.

#1 please don't quote what I did not write. I did not say commitment is not needed, but merely that is is hardly enough.There are far more players that give 100% than players who are good enough to play for a top side. Merely based on the small number of top sides in the world.

#2 We go back to #1 - they don't win because of their amazing commitment, but their fantastic technique.

#1 please don't quote what I did not write. I did not say commitment is not needed, but merely that is is hardly enough.There are far more players that give 100% than players who are good enough to play for a top side. Merely based on the small number of top sides in the world.

#2 We go back to #1 - they don't win because of their amazing commitment, but their fantastic technique.

1. You said you couldn't care less about his commitment. You're on your own.

2. I disagree.

Honestly, we just have different views on what we want from the men who represent this club. To me talent is such a small part of what it takes anyone to be successful. Attitude and commitment is so much more important.

1. You said you couldn't care less about his commitment. You're on your own.

2. I disagree.

Honestly, we just have different views on what we want from the men who represent this club. To me talent is such a small part of what it takes anyone to be successful. Attitude and commitment is so much more important.

1. Yes, I said it to make a point a hyperbole as we use it so often around here. Commitment is cheap, most professional players playing at this level have enough commitment otherwise they wouldn't be there. It's a competitive sport after all. I was referring to Cahill. Whether he is committed or not makes no difference to me because his technique is not good enough at this level - not for England not for Chelsea.

2. So, you think commitment is enough? So England is not committed enough? That's why they lose?! Brazil won 5 times with the likes of Romario, Ronaldo, Ronaldimho, and Rivaldo, known to be the most committed players ever... :rolleyes: