David Luiz

the wes

Sure he will get over it with a nice holiday in luxury accommodation then decide which supercar to buy to drive around Paris lol

I know it's probably a tongue in cheek comment but losing is hard, especially when you feel hugely passionate about that one thing. Time is a great healer and I hope for him alone that he bounces back and really kicks on at PSG.

Why do people want to see such a nice guy fail? It bewilders me.

This whole 'nice guy' schtick is just so overplayed though. The Brazilian team went overboard with the emotional stuff in the World Cup, but Luiz's mawkish attempts were the worst. He's a preening, selfish, look-at-me type player. It's that stuff I objected to with his constant instagramming.

Maybe I'm being cynical but I don't think much of what he does is sincere. The way he hijacked James Rodriguez after the final whistle, the emotional screaming of the national anthem....every single act seems almost scripted to attract the world's cameras, right down to the emotional final speech, eyes red from tears, voice cracking....just in front of the advertisements.

And it's worked. He's become the world's most expensive defender when he has HUGE deficiencies. He has 4 million Twitter followers, a distinctive, hugely marketable look and even the trademark gesture (tongue out, thumbs up with the pinky finger pointing down....if you think that's any less scripted than Bale's trademarked 'heart' gesture then you're naive) which all adds up to one thing - endorsement deals.

Oh, and I know I'll be accused of being a hater and orchestrating some slanderous campaign against a sincere young boy who just wants to play football. Maybe I'm cynical but I've been around enough sportspeople and 'their people' to know that very little of what you see in front of the cameras hasn't been planned, vetted, focus-grouped and sponsored long before it ever happens.

We just criticized his performance on the pitch, no one can deny it sometimes (or many times) he doesn't play well as CB. Yes in CL final and when playing against Benfica, everyone will agree it is his best performances.

I'm sure no one here dislike him personally or his personality. He is an amazing human being, but not an 'amazing' player (CB), like Terry for example.

And one thing that always in my mind about Luiz, despite his natural position is a CB, he is always giving top performance every time he is deployed as a DM / CM. He is a world class DM / CM in my opinion. Also he is always naturally want to go forward, every time he is deploy as a CB.

I wonder why no manager realized about it.

And one thing that always in my mind about Luiz, despite his natural position is a CB, he is always giving top performance every time he is deployed as a DM / CM. He is a world class DM / CM in my opinion. Also he is always naturally want to go forward, every time he is deploy as a CB.

I wonder why no manager realized about it.

So you realised that he's a world class DM but Jose Mourinho didn't. Is that likely?

so yeah... David Luiz is a brilliant actor. All he does is play the character of this really passionate and emotional guy

Come on OPTB. that's wrong

Someone doesn't have to be an 'actor' for something to be an act.

But of course why would he play up the emotional shit? It's not like the cameras will be drawn to him more thus increasing his profile and earning power...oh wait.

Out of interest do you think that footballers endorse products because they genuinely believe in their quality?

Someone doesn't have to be an 'actor' for something to be an act.

But of course why would he play up the emotional shit? It's not like the cameras will be drawn to him more thus increasing his profile and earning power...oh wait.

Out of interest do you think that footballers endorse products because they genuinely believe in their quality?

i don't think he's playing up anything. that's just who he is. that's the way he's been since he's signed for Chelsea 3 years ago. maybe you don't rate him as a player but he's a genuine person at the end of it all.

i don't think he's playing up anything. that's just who he is. that's the way he's been since he's signed for Chelsea 3 years ago. maybe you don't rate him as a player but he's a genuine person at the end of it all.

That's your opinion, but it's not mine. Just don't believe the image you see on tv because he's by no means naive when it comes to understanding the way to market an image, and nor are the people he pays a lot of money.

Simple fact is that he's somehow the second most marketable star of this tournament. You may think stuff like that 'just happens' but it doesn't.

You don't think he is brilliant as a DM ?

No. He's ok as a DM but he's not brilliant. He's certainly had good games there but let's not go overboard.

Although once again there's the discussion about where the world's most expensive defender's best position is.

That's your opinion, but it's not mine. Just don't believe the image you see on tv because he's by no means naive when it comes to understanding the way to market an image, and nor are the people he pays a lot of money.

Simple fact is that he's somehow the second most marketable star of this tournament. You may think stuff like that 'just happens' but it doesn't.

how is that a fact?

Luiz has been the same way (carefree, joking, passionate etc) since he joined Chelsea and i'm guessing he was the same even before at Benfica and in brazil. i don't think he's that good an actor to keep it up in every interview, every training session, match in his career of over 7-8 years

No. He's ok as a DM but he's not brilliant. He's certainly had good games there but let's not go overboard.

Although once again there's the discussion about where the world's most expensive defender's best position is.

Chelsea 2-1 Liverpool

Chelsea 3-1 MU

Man City 0-1 Chelsea

Chelsea 2-0 PSG

Atletico 0-0 Chelsea

Luiz all play as a DM. 2013-14 season only.

how is that a fact?

Luiz has been the same way (carefree, joking, passionate etc) since he joined Chelsea and i'm guessing he was the same even before at Benfica and in brazil. i don't think he's that good an actor to keep it up in every interview, every training session, match in his career of over 7-8 years

Same about his game. Reckon his heat map from Benfica time and his heat map today should look very similar too. :)

Did PSG buy him despite of his heat map or because of it? I have to assume we don't know better than professional scouts and coaches who do this 24/7 and get well paid for it. Like Benitez said, David is a peculiar CB with virtues and weaknesses, it's up to the coach to deal with it, or not.

Now, one thing we can all agree about is that it makes no sense to name him the skipper: it exacerbates his weakness, which is concentration. He can barely stay focused on his own shit, much less organize a defense. On the same token, Thiago Silva is also not captain Material, for different reasons.

I really fail to understand why some Chelsea fans seem so glad he failed his country massively. Sure, after a performance like that I'm very happy that the club managed to sell him before the World Cup and not after, but I still like the guy a lot and wish him well in the future and it broke my heart seeing him cry like that.

Say what you want about his footballing abilities, or lack thereof, but David Luiz is still an amazing person and a player who contributed massively in the club's recent success, especially the 2012 Champions League campaign where he even played the final injured and didn't put a foot wrong. Show some respect ffs.

I find it hypocritical how other ex players who fit the profile get zero respect from huge majority of Chelsea fans and no one publicly comes to their defence. Salomon kalou being a perfect example. He contributed to our success in the past as well and was one of the nicest and funniest personalities in the dressing room but I guess his lack of Brazilian nationality and curly hair counted against the Ivorian.

I have no problem with the showing respect part but it has to be one rule for all and no preferential treatment.