David Luiz

the wes

Manchester City on alert as Benfica tell Chelsea to improve £27m bid for defender David Luiz.

Chelsea have been told they must stump up £33million to sign top defensive target David Luiz from Benfica.

Sportsmail revealed on Saturday that Carlo Ancelotti has identified Luiz as the man he wants to plug the gap in the centre of Chelsea's defence.

But Benfica, who are on the verge of selling midfielder Ramires to Chelsea in a £20m deal, are determined to play hard ball over Luiz who received his first call-up to the senior Brazil team yesterday by new coach Mano Menezes.

Chelsea were ready to pay £27m to head off the formidable opponents of both Manchester City and Real Madrid in the race to sign one of Europe's most highly rated young defenders.

And it remains to be seen whether Roman Abramovich is determined to go the extra mile for his manager who will be without injured defender Alex for the start of the season.

With Ricardo Carvalho having signaled his desire for a move to the Bernabeu and a reunion with Jose Mourinho, Ancelotti could find himself short of numbers in central defence if Chelsea are unsuccessful in their big money move for Luiz.

|| Source ||

Lol

Last year when City wanted to buy Terry they gave 40 mln and now we are offering 27 for some young lad without experience in PL?

Yes for him, no for that price

Edited by Manuf

I'm more on the side of not signing him. Let Man city sign him and when he has a average to poor season there, we'll laugh :)

I'd much rather see, If riccy leaves, Ivanovic and Alex battle to play alongside Terry, with Bruma also an option in the 25 man squad.

Also, with Belletti leaving, we have Hutchinson who can be a 2nd choice RB to Bosingwa. And i havent forgot about Ferrierra.... He can play....anywhere haha :)

Manchester City and Real Madrid are in a head to head battle to sign Benfica defender David Luiz , with City currently having made the highest offer.

According to Spanish daily Marca, Manchester City have offered Benfica 33 million euros for the Brazilian. The Portugese giants are now waiting to see if Real Madrid will match the bid, having previously offered 28 million euros.

The 23-year-old has been at Benfica his entire career and was particularly impressive last season as the side won the Portuguese title. Luiz is renowned as an intelligent, quick and strong defender.

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini scouted Luiz on a number of occasions last season, including when he played left-back against Liverpool in the Europa League quarterfinal. Mancini has already strengthened City's defence this summer with the signing of Lazio left-back Aleksandar Kolarov .

It is thought that Luiz himself would prefer a move to the Bernabeu than Eastlands. Marca quotes him saying, "I would like to play with Kaka".

|| IMScouting ||

Manchester City and Real Madrid are in a head to head battle to sign Benfica defender David Luiz , with City currently having made the highest offer.

According to Spanish daily Marca, Manchester City have offered Benfica 33 million euros for the Brazilian. The Portugese giants are now waiting to see if Real Madrid will match the bid, having previously offered 28 million euros.

The 23-year-old has been at Benfica his entire career and was particularly impressive last season as the side won the Portuguese title. Luiz is renowned as an intelligent, quick and strong defender.

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini scouted Luiz on a number of occasions last season, including when he played left-back against Liverpool in the Europa League quarterfinal. Mancini has already strengthened City's defence this summer with the signing of Lazio left-back Aleksandar Kolarov .

It is thought that Luiz himself would prefer a move to the Bernabeu than Eastlands. Marca quotes him saying, "I would like to play with Kaka".

|| IMScouting ||

Great news - Let City have him. It's not like his arrival is going to plug their defence, not with Kolo Toure still around!

Great news - Let City have him. It's not like his arrival is going to plug their defence, not with Kolo Toure still around!

Aha exactly! We don't need him at all, we have enough defenders in my opinion.

he is a quality defender, of that there is no doubt in my mind...but £33 million is too much for a team who aren`t in dire need of a new CB..hope he stays at Benfica because he would make either Man city or Real a better team..especially Man City..who i would only class as a serious threat to us if they could get their defense sorted out.

I think it's a bloody good Idea Buying David Luiz, I rate him as the best in his position in the world, we'v already apparently had a 27 million turned down by Benfica so a extra 5 million wouldnt do much harm. We must all remember Roman hasnt spent large sums of money on signings since Scheva (30 million) He has rather pumped money into our youth academy which was the right idea. But we'v just had our most successful season EVER and now ROMAN is craving Champions League so yyyy not open the purse and buy if lucky 3 brazilians (DEF) Luiz (MID) Ramires (ST) Neymar if lucky.

Seriously?

Yes Seriously, have you ever watched him play? He plays in Central Defence for Benfica, Ok he may need to adapt to the Premier league as central defenders have a different role in the Premier league compared to those that play in Portugal. But he is by far the strongest and fastest CB iv seen in ages, in the end this is all my own opinion, but heres the oppinion of a Premier league coach.

Steve Bruce: After their defeat to Benfica 2-0 on Tuesday

'He is a good footballer with pride, fight and quality. This type of footballer is wanted in England because his style is very English.'It doesn't surprise me that Chelsea and Manchester City are interested because David Luiz is a footballer capable of playing for the best teams in the world.

'He is a leader and I believe he would do very well in the Premier League.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1298628/Chelsea-lead-chase-David-Luiz-Jose-Mourinho-gives-up.html#ixzz0v764WF9i