Roman Abramovich Thread

I didn't get your point though.

Basically - a player's transfer fee, on our balance sheets, is spread out across the term of his contract. For example when Fernando Torres was signed for £50m on a 5 year contract we didn't reflect £50m on our profit and loss accounts - we simply spread the costs over his contract, ala 50/5 = £10m. So, instead of a reflecting the payment instantly, in our accounts we are basically spending £10m a year (transfer fee wise) on Torres until his contract finishes.

£36m is plenty to play with basically.

Basically - a player's transfer fee, on our balance sheets, is spread out across the term of his contract. For example when Fernando Torres was signed for £50m on a 5 year contract we didn't reflect £50m on our profit and loss accounts - we simply spread the costs over his contract, ala 50/5 = £10m. So, instead of a reflecting the payment instantly, in our accounts we are basically spending £10m a year (transfer fee wise) on Torres until his contract finishes.

I see you are taking the smart pills already , skipper mate :-)

Ah Yes. That explains plenty of inconsistencies in our financial report this year.

btw, the manager coming in will also warrant a sizeable wage. Imagine we sign 3 players, Schurrle, DLP and ST. Can we afford a costly player on all 3 positions? i,e higher than 25mil on all 3 positions? I don't think so

edit: Mods move this as well

Ah Yes. That explains plenty of inconsistencies in our financial report this year.

btw, the manager coming in will also warrant a sizeable wage. Imagine we sign 3 players, Schurrle, DLP and ST. Can we afford a costly player on all 3 positions? i,e higher than 25mil on all 3 positions? I don't think so

I'm not really a financial expert but I'll try and explain; many people really misunderstand the concept of FFP. One must remember that the likes of Malouda, Benayoun, Hilario, Paulo, and possibly Lampard as it stands are being moved on so there will be additional space in the wage budget. Wages aren't really that big of a concern - if they could potentially shift out Fernando for around £15m-£20m then even better as this would free up a lot in wages as well as practically paying off the rest of his amortisation fee - but I'm not banking on that.

We are officially allowed to go €45m in the minus with FFP because Roman can cover us, that's the maximum he's allowed to cover us for. That works out to around £38m. Let's for arguments sake say we sign Schurrle (£20m), Moutinho (£25m) and Lewandowski (£25m) on 5 year contracts - this rounds up to £70m in transfer fees. 70/5 = £14m in transfer fees for the year - whilst also having freed up initial space in our wage budget with the release of former players, we could realistically afford it. We'd still have a leeway of £24m.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's funny how we keep chirping about players wages and transfer fees, when actually we've got a generous billioniare owner for whom money doesn't matter. #frickingsimple

I don't think many people realise he pays approximately £4,075,000 a week in player wages.

I don't think many people realise he pays approximately £4,075,000 a week in player wages.

And I don't think people realize either that should he decide to leave one day, how much the club will owe him money. That's why some people actually care about how much we spend because the more profit we as a club make the less we owe Roman money. Yes we can spend 150m for two players in the market right now through Roman's money, and we can probably even still by pass FFP rules while doing it, but if he ever decides to pick up and leave, we will be in shitload of trouble.