Roman Abramovich Thread

Agree whole hearted. lack of patience and judgement by an incompetent leader.

No, that ain't a lack of patience.

Well, the following part will just be an assumption as we don't know what RA wants and thinks.

To my mind, Ancelotti was appointed on the purpose to win the Champions League within a short period, with the current squad of back then. I don't think he was hired to build something over a long period. His 3-years contract just proove that, if you ask me. In my honest opinion, had he finished second in a more fashionable way and proved something better in UCl, he will have been given his third year, but his contract wouldn't have been renewed.

But anyway, we know fuck all about what is in Roman's mind. So to draw conclusions is impossible.

And United didn't deserve to win the league, but they did.

The saying goes that the table never lies and if so, then we deserved second place mate :yes:

Yeah, I'm fully agreed with you here. I was only saying that because we were talking about « merit ». At the end of the day, we have what we deserve.

Desailly: Only crazy thing about Roman is his passion for Chelsea

Somewhere on the road that has led Chelsea to search for their seventh manager in eight seasons, scepticism has emerged over the influence of Russian owner Roman Abramovich at Stamford Bridge.

Any individual who bankrolls a team for nigh on £1billion could never be described as having a negative impact but there is a growing sense that the Russian's heavy involvement in team affairs is not always healthy.

Because Abramovich shies away from publicity, there is always speculation, the consensus of which declares that the seemingly abrupt decisions made at Stamford Bridge in the last few months have had impatience at their core.

Rumours persist about Abramovich's desperation to win the Champions League that conjure images of a man used to getting everything stomping petulantly around the boardroom sacking his underlings through frustration.

Marcel Desailly insists such a depiction is inaccurate. The 42-year-old former France international spent six years at Chelsea, the last of which was the first in the Abramovich era.

As captain of the club and an icon of the game following Champions League success with Marseille and AC Milan, which preceded World Cup and European Championship glory at international level, Desailly regularly held counsel with Abramovich as he settled in west London.

Desailly left the club in 2004 but remains in touch and insists that the notion Abramovich would ever do anything detrimental to the club's long-term interests is unfounded.

"People should stop saying Abramovich just splashes the money," Desailly told Standard Sport. "He loves football. I was captain when he was there and I would discuss football with him. He would tell me football is the reason of life.

"There is no business contract that can give him the feeling of being in the semi-final of the Champions League or when one of his players scores in the last minute to make him win the game.

"The feeling he has the day afterwards, money cannot give him that. We would not discuss culture or politics but his English was not very good back then. A translator would be in the room but he was a normal guy. For us, we were amazed to see how straight forward he was.

"He is a supporter and that is why I respect the guy. He has the passion and loves the team. The club is like a wine cellar where he moves the bottles because he has the money. He takes a player like Fernando Torres and he is like a very nice wine. He hopes when he is going to open it, it is going to be very good.

"I was surprised Carlo Ancelotti was sacked but you don't know what is going on. He was having conversations with people at the club and giving too many excuses for what happened last season for a club that really want to win with a very passionate chairman.

"He is not obsessed with the Champions League. He is calm. The people around him are nervous - the marketing side of the club is not as big as it should be for a club like Chelsea. But Roman is cool. He is happy to make decisions and take gambles. There was life after Jose Mourinho, there will be life after Ancelotti."

Dutchman Guus Hiddink is expected to be appointed as manager next week with the task of quenching Abramovich's thirst for success. The portents are promising, given the healthy relationship that exists with both owner and players after a successful three-month spell in which he delivered the FA Cup.

Desailly himself revealed he is taking his coaching badges and would consider a return to Chelsea as coach - but only at youth level.

"I am doing my badges because I feel there is a real potential for me to get a job," he said. "I almost got the Ghana job but there was a delay, some complications.

"But I don't feel I would get the return if I was a coach in the Premier League, I don't feel I would be transmitting anything to the guys - I would rather train kids."

Well said Marcel!:clap:

And if he is serious about training kids then I would love him to do that at Chelsea.

• 3 months later...

Buck offers Abramovich insight

skysports.com

Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck has described Roman Abramovich as a private person who has great passion for football and tremendous knowledge of the game.

Russian billionaire Abramovich became Chelsea owner in 2003 and it is his financial backing that has helped establish the club as one of the most powerful in the world.

He does not attend games as often these days since the birth of his sixth child in 2009, but Buck maintains that his hunger for the game remains as strong as ever.

"I would say that his passion for Chelsea has increased not decreased. His passion for football has increased, not decreased," Buck said in an interview for upcoming book There's a Golden Sky, extracts of which have been published in the Daily Telegraph.

"His knowlege of football has increased exponentially. I'm not talking about what goes at the megastore, I'm talking about football. It would be pretty hard to name a current footballer that he couldn't give you statistics for.

"He doesn't miss a game in the sense that wherever he is in the world he watches the Chelsea game. He calls Eugene Tenenbaum [trusted club director and associate] or whoever after the game and they talk about it. He is very much on top of things."

Buck is one of Abramovich's closest allies and recalls the moment the Russian first considered buying a club, hiring investment bank UBS Warburg to write a feasibility study, which listed a number of possible options.

Notoriety

"It said that Manchester United would be expensive and the fans would go crazy. Aston Villa was for sale but was in Birmingham and the long-term opportunities were limited," he explained.

"Tottenham was on the list along with Chelsea. They were in London; they were in financial trouble. Roman's advisers tried to arrange meetings with Tottenham and Chelsea but for whatever reason, they couldn't set up a meeting with Tottenham, or Tottenham didn't want to meet."

Buck admits that Abramovich had not expected to be at the centre of so much media scrutiny when he first became involved in English football.

He said: "We thought, 'Yeah, it will be a decent story for a couple of weeks and then Roman will go back and have his private life.' Because he is a very private guy. He clearly didn't do things for the notoriety or publicity because that is not him."

Chelsea have been usurped in the big-spending stakes over the past few years by Manchester City and their

owner Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al Nahyan, but Buck has no problem with that.

"That's why we aren't complaining about some of the things City are doing," he said. "We started it after all but, having said that, it is a free world.

"Obviously what we have done has not pleased the fans of West Ham or Manchester United, but they sure have pleased the fans at Chelsea."

Quite interesting quotes about the situation that led to the sale. And I really like those last sentences - it is good we accept that fact we behaved similarly.

Reading that and the Desailly piece, i feel a lot better about the future of our club and more positive. I also get the feeling Andre will be here for the long haul, i mean he woulda known Roman when he was here with Jose so he wouldn't come back if he knew he'd be treated like a cunt. Andre really does seem to have things under his control too. I'm very happy with our current situation and i do trust our Russian to get it right eventually to how he wants it. Our last few managers obviously just werent for him so i suppose it's best to get rid if he's not happy. I believe AVB is the man.

Only hypocrites will cry out against City, Malaga, PSG, Anzi and whatever new teams in the world wants to do the same like Chelsea!

club.

Not that I am complaining but the different between Chelsea and those wannabe teams is that we were a Champions League team even before Roman bought us while these wannabe Chelsea teams have been in the bottom pile