Nathan Aké

James

17 hours ago, Stats said:

Kalas only had 1 good game for us though. That was brilliant but Ake has shown even against Arsenal this season that he is capable of being a potential top CB. He was brilliant at the Emirates despite them losing, he was a close call for MOTM. Also he made a big impact for Bournemouth during his time there.

think he has a europa league medal and league cup medal to his name already!

What a performance form the boy! Against this strong opposition, in 1/2 final on Wembley and first start since long period. What I really like in him is his confidence, he stays strong and plays smart, really like him. We can only be glad that we brought him back and had such an important role in this vital game for Chelsea.

30 minutes ago, manpe said:

What evidence is there to support that? He's played only one (or two?) games in our back 3, so by default there is not enough data to make such claims. On the other hand Azpi-Luiz-GC have played almost every game and got us top. And remember, the only reason Nathan played was because Cahill was sick. Ake played very well, but I'm not surprised to see that he's being heavily overhyped now like always when a youngster has a solid game. We've seen this countless times before, so I'd contain that excitement for now if I were you.

My prediction is that next season he will probably be loaned out again or benched (if he's lucky) and used sparingly in cup games. His main purpose will be filling that HG role once JT and Bego leave. I might sound pessimistic, but when thinking realistically, then I don't see him ever being our starting CB, LWB/LB or CM.. we will upgrade those positions significantly and Ake will be lucky to make the bench imo. I'd love to be proven wrong though, but it is up to Nathan to be better than the options available in the squad and market.

The only evidence I have really is the players' abilities. Ake suits the LCB spot excellently due to his profile as a player imo. Besides, I was mentioning it in regards to the squad we have right now. I don't expect Ake to be a starter next season either.

3 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

The only evidence I have really is the players' abilities. Ake suits the LCB spot excellently due to his profile as a player imo. Besides, I was mentioning it in regards to the squad we have right now. I don't expect Ake to be a starter next season either.

Yes, I understood you said it in regard to our current squad. That last part of my post was aimed at people like the one who is afraid of losing him to Barca, Juve or PSG :doh:

Conte talking about having two players per position the back 3 this season seems dave/zouma-Luiz/JT-Cahill/Ake

With JT going season i think Zouma would be a better fit in the centre leaving dave/christensen-Luiz/Zouma-Cahill/Ake

The 'back-ups' have a lot of potential to be a strong back 3 for many years, problem will be integrating them over the next 1/2 seasons and keeping them all happy

He's a centre back:wub:. Not a left back, not a wing back, not a midfielder. He's proven it. He can become similar to Luiz IMO, and before this game I had little hope for him.
I always said he's not proactive, but reactive. Well, that's what you need in your centre back often.
You don't want a reactive CDM, or a reactive wing back (the best in those positions are proactive with link up play), but you do want a centre back who sees the move a striker wants to make, anticipates it, and reacts. Puyol, Nesta, Terry, Ake - epitome of reactive players. A proactive centre back guesses where the striker will go, and commits, a la Cahill, & Luiz before PSG. That prediction tactic leaves a lot to be desired. But a reactive Ake gives himself time to analyse at which crucial moment a striker has commited - and then adjusts his next move accordingly to react.

A reactive player makes a good poacher too, whereas a proactive striker is likely to cause himself more trouble in the box than he needs to. Hence why Loftus-Cheek works up front; he only has to wait until everyone else has made their move, and then make his (reactive). But if he has to make the first move in midfield (proactive), it looks gangly and awkward. Aguero is reactive. Drogba was proactive. Ronaldo is proactive, and forces situations/goals. Hazard is reactive, to the most subtle body language of whoever he faces.

He's a centre back:wub:. Not a left back, not a wing back, not a midfielder. He's proven it. He can become similar to Luiz IMO, and before this game I had little hope for him.
I always said he's not proactive, but reactive. Well, that's what you need in your centre back often.
You don't want a reactive CDM, or a reactive wing back (the best in those positions are proactive with link up play), but you do want a centre back who sees the move a striker wants to make, anticipates it, and reacts. Puyol, Nesta, Terry, Ake - epitome of reactive players. A proactive centre back guesses where the striker will go, and commits, a la Cahill, & Luiz before PSG. That prediction tactic leaves a lot to be desired. But a reactive Ake gives himself time to analyse at which crucial moment a striker has commited - and then adjusts his next move accordingly to react.
  A reactive player makes a good poacher too, whereas a proactive striker is likely to cause himself more trouble in the box than he needs to. Hence why Loftus-Cheek works up front; he only has to wait until everyone else has made their move, and then make his (reactive). But if he has to make the first move in midfield (proactive), it looks gangly and awkward. Aguero is reactive. Drogba was proactive. Ronaldo is proactive, and forces situations/goals. Hazard is reactive, to the most subtle body language of whoever he faces.

I understand the point you're trying to make, but to call Cahill proactive makes me wonder if you really understand the definitions of it....

9 minutes ago, Miguelito said:

I understand the point you're trying to make, but to call Cahill proactive makes me wonder if you really understand the definitions of it....

Google says 'creating or controlling a situation rather than just responding to it', and Cahill certainly creates more situations than he needs to :ph34r:

9 hours ago, Chelsea? said:

Ummm what? Azpi is our best defender. 

And? He is very limited and can always be a rotation option. If you tell me, that seeing that back 3 at the suppossed potential becoming real and they develop w'd have a phenomenal backline. All able to carry the ball under pressure, all being fantastically capable defensively. It would be criminal to sacrifice that for Azpi starting. I love him to bits, but he has his defficincies.