The electronics thread

CHOULO19

I thought there should be a place for us geeks to share academic advice and news about electronics and electric circuits. Here's a starting question for you:

Does anyone know how dc-to-dc step-up (boost) converters work? I'm using one in a project I'm currently working on, and although I understand what each component in the circuit does, I just don't know the physical principle behind it. Any help?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No clue bro.... on another note, Samsung just launched the Galaxy S3 and its got some great features... wonderin abt the price and release date in the Middle East.

It looks great:

official-image-of-the-samsung-galaxy-s3.jpg?w=262

I've never been one to follow trends, especially with cell phones, but I'm thinking of getting one. It was relseased yesterday in London, not sure when it will hit the middle east though, we're always a few weeks behind the entire world :rolleyes:

I thought there should be a place for us geeks to share academic advice and news about electronics and electric circuits. Here's a starting question for you:

Does anyone know how dc-to-dc step-up (boost) converters work? I'm using one in a project I'm currently working on, and although I understand what each component in the circuit does, I just don't know the physical principle behind it. Any help?

Good idea about the thread.

I dunno if you've found the answer.

I think what happends in when the switch (MOSFET or BJT) is closed DC becomes stored in the inductor. When the switch opens, energy leaves the inductor, adds to the supply voltage (this 'steps up' the voltage) and charges the capacitor. it's similar to an AC transformer, but for DC circuit. Pin=Pout. Therefore, as you are stepping up the voltage the current on the output will decrease.

Lol thats the best answer I could come up with. Never seen one.

Whats your project on?

Good idea about the thread.

I dunno if you've found the answer.

I think what happends in when the switch (MOSFET or BJT) is closed DC becomes stored in the inductor. When the switch opens, energy leaves the inductor, adds to the supply voltage (this 'steps up' the voltage) and charges the capacitor. it's similar to an AC transformer, but for DC circuit. Pin=Pout. Therefore, as you are stepping up the voltage the current on the output will decrease.

Lol thats the best answer I could come up with. Never seen one.

Whats your project on?

Thanks mate, I found a great explanation about it on maxim: http://www.maxim-ic.com/app-notes/index.mvp/id/2031 and you're absolutely right about how it works. It mainly constitutes of some oscillator that switches at a high frequency, an inductor that stores energy and a Schottky diode.

I'm making a solar powered USB cellphone charger. The charger has an embeded battery so it can be used at night as well, and I needed to step-up the panel's voltage to chrge the battery. I tested it yesterday and it worked quite well actually. :yay:

Thanks mate, I found a great explanation about it on maxim: http://www.maxim-ic....dex.mvp/id/2031 and you're absolutely right about how it works. It mainly constitutes of some oscillator that switches at a high frequency, an inductor that stores energy and a Schottky diode.

I'm making a solar powered USB cellphone charger. The charger has an embeded battery so it can be used at night as well, and I needed to step-up the panel's voltage to chrge the battery. I tested it yesterday and it worked quite well actually. :yay:

Ahh nice!

What sort of values are you getting out of the panel and to the battery?

I made a robot last year that determines direction via light using 2 photo-transistors that control 2 little DC motors. (one for left direction, one for right). A button on the front on the bot connected to a capacitor then connected to a relay, so if the bot hit a wall or something the capacitor would charge, initiate the relay and revers the direction of the two motors.

Ahh nice!

What sort of values are you getting out of the panel and to the battery?

It's a small panel (5V 1W) so that the charger is practical and portable. The battery is li 8.2V 1800mAh. I stepped-up the voltage from the panel's 5 V to 11.1 V.

I made a robot last year that determines direction via light using 2 photo-transistors that control 2 little DC motors. (one for left direction, one for right). A button on the front on the bot connected to a capacitor then connected to a relay, so if the bot hit a wall or something the capacitor would charge, initiate the relay and revers the direction of the two motors.

Wow, nice! My project seems pretty silly compared to that :lol:

It's a small panel (5V 1W) so that the charger is practical and portable. The battery is li 8.2V 1800mAh. I stepped-up the voltage from the panel's 5 V to 11.1 V.

Wow, nice! My project seems pretty silly compared to that :lol:

Haha sounds more impressive than it was. Yours is practical. I'd much rather build a practical project than some little robot that hardly worked lol

Take a photo and upload it, would like to see the masterpiece! :D

Haha sounds more impressive than it was. Yours is practical. I'd much rather build a practical project than some little robot that hardly worked lol

Take a photo and upload it, would like to see the masterpiece! :D

Thanks for the encouragement mate. The circuit is still on the test board, I will upload a photo when I implement it on a PCB and put it in an alluminum box. Here's the circuit if you, or anyone else, would like to make one, it's pretty easy and straight forward, but can be useful:

design.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. I always wanted to try that. Were you scared?

Yea, was freaky cause the buzzing of the voltage so loud..then BANG, massive spark on the bottom corner of the cage! Even the sound of the breaker closing to energize the circuit was scary!

Tbh was expecting it to be like

<p>

Guys,I need some advice.In 2 weeks time,I have to choose between the Samsung Galaxy s2 or Iphone 4s.Both are amazing phones indeed but not sure which one to get.The s2 is quite too big for me but its relatively cheaper and is more durable than the 4s.Then the iphone 4s has a smaller screen which is a plus for me and is more user friendly.Also the camera and video recording is said to be much better than the s2.

So,any s2 or 4s users here who would like to give me a more honest review of their smartphone?I am in a dilemma and need to decide quickly.Also which phone has the better audio quality(headphones)?

Guys,I need some advice.In 2 weeks time,I have to choose between the Samsung Galaxy s2 or Iphone 4s.Both are amazing phones indeed but not sure which one to get.The s2 is quite too big for me but its relatively cheaper and is more durable than the 4s.Then the iphone 4s has a smaller screen which is a plus for me and is more user friendly.Also the camera and video recording is said to be much better than the s2.

So,any s2 or 4s users here who would like to give me a more honest review of their smartphone?I am in a dilemma and need to decide quickly.Also which phone has the better audio quality(headphones)?

ive got the s2 best phone i have ever had