test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Spike

Politics & Stuff

Started by Spike,

6,867 posts in this topic

Would love to hear your takes on the phenomenon that is Donald J. Trump. What do you guys think his overarching goal as President is? 

Snap election on the 8th of June.
My view:
A vote for Tory, Ukip or Lib is respect.
A vote for Lab is the daft vote of the century.

3 hours ago, The Skipper said:

Would love to hear your takes on the phenomenon that is Donald J. Trump. What do you guys think his overarching goal as President is? 

Snap election announced.

Nothing to do with 19 police forces announcing they are investigating 29 Tory MPs about Election expenses fraud on the same day, just a coincidence

11Drogba likes this

12 hours ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Snap election announced.

Nothing to do with 19 police forces announcing they are investigating 29 Tory MPs about Election expenses fraud on the same day, just a coincidence

Your prime minister has the power to call an election whenever they want? And people think that is democratic?! :lol:

2 hours ago, CHOULO19 said:

Your prime minister has the power to call an election whenever they want? And people think that is democratic?! :lol:

MPs now have to vote on whether it goes ahead

24 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

MPs now have to vote on whether it goes ahead

How much does it take to pass? Two thirds or just a simple majority? 

37 minutes ago, CHOULO19 said:

How much does it take to pass? Two thirds or just a simple majority? 

2/3rds majority carries it, and basically most are up for it as they don't want to seem not up for a fight   -however the SNP have said they'll abstain, as they don't want to give the tories a mandate for anything

16 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

2/3rds majority carries it, and basically most are up for it as they don't want to seem not up for a fight   -however the SNP have said they'll abstain, as they don't want to give the tories a mandate for anything

I see. That's much better than the PM having the authority to just call it whenever they want.

By why in the world would Labour agree? They're going to get slaughtered! Corbyn has been sooo disappointing as the leader. Absolutely spineless. 

29 minutes ago, CHOULO19 said:

I see. That's much better than the PM having the authority to just call it whenever they want.

By why in the world would Labour agree? They're going to get slaughtered! Corbyn has been sooo disappointing as the leader. Absolutely spineless. 

Election has been sanctioned 522 votes to 13. Well that's politics nowadays, all style and soundbites-no discussion of ideologies.

Those tory MPs under police investigation are not technically sitting MPs in the run up to the election, so it's a clever call by May. If they were prosecuted, (the cops have been dragging their feet over this for a year), we are talking about potentially 29 by elections, which would shred their majority. The resulting election then would have been fought on the back foot by the tories, on one of fraud and corruption.

Lab is on it's way out, to be replaced by the Libs.
Even if they get rid of Jeremy they are too weak to ever pose a threat to the Tories.
The Jeremy character, an eccentric leftist, is of course a certain loser, beyond any rational description.
What happened yesterday is that before the "movement of populations" takes place he talked it over with Theresa and they agreed.
As he is a Brexit collaborator it serves them both.

There is going to be a lot of tactical voting and in some marginals you may even see the Tories voting Labour !
The liberals and of the serious labour voters should put their act together and their objective is to take the teeth out of the Brexit monster, rather than kill it on the 8th of June.

About Europe it's "the Tories gaveth and the Tories taketh away" really. What can we do ? The Brexit monster is nominally stronger by 18% now than it was same time last year. After the referendum the Tories were messaging each other with words like "it's over now boys, now we all stand for Theresa May".

About Theresa's "negotiations" with Europe you can take failure for granted of course.
What this will signify remains to be seen, but she has n't got a chance.
She is always under the delusion however that the Europeans are like African tribes with spears and the redcoats will scare them.

On 4/18/2017 at 10:08 AM, The Skipper said:

I think he wants to put together an administration that he trusts enough so that he doesn't have to do much work. I don't think he realized all that there is to the job of being president.

It seems like he's completely out of his depth and can't get out of his campaign mode. Any time something negative happens to him, he starts pointing fingers at the "fake media" and "well, look how bad Hillary is!". A lot of vague proclamations, but very little substance.

He wants to repeal the Affordable Care Act, but the Republicans are realizing how hard it is to craft a "good" healthcare/health insurance policy. I think this is his number one priority domestically. He talks about getting jobs back, but there are so few jobs available for low-wage industries, it's just not going to happen on a large scale. It's a way to get those people on his side, and IMO, nothing else. The only way to provide low-wage jobs to Americans is if he were to overhaul our infrastructure, which is definitely needed.

Internationally, I have no clue. My guess would be to repair the relationship with Israel after the thing when Obama left office and take a harder stance against unstable Middle Eastern countries (no aid, less leniency, etc.). He ran on a "America first" platform and nothing he's done so far has been contradictory to that, so I don't see many concessions to foreign countries.

The craziness has died down some in the last couple months, but it's still hard to judge exactly what's going to happen.

Fulham Broadway likes this

It's extraordinary how the football community have solved the worldwide problem of immigration that no one else can solve.
The teams take foreign players on the basis of professional achievement.
They sign those players who can do the job for them, (or at least they are trying).
Then the fans are happy with the players.
There used to be some terrace chanting but it's gone. From my Greek team some were chanting against the Piraeus black player Batista in the 90s. The fellow came over to us, beat Dynamo Moscow, Torino and others. One must be crazy to say anything against him again, or for that matter against black players of other teams.
So the football community have solved the problem, without excesses of any kind but the politicians don't even want to look.

TWO TIDBITS OF NEWS

One: Police officer murder on the Champs Elysee in France days before election.

Two: Antifa have been caught selling concealable knives with about a 9cm blade. 

kellzfresh and oldportblue like this

11 hours ago, cosmicway said:

It's extraordinary how the football community have solved the worldwide problem of immigration that no one else can solve.
The teams take foreign players on the basis of professional achievement.
They sign those players who can do the job for them, (or at least they are trying).
Then the fans are happy with the players.
There used to be some terrace chanting but it's gone. From my Greek team some were chanting against the Piraeus black player Batista in the 90s. The fellow came over to us, beat Dynamo Moscow, Torino and others. One must be crazy to say anything against him again, or for that matter against black players of other teams.
So the football community have solved the problem, without excesses of any kind but the politicians don't even want to look.

Sadly, this doesn't apply to everywhere. In a lot of Eastern European countries, black players (and supporters) are still treated like shit. 

3 hours ago, Spike said:

TWO TIDBITS OF NEWS

One: Police officer murder on the Champs Elysee in France days before election.

Two: Antifa have been caught selling concealable knives with about a 9cm blade. 

That knife is freakin cool

19 minutes ago, Spike said:

I thought it was pathetic.

The sentiment is absolutely pathetic. But I think the knife itself (minus the antifa crap on it) is pretty cool. I like knives (from my camping days and time in the kitchen. I don't cut anyone).

Spike likes this