test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Spike

Politics & Stuff

Started by Spike,

6,923 posts in this topic
1 hour ago, Fulham Broadway said:

It's often quoted that cops are just another gang - there's a lot of evidence to back this up -the difference being they're the best organised and best armed

Still, there are people that are great coppers. They seem to be the minority or maybe it's just that a cop doing his job isn't newsworthy?

North Korea apparently fired a missile in the direction of US forces and it failed.

We have to bomb Pyongyang now.

3 hours ago, Spike said:

Still, there are people that are great coppers. They seem to be the minority or maybe it's just that a cop doing his job isn't newsworthy?

I'd say the vast majority of cops are good people that just want to do their jobs properly. There's just so many cameras on them these days that it's easy to find the bad ones acting up, and we only hear about the bad ones because, like you said, good cops don't make for good stories. 

15 minutes ago, Sir Mikel OBE said:

North Korea apparently fired a missile in the direction of US forces and it failed.

From what I read, it was a middle capable of reaching US forces, but since it blew up almost immediately after launch, its hard to say if it was a test launch or something else.

Supposedly a fleet of US ships is on its way to the waters close to the Korean Peninsula, but Trump wants China to convince North Korea to slow its roll.

If anything ends up happening with North Korea, my guess is it'd start with an attack on South Korea, with the US intervening. What I don't get is any military offense from North Korea will turn practically every major national force against them, even China. Unless they plan on dropping bombs on everyone, they won't last long. 

1 hour ago, Sir Mikel OBE said:

Didn't expect that from you.

10 hours ago, kmk108 said:

From what I read, it was a middle capable of reaching US forces, but since it blew up almost immediately after launch, its hard to say if it was a test launch or something else.

Supposedly a fleet of US ships is on its way to the waters close to the Korean Peninsula, but Trump wants China to convince North Korea to slow its roll.

If anything ends up happening with North Korea, my guess is it'd start with an attack on South Korea, with the US intervening. What I don't get is any military offense from North Korea will turn practically every major national force against them, even China. Unless they plan on dropping bombs on everyone, they won't last long. 

It would be a suicide mission on their part.

9 hours ago, Spike said:

Didn't expect that from you.

On a personal level I respect North Korea,  they have shown themselves strong against the mental colonization which plagues their brothers to the south, and even other  nations in their region such as Japan, or Thailand. This said though they cant continue to be allowed to hold the region back.

A moderate military leader, with the backing of China, should be  placed into power  to allow them to grow.

5 hours ago, Sir Mikel OBE said:

It would be a suicide mission on their part.

On a personal level I respect North Korea,  they have shown themselves strong against the mental colonization which plagues their brothers to the south, and even other  nations in their region such as Japan, or Thailand. This said though they cant continue to be allowed to hold the region back.

A moderate military leader, with the backing of China, should be  placed into power  to allow them to grow.

What if it was annexed by South Korea yet retained provincial autonomy? Surely that would be the most ideal?

1 minute ago, Spike said:

What if it was annexed by South Korea yet retained provincial autonomy? Surely that would be the most ideal?

I wouldnt trust South Korea with having any sort of power, even indirectly, of North Korea.Too much bad blood there.

I think for the best China should be making those calls until North Korea is able o make their own decisions.

Just now, Sir Mikel OBE said:

I wouldnt trust South Korea with having any sort of power, even indirectly, of North Korea.Too much bad blood there.

I think for the best China should be making those calls until North Korea is able o make their own decisions.

Really? The people are one in the same though. The only difference is that the North has been brainwashed and crippled. I thought a reunion of Korea would be embraced a la Germany.

Sir Mikel OBE and kmk108 like this

6 minutes ago, Spike said:

Really? The people are one in the same though. The only difference is that the North has been brainwashed and crippled. I thought a reunion of Korea would be embraced a la Germany.

They aren't the same at this point.

There is nearly a century of anger and hatred which has festered to a point where I don't think anybody is comfortable with the south having a major say over them. Technically they've been at war for over half a century, and the identity of both cant be separated from the battle lines drawn.

South Korea, even today, lives with the horrible legacy. They are forced to tolerate foreign forces on their land to "Protect" them from North korea, the people are depressed with the highest rate of suicide on earth, and nobody respects them when they speak out about it If given a choice of having any say over a group of people who have placed them in this predicament then it is expected they will make them pay. It seems much better for a China, someone with an invested interest in a healthy North Korea, having the major say.

9 minutes ago, Sir Mikel OBE said:

They aren't the same at this point.

There is nearly a century of anger and hatred which has festered to a point where I don't think anybody is comfortable with the south having a major say over them. Technically they've been at war for over half a century, and the identity of both cant be separated from the battle lines drawn.

South Korea, even today, lives with the horrible legacy. They are forced to tolerate foreign forces on their land to "Protect" them from North korea, the people are depressed with the highest rate of suicide on earth, and nobody respects them when they speak out about it If given a choice of having any say over a group of people who have placed them in this predicament then it is expected they will make them pay. It seems much better for a China, someone with an invested interest in a healthy North Korea, having the major say.

I thought the suicide was a reflection of Eastern shame culture? I though Korea, China, and Japan all had issues with suicide due to the strenuous social and familial demands placed on young people. I also thought that was another reason why videogames and to otaku culture was so prevalent as a means to escape reality through obsessive fiction?

14 minutes ago, Spike said:

I thought the suicide was a reflection of Eastern shame culture? I though Korea, China, and Japan all had issues with suicide due to the strenuous social and familial demands placed on young people. I also thought that was another reason why videogames and to otaku culture was so prevalent as a means to escape reality through obsessive fiction?

That wouldnt explain explicitly why South Korea was on the top though. Especially considering, as a nation, it has less overt buddhist/Confucius based teachings. In fact thanks to colonization they follow Christianity/western religion second only to Philippines in Asia, and these western regions are more focused on the "Have no gods other than me" thing which monotheistic religions always try to push. I think it has to do with the depression of having an occupied force around. It messes with your mind, especially if you are a man.

2 minutes ago, Sir Mikel OBE said:

That wouldnt explain explicitly why South Korea was on the top though. Especially considering, as a nation, it has less overt buddhist/Confucius based teachings. In fact thanks to colonization they follow Christianity/western religion second only to Philippines in Asia, and these western regions are more focused on the "Have no gods other than me" thing which monotheistic religions always try to push. I think it has to do with the depression of having an occupied force around. It messes with your mind, especially if you are a man.

I didn't think occupation in SK was that apparent though? I thought it was limited to one base, just like how Japan has the Okinawa base (which from what I've been told is hugely different culturally than the mainlands of Japan). I know a few Americans with Korean heritage and they've told me the culture is very superficial and rotten from the inside. I can't speak from my lack of first hand experience but from the outside looking in it seems like SK has an obsession with beauty and social status.

I was reading some shocking stuff on reddit and other websites today. I was unaware that people felt so strongly white male/asian female couples. I had no idea there was such a hatred for me and my missus. Talk about angry racial puritans.

4 hours ago, Spike said:

I didn't think occupation in SK was that apparent though? I thought it was limited to one base, just like how Japan has the Okinawa base (which from what I've been told is hugely different culturally than the mainlands of Japan). I know a few Americans with Korean heritage and they've told me the culture is very superficial and rotten from the inside. I can't speak from my lack of first hand experience but from the outside looking in it seems like SK has an obsession with beauty and social status.

Its very apparent from what I hear, and even stars have spoke out about it. I remember the Gangnam style guy actually made a song about it as a youth. Also Okinawans, for defending their home have to deal with the constant state of occupation for their troubles. I remain clear if it was little Keiko from Tokyo having to deal with Drunken Americans harassing her on her way home from work the way a Naru from Naha then there wouldnt be a single US Sailor in Japan today. The average person doesnt worry about their daughter being harassed, so it remains a non-issue in their eyes. Its not like Okinawans deserve respect to them. Koreans aren't able to separate as such though. Their capital, being so close to the border, means soldiers are embedded right where the average Korean is. They have to live with it.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

I was reading some shocking stuff on reddit and other websites today. I was unaware that people felt so strongly white male/asian female couples. I had no idea there was such a hatred for me and my missus. Talk about angry racial puritans.

That subreddit is huge now. I remember when it was a speck compared to asianmasculinity or Aznidentity, but now it has surpassed them both. Those guys have it hard. Couldnt imagine having an Asian girl tell me she doesnt date Asian guys, and being half white and seeing the dynamic at home.  Some real pain on display in that sub.

Spike likes this

37 minutes ago, Sir Mikel OBE said:

That subreddit is huge now. I remember when it was a speck compared to asianmasculinity or Aznidentity, but now it has surpassed them both. Those guys have it hard. Couldnt imagine having an Asian girl tell me she doesnt date Asian guys, and being half white and seeing the dynamic at home.  Some real pain on display in that sub.

Asian girls don't have to date anyone, just like any other race and gender. You don't get privilege of dating someone because you share race. Being half-white doesn't make a difference because the outward appearance is of an Asian; just because someone doesn't find you attractive isn't cause for openly hating race-mixing couples. Shit, I've been told by white women they don't particularly like white guys, they are allowed to. 

Just a bunch of racists that feel entitled to dating someone because of their ethnicity.

Sir Mikel OBE likes this

8 hours ago, Spike said:

Asian girls don't have to date anyone, just like any other race and gender. You don't get privilege of dating someone because you share race. Being half-white doesn't make a difference because the outward appearance is of an Asian; just because someone doesn't find you attractive isn't cause for openly hating race-mixing couples. Shit, I've been told by white women they don't particularly like white guys, they are allowed to. 

Just a bunch of racists that feel entitled to dating someone because of their ethnicity.

I'm currently in South Korea and have been told by some locals that Korean women dating anybody who isn't Asian is reportedly frowned upon by older members of the community/family members (which is a load of bullshit I feel) and that some Asian men won't go near them if they have been with anybody who isn't Asian (again I reckon that is bullshit and maybe a little bit of confusion in the language barrier we are having to try and overcome with some of the Koreans but anyway how would you know for sure?). If thats what they reckon then its totally different to anything I've ever seen and one of the most ignorant things I have ever heard.

Anyway on to the politics, there is an intense feeling here regarding the North and USA and missiles, some of the guys here I work with are from the States and they very much support Trump but I'm not so sure that going toe to toe with North Korea is a good idea for anybody. But again they shouldn't be able to have the potential to strong arm countries with the possibility that they will fire missiles and nobody wont retaliate. I think if they decide to go toe for toe then its gonna escalate like fuck. 

An interesting quote from Albert Einstein "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

Spike likes this

10 hours ago, Spike said:

I agree, but their issue isnt that its that they want to control asian women, its the fact that these guys are just as white as they are Asian, but society doesnt view them as such. Most guys on that subreddit speak horribly about Asian women, and want to date white women. The main point is that Asian women(100%) pull it on them since in America nobody makes a distinction between Half Asian men and full Asian men. If a woman doesnt want anything to do with Asian men a guy that is half Asian stands no chance as much as a full Asian. The guy who started that subreddit actually mentions how he never saw a guy, that looked like him, with a woman as he grew up and how it made him think he was unworthy of dating and other things. Its a sad thing for people like him. Thats why for sons its very important to have a father figure or representation in the media of cool guys who look like you because it can create a positive self-image in a society which looks to tear you down. Thats also a big argument behind why there needs to be better Asian representation in the media. Especially Asian males.

1 hour ago, OneMoSalah said:

I'm currently in South Korea and have been told by some locals that Korean women dating anybody who isn't Asian is reportedly frowned upon by older members of the community/family members (which is a load of bullshit I feel) and that some Asian men won't go near them if they have been with anybody who isn't Asian (again I reckon that is bullshit and maybe a little bit of confusion in the language barrier we are having to try and overcome with some of the Koreans but anyway how would you know for sure?). If thats what they reckon then its totally different to anything I've ever seen and one of the most ignorant things I have ever heard.

Anyway on to the politics, there is an intense feeling here regarding the North and USA and missiles, some of the guys here I work with are from the States and they very much support Trump but I'm not so sure that going toe to toe with North Korea is a good idea for anybody. But again they shouldn't be able to have the potential to strong arm countries with the possibility that they will fire missiles and nobody wont retaliate. I think if they decide to go toe for toe then its gonna escalate like fuck. 

An interesting quote from Albert Einstein "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

I always thought Koreans were more open to outsiders based on their station in the world, but that does sound like parts of Japan. I know a father is supposed to tell you if you have true intentions if she's been "running around" with westerners. When I met my girlfriends dad he looked at me and exhaled and yelled at me that he was so scared and that he thought I was American. When I confirmed that I was indeed an American he brushed it off as being a formality. When I jokingly asked if his daughter always brought Americans around him, he grew serious, and said he would "Never allow your honor to be shamed like that", meaning as a man he would have to tell me, if he deemed me honorable, if she had been with American men before me. I wouldnt care, but growing up in the west you can usually tell with a Japanese girl. I don't know with Chinese or Korean, but Japanese women usually have behavior patterns from our families that usually hint of where a girl goes exclusively. Although that is not 100%. I've had guys say they got those vibes from my Aunt, and even if her older brother didnt regulate these things I don't think she would ever date someone who wasn't Japanese, or has ever dated someone who isnt Japanese.