Spike

What's happening in Ferguson continues to prove the racism in this "post-racial" society where people go through hurdles to avoid talking about race. Aka the Trayvon Martin murder.

It is actually fascinating on so many levels. It's a whole bunch of big American problems coming together. Systemic racism, the militarization of the police, and the over-criminilization of everything (A woman got arrested for swearing in front of her kids last week but that's nothing compared to the way the illness of drug addiction has been criminilized.)

Have you seen the weapons a small town police force has? It is insane and scary. The pictures of Ferguson show, not a police force, but an army. A good piece...

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2014/08/police_in_ferguson_military_weapons_threaten_protesters.html

but that's nothing compared to the way the illness of drug addiction has been criminilized

Tbf, that's not just an American problem. I once got into a fight with my English teacher for telling her that drug addicts should be accepted into society not thrown in jail.

Tbf, that's not just an American problem. I once got into a fight with my English teacher for telling her that drug addicts should be accepted into society not thrown in jail.

It isn't just an American problem for sure but it is much bigger in the US. Everything is a big business of sorts in the States and the prison system is no different. The incarceration rate in the US is the highest in the world (over 6X that of Lebanon for example) and most of that is bullshit drugs charges..For example, the ACLU in 2010 published a study that showed that "between 2001 and 2010 there were 8.2M arrests for Marijuana, 88% of which were for possession". That is 7.2 MILLION arrests on Marijuana possession charges in a decade. It's a disgrace.

It isn't just an American problem for sure but it is much bigger in the US. Everything is a big business of sorts in the States and the prison system is no different. The incarceration rate in the US is the highest in the world (over 6X that of Lebanon for example) and most of that is bullshit drugs charges..For example, the ACLU in 2010 published a study that showed that "between 2001 and 2010 there were 8.2M arrests for Marijuana, 88% of which were for possession". That is 7.2 MILLION arrests on Marijuana possession charges in a decade. It's a disgrace.

Wow, that's a lot! Even here in Lebanon you'd get a lot of leniency for possession of weed even though it's against the law.

Just saw the news about that guy the cops murdered in Missouri.

The latest the cops are saying is that he was a robbery suspect. Ok I thought, bank robber ? Security van heist ? No, a convenience store. The news had four grainy stills from cctv.Ok held it up with a firearm and escaped with the tills guts I thought ? No apparently he had allegedly grabbed a packet of sweet cigars, and passed it to his mate. Hardened crime, ffs.

It just shows they are using the media, if you dont read the full story to justify shooting an innocent man.

Racist USA in 2014. If youre black, and dont have a high school diploma, youre more likely to be in prison than have a job.

I'm half Indian, half white and I have white privilege through my father being European. While I never would try to talk over black people and their experiences in this racist ass society, being a person of color in America has been a struggle and I think a white person who downplays racism needs to listen the fuck up because of their position in society.

I'm half Indian, half white and I have white privilege through my father being European. While I never would try to talk over black people and their experiences in this racist ass society, being a person of color in America has been a struggle and I think a white person who downplays racism needs to listen the fuck up because of their position in society.

I think this is true of all bigotry. I'll use a very common example, we men have no idea what it is like to be a woman and the difficulties they face in society. As a man, I have never been afraid of going out by myself at night, never thought about covering my drink up in bars, never had disgusting people raping me with their eyes on a daily basis, never thought I wouldn't get promoted because of my sex, Etc.. I am not saying every claim of racism or sexism is automatically true, just that I see way too many people in places of privilege telling people they are being too sensitive or overreacting. BTW, I saw a poll-Republicans think "reverse racism" is a bigger issue than racism" as if 11 white people not getting into the college of their choice is a more egregious injustiice than systemic racism which punishes millions.

I think this is true of all bigotry. I'll use a very common example, we men have no idea what it is like to be a woman and the difficulties they face in society. As a man, I have never been afraid of going out by myself at night, never thought about covering my drink up in bars, never had disgusting people raping me with their eyes on a daily basis, never thought I wouldn't get promoted because of my sex, Etc.. I am not saying every claim of racism or sexism is automatically true, just that I see way too many people in places of privilege telling people they are being too sensitive or overreacting. BTW, I saw a poll-Republicans think "reverse racism" is a bigger issue than racism" as if 11 white people not getting into the college of their choice is a more egregious injustiice than systemic racism which punishes millions.

Very very true. Men must listen to women, cisgender people must listen to Transgender people, and white people must listen to people of color.

Just saw the news about that guy the cops murdered in Missouri.

The latest the cops are saying is that he was a robbery suspect. Ok I thought, bank robber ? Security van heist ? No, a convenience store. The news had four grainy stills from cctv.Ok held it up with a firearm and escaped with the tills guts I thought ? No apparently he had allegedly grabbed a packet of sweet cigars, and passed it to his mate. Hardened crime, ffs.

It just shows they are using the media, if you dont read the full story to justify shooting an innocent man.

Racist USA in 2014. If youre black, and dont have a high school diploma, youre more likely to be in prison than have a job.

The worst part is, the cop who shot him, didn't even know he was a robbery suspect. And he shot 10 times. Excessive, no?

Eh, I'm mexican and where I live, racism is not a big deal at all. I've never experienced it in my life. I'm Mexican, but still.

The worst part is, the cop who shot him, didn't even know he was a robbery suspect. And he shot 10 times. Excessive, no?

Eh, I'm mexican and where I live, racism is not a big deal at all. I've never experienced it in my life. I'm Mexican, but still.

How many times has this happened now ? Always a black bloke getting done.

The cop that shot him didnt even know about the robbery, so a pathetic attempt at smoke and mirrors.

I think there is institutionalised racism towards mexicans and hispanics in LA and Orange County area when I was there. Eg queues outside Home Depot and other stores 5 am in the morning , people desperate for work, food etc nearly all were hispanics. Heard some derogatory comments as well

In Ferguson only three of its 53 police officers are black, but the community is overwhelmingly more black than white.

483 blacks were arrested in town last year but only 36 white. Blacks, who make up less than half of the driving-age population, account for 86 per cent of all traffic stops by police.

.....says it all.

How many times has this happened now ? Always a black bloke getting done.

The cop that shot him didnt even know about the robbery, so a pathetic attempt at smoke and mirrors.

I think there is institutionalised racism towards mexicans and hispanics in LA and Orange County area when I was there. Eg queues outside Home Depot and other stores 5 am in the morning , people desperate for work, food etc nearly all were hispanics. Heard some derogatory comments as well

Trayvon Martin wasn't too long ago. It's just ridiculous. Something needs to be done about the police and their power and what they can do exactly. They have too much power and get away with a lot. Why does a small town's police station have such heavy artillery?

Yea Mexicans are outside of home Depot and other stores, but they need to work and don't have papers. I'm sure there is racism towards us, but not as much as black people.

In Ferguson only three of its 53 police officers are black, but the community is overwhelmingly more black than white.

483 blacks were arrested in town last year but only 36 white. Blacks, who make up less than half of the driving-age population, account for 86 per cent of all traffic stops by police.

.....says it all.

Hey was it you or someone else that said USA was not founded in Christian principles?

Cause I argued that despite the belief that the founding fathers might had, ie illuminati if that's what you believe that it had many Christian themes.

And if you cared to see I suggest you read exodus 21 till exodus 23:9

Some of the laws implemented by Yahweh are used in the United States laws.

If your going to read I suggest reading the NIV translation cause it's modern English not king James version which is so hard to understand due to the outdated language style.

That was only a few of the things that you will see why people see it as a Christian nation.

Furthermore capitalism is founded in the principal of you reap what you saw.

People often said capitalism is American but that foundation is based in Christianity.

Then there's the helping needy, which USA corporation are big on doing, but mainly to get a tax break and look moral social responsible....

Hey was it you or someone else that said USA was not founded in Christian principles?

Cause I argued that despite the belief that the founding fathers might had, ie illuminati if that's what you believe that it had many Christian themes.

And if you cared to see I suggest you read exodus 21 till exodus 23:9

Some of the laws implemented by Yahweh are used in the United States laws.

If your going to read I suggest reading the NIV translation cause it's modern English not king James version which is so hard to understand due to the outdated language style.

That was only a few of the things that you will see why people see it as a Christian nation.

Furthermore capitalism is founded in the principal of you reap what you saw.

People often said capitalism is American but that foundation is based in Christianity.

Then there's the helping needy, which USA corporation are big on doing, but mainly to get a tax break and look moral social responsible....

Wasnt me, but current day US is officially multifaith.

What do you think of wikileaks, and Julian Assange holed up in your embassy ? Will he be able to stay there indefinetly ?