Trying to Overturn the Suspensions

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rules should be changed, but we have no right to ask for it now, when it suits us.

FIFA made the decision to change the yellow card rule to reset it after the semi-finals so no-one would miss the final (or something like that) because they did it before no-one needed to complain.

If UEFA did it before the final it would be seen as playing favourites because they've done it while the competitions been active. They should definitely consider it after this CL season is over, but I don't believe they will/should bend over backwards this seasons.

From BBC website -

BBC Sport's Richard Conway reports: Six Chelsea and Bayern Munich players will miss the Champions League final, because of yellow cards awarded in the second semi-final against Barcelona and Real Madrid respectively. FIFPro, the worldwide union for professional footballers, pleads for acquittal.

"Six Chelsea and Bayern Munich players will, on 19 May, miss the match of their lives. FIFPro therefore proposes that from now on, yellow cards awarded after the first semi-final of the Champions League should be waived."

You just wonder if UEFA will crack if enough pressure is applied?

Bayern have to want this aswell. They hold more power then we do and I'm sure if they supported it UEFA would certainly consider it more. I think Bayern would also be in agreement and want the yellow cards rescinded.

There should be a case for Ivanovich -ok a petulant kick of the penalty spot can be construed as ungentlemanly conduct (the actual rule being applied here).

If the show of disgust were being used to taunt the opposition team, or to slow the game down to your benefit, then maybe it should stand, but it should be overturned because the actual offence that he was fucked off about, was actually Fibreglass pretending to be tripped by Drogba.

Bottom line is though -this comes up at most CL finals , and most Cup Finals come to that, and it wont be overturned

FIFPro in mercy plea to UEFA

skysports.com

FIFPro spokesman Simon Barker said: "Anybody committing a serious offence in the semi-final should be awarded a red card and miss the final.

"But the offences that result in a yellow card do not justify the serious punishment of missing the match of your life.

"For example, Alaba slipped over and gets the ball kicked against his hand - it is not right that such a player should miss the Champions League final because of this.

"Some people say that this will give players the licence to kick all and sundry during the semi-final, but that is utter nonsense.

"Any serious offence will result in a red card and that still means exclusion from the final."

if ivanovic and ramires' suspension is successfully overturned, that surely means bayern's suspensions have to be overturned

i'm not sure i'd like that because bayern's defensive depth isn't as good as ours. at least we still have cahill and luiz

if ivanovic and ramires' suspension is successfully overturned, that surely means bayern's suspensions have to be overturned

i'm not sure i'd like that because bayern's defensive depth isn't as good as ours. at least we still have cahill and luiz

FIFPro want all six yellow cards rescinded. Karl Heinz Rummenigge has also come out and said he thinks the rules need changing and will look to discuss with UEFA.

In regards to which team will benefit more, I think both will benefit greatly and it's difficult to ascertain whether such a move would favour a team. It's more the principle that all six players, not just ours, shouldn't be banned for the final from just yellow cards. They all deserve to play.

Not really sure this would be in our benefit, the only edge we have over bayern is that three of their defenders will be playing out of position.

Agreed. While Ivanovic and Ramires are huge losses for us then so are Alaba, Gustavo and Badstuber for Bayern. They don't even have a proper replacement for Badstuber in central defense and Alaba is quickly turning out to be one of the best left-backs in the world and it's amazing because he's not even a left-back. Now they have to play something like Contento and Tymoschuk as their defenders. Gustavo is easily replaced by playing Kroos deeper in midfield and Müller at CAM but their defense is shit.

Oh how I wish Lahm would be suspended too. He came close to really hitting Marcelo with a yellow card worthy tackle in extra time but unlucky for us he just missed it. :(