Trying to Overturn the Suspensions

I made a post about this as a little bit of a tongue in cheek comment in another thread. However the more I think about it, the more I wonder if it would be possible:

The suspensions for the final due to bookings is a huge sore point for Chelsea fans - particularly given the mammoth efforts that Ramires, Meireles and Ivanovic put in against Barca in the semi. Bayern similarly have three players missing also due to bookings tonight against Madrid.

I just wonder whether Chelsea's board could have a word with Bayern's and come to some sort of agreement which would let all of these players play in the final - it would be of equal benefit to both sides as they would each have three players return.

Now getting UEFA to agree to this would normally be an impossible task. However UEFA have already admitted that the system has flaws within it, and will review the system for next season's competition, with the idea to scrap all yellow card suspensions for the final, only red cards would result in a suspension. And I believe FIFA changed their rules very late on a couple of years ago to scrap yellow card suspensions for the World Cup final. It also benefits UEFA as it allows the two finalists to play much stronger looking sides. So I just wonder whether UEFA would agree to something this season when they are already considering a rule change in future years. Both clubs would equally benefit and the players from both who put their bodies on the line in the semi's would be rewarded with an appearance in the final.

It may also help with a team like Bayern in the final. Alongside Madrid and Barca they probably hold the most clout and influence within UEFA and European football. If they agreed to it and pushed it also I believe UEFA would allow for it.

It's a long shot, but is there any way of making the club aware of such a proposal to put forward to Bayern?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If sane people were running UEFA why not, but they won't do it. Have clubs made similar requests in the past?

But this quote by Heynckes gives hope that the clubs will at least try: “That’s the problem with the rules. Perhaps a few of the rules should be changed so the best players for Chelsea and Bayern could play.’’

Bayern manager - “That’s the problem with the rules. Perhaps a few of the rules should be changed so the best players for Chelsea and Bayern could play.’’

Both clubs should try to work something out with UEFA, you never know they might change the rule.

Whether the suspensions are to Bayern or Chelsea's advantage should not really be the deciding factor in this decision - I don't believe any of these six players have ever been involved in a Champs League final before; it should be the biggest game so far of their careers.

Is there any way of getting the Chelsea board/management to consider such a proposal. It just seems such a real possibility to happen if both clubs were in agreement and went to UEFA as one with such a proposal. Everyone knows the influence Beckanbauer and Rummenigge have!

That's fucked, Ivanovic should be playing. I think the rules should be changed, players shouldn't miss out on the final for showing dissent, especially when its as mild as kicking the spot and not swearing at the ref or whatever. Suspensions in this case should be for purely footballing reasons.

United tried to do the same when Darren Fletcher missed the 2009 final because of a ridiculous yellow card.

Fletcher got a straight red card in the 09 semis.

On the subject, here's what I'm wondering. Had Madrid and Barcelona got to the final BUT Messi and Ronaldo are suspended for it because of 3 YCs, would Platini and UEFA be looking to rescind it so that they can play in the final showpiece??

I think they would..

United tried to do the same when Darren Fletcher missed the 2009 final because of a ridiculous yellow card.

The difference here though is that BOTH teams have the same number of players out through suspension for yellow cards and UEFA have admitted there's a problem with the system.

Do they want two teams given maximum opportunity to be at full strength or do they want six very good players missing the final, who would be pretty much guaranteed starts?

The clubs must try to force through an agreement with UEFA over this.

Mikel agrees:

Mikel John Obi believes Uefa should overturn suspensions on the "devastated" Chelsea players who will miss the Champions League final.

John Terry was sent off against Barcelona after kneeing Alexis Sanchez in the back and will miss the final against Real Madrid or Bayern Munich as a result. He will be joined on the sidelines by Ramires, Branislav Ivanovic and Raul Meireles – all of whom picked up one-match bans after being booked.

Asked if he felt his team-mates have been harshly punished, the Nigeria international said: "Yes, the yellow cards should be cancelled going into a final and Uefa should look into that.

"When you get to the final everyone wants to see the best players and it's a shame that JT, Ivanovic, Meireles and Ramires won't play. The JT one was soft from what I saw and it was a yellow card. I think Sanchez made the most of it.

"Alexis did the same to me as well. He got me yellow carded. There was a little touch and he rolled on the ground 10 times. He definitely made the most of it.

"The four players were devastated in the dressing room. They're happy for the team but are very disappointed to not be in the final. We will go out to win the trophy for them."

Fifa changed their rules for the 2010 World Cup to provide an amnesty after the quarter-finals to ensure no player could miss the final through a booking in the last four. For Uefa to do the same, the Club Competitions Committee would have to propose a rule change, but it would not come in time for this year's final.

Ivanovic said: "We can't talk about the referee's decisions but, to be honest, it feels like someone has taken something from your career.

"My booking? I got it for kicking the penalty spot before the penalty [which Lionel Messi missed]. It was strange. But I have to be positive.

"Nobody believed we'd get through and we did. Yes, Chelsea can win it without us if we go into the game with the mentality we showed here.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/apr/25/john-obi-mikel-uefa-devastated