The European Leagues & Competitions Thread V2

CHOULO19

1 minute ago, Special Juan said:

I didn't celebrate last night for the City for that simple reason, and as time goes on it will get to a point where others in stadiums and at home simply do the same.

It's the worst thing that can happen in football and I stand by my opinion.

That's it. Soon as goal is scored bit in limbo on the wait. 

the goal line technology was an improvement in itself, but it came too many years late, many bullshit calls along the years, Euros, World Cups, cup ties, Champions League, ex. 2005 Garcia ghost goal :middlefinger:, World Cup 2010, Lamps goal against Germany that never was, it would have been 2-2 and England were all over Germany in that period of the game, and many other examples, who knows what could have happened? 

Var is destroying the flow of the game, it takes away the excitement and drama element of the game, yes it makes sure the right calls are made, penalty calls, offsides, red cards, etc but only if used apropriately ffs and so far VAR has been wank lots of times.

1 hour ago, Fulham Broadway said:

So another angle shows Llorentes goal came off his arm. We need VAR to monitor VAR.

This is the worst part of that decision. I am sorry but right now there need to be a better training on VAR. Some of the decision is ridiculous.

There is no point of having us waiting for so long to get a completely wrong result. Even some ot the judgment call is bad but this one is not judgment call, or tight offside call,it was clear. 

1 minute ago, Johnnyeye said:

the goal line technology was an improvement in itself, but it came too many years late, many bullshit calls along the years, Euros, World Cups, cup ties, Champions League, ex. 2005 Garcia ghost goal :middlefinger:, World Cup 2010, Lamps goal against Germany that never was, it would have been 2-2 and England were all over Germany in that period of the game, and many other examples, who knows what could have happened? 

Var is destroying the flow of the game, it takes away the excitement and drama element of the game, yes it makes sure the right calls are made, penalty calls, offsides, red cards, etc but only if used apropriately ffs and so far VAR has been wank lots of times.

It feel like VAR create another problem. Uefa did not train their ref in term of how to use VAR properly and when VAR is used. 

This round Salah should have been red carded against Porto in the 1st leg. Not sure why VAR did not interfere.  Llorente goal was a handball. Again, both incidents were missed by VAR. 

There were so many ref mistakes in past couple years, its crazy. Nearly every second game had some ref making mistake and changing entire game. 

Var had to be implelented. 

Im not a big fan of Var either, but if we have to pick between waiting for a while to see if its goal or fume at all the wrong offside/penalty decisions, I pick VAR. 

I absolutely hated the diving in penalty area which will get done once VAR is fully settled.

VAR right now is still crap in many many decisions but they will eventualy get it right. They will make more specific rules to every situation and train refs to do their job quicker and smoother. 

Its the way to go. 

In few years no one will complain if they had to wait 3 minutes for VAR to check the situation, however we will never forget the bullshit games like the one against barca. 

As for enjoyable football, players fucked it up themselves. They got more focused on diving, time wasting, cheating, scumbag tackling bs instead of playing football. I dislike games ending in their favour because of those tricks way more than waiting for VAR decisions.

21 minutes ago, BlueLyon said:

There were so many ref mistakes in past couple years, its crazy. Nearly every second game had some ref making mistake and changing entire game. 

Var had to be implelented. 

Im not a big fan of Var either, but if we have to pick between waiting for a while to see if its goal or fume at all the wrong offside/penalty decisions, I pick VAR. 

I absolutely hated the diving in penalty area which will get done once VAR is fully settled.

VAR right now is still crap in many many decisions but they will eventualy get it right. They will make more specific rules to every situation and train refs to do their job quicker and smoother. 

Its the way to go. 

In few years no one will complain if they had to wait 3 minutes for VAR to check the situation, however we will never forget the bullshit games like the one against barca. 

As for enjoyable football, players fucked it up themselves. They got more focused on diving, time wasting, cheating, scumbag tackling bs instead of playing football. I dislike games ending in their favour because of those tricks way more than waiting for VAR decisions.

To be fair this is true as well. We have a bunch of ref that are just thrown these tools....They never grew up on this nor train on this. 

It will take a while before we get a generation of refs that will have grown with this and more accustom to this. 

So that is true. 

9 hours ago, Special Juan said:

I wanted City to win, but I tell you what VAR has just taken away every little of joy you can show now, or at least for me anyway.

When Sterling scored, or thought he did, I didn't even jump up, my little lad did, literally everything is under review and now I feel as if everything is going to be ruled out for one reason or another.

The game is well and truly fucked.

are you telling me you were supposed to jump up after a Manchester City goal? I get you wanted Spurs to lose so bad, but jumping up after a City goal is just odd.

2 hours ago, Fulham Broadway said:

So another angle shows Llorentes goal came off his arm. We need VAR to monitor VAR.

That goal was 100% legit. Yes, there was a small deflection in this arm, but anyone who understand about the handball rule will understand that goal was legit.

1 hour ago, Fernando said:

I feel the same VAR is not great. 

I much rather have the extra ref by goalie then VAR. 

Just stop it mate, this argument is completely ridiculous. City was winning with an illegal goal. Thats no funny or cool. Ask Spurs fans what they think about VAR after last night: you think you are done, and suddely VAR saves the day. I understand it sucks to celebrate a goal and minutes later realize the goal was illegal. To other side its amazing to get frustrated after conceding a goal, and moments later discover the goal won't be given because it was illegal. 

1 minute ago, Henrique said:

That goal was 100% legit. Yes, there was a small deflection in this arm, but anyone who understand about the handball rule will understand that goal was legit.

I prefer to recognise the opinion of ex Professional referee Mark Halsey. Thanks, anyway.

11 minutes ago, Henrique said:

What is this rule? Far as I'm concerned the laws of the game state any goal that was a result of a handball, deliberate or not, is disallowed. 

8 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

I prefer to recognise the opinion of ex Professional referee Mark Halsey. Thanks, anyway.

yeah, ex Professional referees are always right...if you want the opinion of an ex Professional referee here is one for you: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6934023/VAR-got-big-calls-spot-Tottenhams-victory-Manchester-City.html

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of appeal to authority, but since you brought it, Mark Halsey was a 3rd rate referee, anyway. The dude doesn't have big european games or big international games in his book.

1 minute ago, Henrique said:

yeah, ex Professional referees are always right...if you want the opinion of an ex Professional referee here is one for you: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6934023/VAR-got-big-calls-spot-Tottenhams-victory-Manchester-City.html

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of appeal to authority, but since you brought it, Mark Halsey was a 3rd rate referee, anyway. The dude doesn't have big european games or big international games in his book.

Last time I looked if the ball goes in off a hand or arm it's disallowed. 

But nice of you to show up - have Chelsea lost again ???

36 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

What is this rule? Far as I'm concerned the laws of the game state any goal that was a result of a handball, deliberate or not, is disallowed. 

The current rule is a bit vague, because its focused on the intent of the player. "Accidental" handball are not considered illegal. Thats why many people think Perisic penalty in WC final was unfair, and that PSG penalty against United was also unfair. From 1st june onwards the rules will be less vague, and the focus won't be the intent of the player, but the outcome. Here is an interesting BBC article about this: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47429316

Here is a quote from Ifab technical director David Elleray:

"We've changed it to say the body has a certain silhouette," said Elleray. "If the arms are extended beyond that silhouette then the body is being made unnaturally bigger, with the purpose of it being a bigger barrier to the opponent or the ball.

"Players should be allowed to have their arms by their side because it's their natural silhouette."

So, under current regulations Llorent goal wasn't a handball, because he had no intention of hitting the ball with his hand, and under new regulations that will be introduced in few months, his goal was as legal as well, because his arm was by his side, it was his "natural silhouette", he wasn't making himself bigger. To other side, under the hew regulations there won't be any doubt about situations as Perisic penalty and United vs PSG penalty, because in those situations the players were with their arms extended beyond their natural silhouette.

So, sorry @Fulham Broadway the ex professional referee duded doesn't understand the rule, because Llorent goal was 100% legit even if indeed there was a small deflection in his right arm. 

55 minutes ago, Henrique said:

are you telling me you were supposed to jump up after a Manchester City goal? I get you wanted Spurs to lose so bad, but jumping up after a City goal is just odd.

Not when they were in my acca to win by two clear goals that cost me £400