The European Leagues & Competitions Thread V2

CHOULO19

39 minutes ago, MrExcalibur100 said:

Messi is scoring goals at a faster rate than Ronaldo (will most likely overtake him soon) ,assists more than Ronaldo (actually has more career assists in fewer games), creates way more chances than Ronaldo (Messi almost always top of the pile for key passes), dribbles much better than Ronaldo (therefore creates spaces for teammates and can destabilize an entire defense on his own). Messi is a far more dangerous offensive weapon and a much better player. Always has been. It's actually a mini travesty that both of these players are put in the same category all the time by some football enthusiasts. Messi's only real competition is Pele and there are legitimate arguments he's beyond the legendary Brazilian as well.

Maradona too.

my top 10 (Mesi would be number one but no WC unless he somehow drags the Argies to one in 2022)

1 Maradona

2 Pele

3 Messi

4 CR7

5 Johan Cruyff

6 Zidane

7 Garrincha

8 Franz Beckenbauer

9 Alfredo Di Stéfano

10 Ferenc Puskas

Marco van Basten would be in there except for his career hindering and then ending injuries

Just now, Vesper said:

tens of millions of Brasilians agree with you

Looks like the superior player when you watch clips of them. That and the fact Garrincha probably won the most difficult WC for Brasil. Comparable to Maradona in 86

For me, 

1. Messi

2. Maradona

3. Di Stefano

4. Garrincha

5. Cristiano Ronaldo 

1 hour ago, MrExcalibur100 said:

Messi is scoring goals at a faster rate than Ronaldo (will most likely overtake him soon) ,assists more than Ronaldo (actually has more career assists in fewer games), creates way more chances than Ronaldo (Messi almost always top of the pile for key passes), dribbles much better than Ronaldo (therefore creates spaces for teammates and can destabilize an entire defense on his own). Messi is a far more dangerous offensive weapon and a much better player. Always has been. It's actually a mini travesty that both of these players are put in the same category all the time by some football enthusiasts. Messi's only real competition is Pele and there are legitimate arguments he's beyond the legendary Brazilian as well.

True. Both could also be slotted in in the same starting XI without much tweaking, which emphasizes your point: very different players who play in different positions and roles.

Difficult to compare anything with Pele as football was basically a different sport back then. Shame Messi hasn't been able to do the same for Argentina though... either hasn't really found himself in a good Argentina side with a good manager, and/or perhaps did not apply himself as much.

@MoroccanBlue Nope, not many agree with that. Garrincha was more entertaining, but Pele was the better, and more influential, player.

25 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

It is virtually split among Brasilians. 

It's really not. I'm brazilian. ;)

You may have that idea from Rio bias, but for the rest of Brazil, no contest.

(And I'm not from Sao Paulo, so definitely don't have a Santos/Pele bias)

To elaborate a bit more, even though I obviously never seen either play, Pele or Garrincha, it's a lifetime hearing about their feats. Some of which, from close ones like when my Dad watched Pele play against his/our Gremio FBPA. Which was echoed by pretty much everybody I've met and what I've heard from talk shows and what not. I've heard Garrincha being pitted "just as good" by some, but never better. My personal feeling/take is that Garrincha wasn't that far behind though. but had huge physical (and mental) issues that cut his career short.

Also, Pele was a far more complete player than you'd hear these days, and what his goal tally would suggest. He was absolutely dominant in midfield, in attack, defending, and he was even the reserve goalie for santos (played goalie when the GK got red-carded and the fucker did not concede against Gremio) :). My dad told me that Pele could be mean too: if hunted during a match, he would sometimes retaliate and injure the players hunting him. He was pretty powerful too, a fantastic athlete, despite his height. The consensus was that Pele was the complete footballer.

33 minutes ago, Robchels said:

It's really not. I'm brazilian. ;)

1,283 goals (give or take a few) is hard to argue with

and those Brasil leagues were MUCH harder back then, as they didnt send every decent player abroad like they do now

1970 Brasil was, IMHO, greatest team ever

that said

France 2022 is first team since then to actually have a truly legit chance to be better (NOT saying it will happen for sure at all)

it is insane the depth and talent they have (and will have as we still have almost 4 years to go as the WC(BAD BAD) is in December 2022 and some new kids may come to the fore)

They also have a potential top 10 (and maybe much higher if he keeps at this level for next 12 years or so and adds more WC's and some CL's) all-time player ever (barring injury) in Mbappe, so they match up there.

They also could have had even MORE  (obviously this has noting to do with 2022, unless Sane bolts)

all these players could have played for France (lets put 2016 as a beginning, when if not for CR7 and a freak overachieving Portugal (Greece 2004 redux) they would have won the European championship)  if they had switched

Leroy Sane (almost switched post 2018 after Löw dropped him from the WC)

Kalidou Koulibaly (a back 3 of Verane, KK, and Umtiti is FREAKISH)

Riyad Mahrez (coming off EPL player of the year season)

Gonzalo Higuaín (coming off that insane 2015-16 Napoli season where he set all-time Serie A goals record)

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (in middle of 80 total goals in 2 seasons)

36 minutes ago, Vesper said:

1,283 goals (give or take a few) is hard to argue with

and those Brasil leagues were MUCH harder back then, as they didnt send every decent player abroad like they do now

1970 Brasil was, IMHO, greatest team ever

that said

France 2022 is first team since then to actually have a truly legit chance to be better (NOT saying it will happen for sure at all)

it is insane the depth and talent they have (and will have as we still have almost 4 years to go as the WC(BAD BAD) is in December 2022 and some new kids may come to the fore)

They also have a potential top 10 (and maybe much higher if he keeps at this level for next 12 years or so and adds more WC's and some CL's) all-time player ever (barring injury) in Mbappe, so they match up there.

They also could have had even MORE  (obviously this has noting to do with 2022, unless Sane bolts)

all these players could have played for France (lets put 2016 as a beginning, when if not for CR7 and a freak overachieving Portugal (Greece 2004 redux) they would have won the European championship)  if they had switched

Leroy Sane (almost switched post 2018 after Löw dropped him from the WC)

Kalidou Koulibaly (a back 3 of Verane, KK, and Umtiti is FREAKISH)

Riyad Mahrez (coming off EPL player of the year season)

Gonzalo Higuaín (coming off that insane 2015-16 Napoli season where he set all-time Serie A goals record)

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (in middle of 80 total goals in 2 seasons)

yup it is a crazy goal tally regardless of opposition: it was different times (a lot more goals then) and some were indeed against pub teams in the Sao Paulo regional comp. However, many were against other strong Brazilian sides (like you said brazil league was strong back then), in WCs or against euro champions when Santos traveled abroad, which they did a lot once they become famous worldwide. Like I said, Pele was also a lot more than the goals, at least from all I've heard. I still don't understand how he scored so many headers (even at WC) at 5 ft 8 in though... 

Recently Mbappe said it best even if being polite, “Even with the goals in playgrounds, goals on the PlayStation, I could never equal 1,250 (sic) goals,” said Mbappe as he met Pele at a sponsors’ event in Paris." :)

France is indeed really talented and Mbappe himself is a top top player. I see a lot of Ronaldo 9 (while still had knees) in him. A bit less short dribbling/skill but same pace and even more power.