The European Leagues & Competitions Thread V2

CHOULO19

1 minute ago, Mana said:

...what? This doesn't make sense.

Again you are attempting to mirror the quality of the PL to the terrible Bundesliga. It's like comparing PL to Czech First League and saying they are the same.

"Exploded onto the scene" is also overstating things. Jovic I've heard of but only because of our "link", but do I rate him? Not yet. What has he done that you think he's going to make it in the PL?

Slavia can beat us on a bad night too if you put it that way.

Bournemouth can narrowly beat Frankfurt. They are a mid-table PL team that can play great football. I even put my money on Wolves. Bundesliga is NOT as good as the PL.

full of non sequiturs and other logical fallacies

1. I (and no one else for that matter) said the Bundesliga was at the same level as the EPL

2. It is ludicrous to infer that the Bundesliga is at the same level as the Cech League (you did do that, just now)

It's like comparing PL to Czech First League and saying they are the same.

3. I will take Frankfurt all day, all night over Bournemouth in a cup tie or any extended series of games

they are a vastly superior team

5 minutes ago, Mana said:

Incorrect.

Yes, Jason implied it by saying they are 5th in the Bundesliga while WE are 6th in the PL. So that is comparing. Otherwise why bring that up? Why does this matter?

No...I did not say that. The point I was saying is that it's silly to compare the PL to the German League. It's nowhere near the same level as the PL, and it's like comparing (yes!) the PL to the Czech League.

Yes, I'll take Frankfurt over Bournemouth too in a cup game. They are easier to beat. Don't understand why you said this though.

Who? Bournemouth? I wouldn't say vastly...

Disagree on everything. I have put up valid enough objections and you saying they don't exist or trying to twist out speaks for itself.

Just now, Mana said:

I didn't say they don't exist. Of course they bloody exist. I just didn't know they existed until today. What, am I suppose to know every single football club off by heart?

I wasnt talking about Frankfurt. I was talking out my positings in reply to your responses. 

Also, if you are unfamiliar with major teams in other leagues that in and of itself underpins a lack of validity in regards to making qualitative value judgements.

1 minute ago, Mana said:

If you weren't talking about Frankfurt, who was the "they" then? If you are talking about me ignoring your posts like they don't exist (which is not true), tell me how am I.

Frankfurt is a "major team?" I strongly disagree. This "major team" has yet to make an appearance in the CL since the 60's! One trophy in 30+ years!

diagram the sentence using basic English syntactical grammar

I have put up valid enough objections and you saying they don't exist or trying to twist out speaks for itself.

my objections is what 'they' refers to

and

I said a major team in their league (certainly atm they qualify as such)

major teams in other leagues 

Got the best draw possible. Should Benfica manage to surprisingly progress, it would be the icing on the cake.

Frankfurt are not a decent side though. They are not a side we should be quavering our boots. I didn't even know this club existed until today.

Again I am not saying we are going to trash this lot, but I expect Chelsea to get through both legs comfortably. If not, then it's another embarrassing moment for the club this season and Sarri has to leave.

They just beat a CL side quite comfortably (putting the actual score to one side), so you need reassess that statement.

However, Chelsea are favourites for a reason.

Just now, Mana said:

I don't know what you're talking about...but I'll take that English is your 2nd language which lead to confusion.

LOLOLOL

I think YOU might be the guilty party in regards to that particular postulation.

I am London born and raised, UK and European university educated with multiple degrees. I can assure you that I have a comprehensive command of the English language, a command that extends to a multiplicity of its idioms and vernaculars due to the multicultural nature of my background, and my varied places of domicile over the years. Your argumentum ad hominem (itself a logical fallacy of the very sort and type that I referenced above in a previous part of this tiresome colloquy) is nothing more than an attempt at deflection and obfuscation, and does not serve you well at all.

Inter really had a bad night. And honestly? If we faced Inter, I expect us to beat Inter so Inter =/= Chelsea.
My point still stands though. If we meet Frankfurt in the semis, Chelsea shouldn't be scared like they are the mighty men. If we lose to them, no one here will be like "We tried our best, we will come back stronger" etc. 99% of us will be pissed off. We are fighting for a CL place next season, we have the EASIEST route to the final...and you lose to Frankfurt? Come on. Sarri has to be sacked at this point if he fails to get top 4 as well.

I did say we are favourites for a reason. We have a CL squad in the EL but underestimating teams is never a good thing to do.

2 minutes ago, Mana said:

Then speak in English like a normal person. "diagram the sentence using basic English syntactical grammar" is not what a normal person in London would say. 

Never said I was normal. Normal is so overrated and utterly tedious. You need to, perhaps, broaden your social horizons. You are the one who brought forth these responses from me by challenging my basic intelligence and communicative skills. If you struggle to understand verbiage above and beyond the quotidian and the simplistic, it is not my problem.

Just now, Mana said:

You don't have to be normal, but saying things like "diagram the sentence using basic English syntactical grammar" is not English as it does not make a lick of sense no matter how "smart" you are.

That is patently ludicrous, every single schoolboy and schoolgirl learns how to diagram sentences (ie subject, predicate, verbs v nouns, etc etc).

1 hour ago, Mana said:

...what? This doesn't make sense.

1 hour ago, Mana said:

Again you are attempting to mirror the quality of the PL to the terrible Bundesliga. It's like comparing PL to Czech First League and saying they are the same.

You said you didn't know Eintracht Frankfurt existed until today. So how do you then know they are not a decent side? What do you based that on? All you've basically done is generalizing that the Bundesliga is poor because of how Bayern and Dortmund have done in the Champions League rather than analyzing each team on their merit. 

4 hours ago, Mana said:

Because I would have known about them if they were decent! It's not like I only know Bayern and Dortmund from the Bundesliga. I know Wolfsburg, Mönchengladbach, Bayer Leverkusen, Werder Bremen and Schalke. Why? Because these clubs of recent times made themselves known to the world via CL and/or winning trophies.

A decent team would have at least made it to the CL in the last 10 years or so. And if they go on to win the EL, they would certainly make a name for themselves.

A strange way of judging teams but each to their own, I guess.

Maybe I played too much footie games in my younger days, but Eintracht Frankfurt has always been a kinda mainstay in Bundersliga. I mean I know they're no world-beaters but they have been there for so long that you at least should have heard of them. :dunno: Anyway, on their day, anybody can beat us, and on our day we can beat anybody. However I like the chances of beating Slavia Prague. :P 

12 hours ago, manpe said:

Maybe I played too much footie games in my younger days, but Eintracht Frankfurt has always been a kinda mainstay in Bundersliga. I mean I know they're no world-beaters but they have been there for so long that you at least should have heard of them. :dunno: Anyway, on their day, anybody can beat us, and on our day we can beat anybody. However I like the chances of beating Slavia Prague. :P 

Not sure if its cause of their top scorer once was with us but it sounds at times they were our supporters here!

You can see just what it means to these lads to play against us. I doubt it brought a recognition in our dressing room.

2 hours ago, Unionjack said:

Not sure if its cause of their top scorer once was with us but it sounds at times they were our supporters here!

You can see just what it means to these lads to play against us. I doubt it brought a recognition in our dressing room.

damn what a reaction from them, its like they just beat us before the tie has even started :D