The European Leagues & Competitions Thread V2

CHOULO19

Hope the first leg of Barca/United is at Old Toilet so some outlandish, ludicrously lucky bullshit doesn't happen in the 96th minute of Fergie time to send them through in their stadium. I'll be hoping Barca can score a couple at United's place and then not be massive chokers like PSG when they return to the Camp Nou.

Interesting ucl draw, not perfect but not bad

Spurs vs city, I don't like team from the same country to face each others but with 4/8 it is quite difficult. Should be fun. But city is arguably the best team in Europe. I don't see spurs going through at all. 

Barca vs united. Two teams with porous defense. With Ole luck anything can happen. 

Ajax vs juve. This is going to be a big test for this young Ajax squad. Juventus is always difficult. 

Pool vs porto. It is very difficult for any team to play against this pool side. You press them, their front 3 is a nightmare to play in transition. You camp in your box. Their two fb are really good providing width. 

Slavia Prague v Chelsea.

Napoli v Arsenal

Arsenal will play at home first now as us and them cannot both play at home at the same time.

In the second semi-final, the winners of Slavia Prague v Chelsea will play...

The winners of Benfica v Eintracht Frankfurt

Couldn't have hand picked a better route to the final. If we play with the same swagger and focus as we did against Kiev we should be comfortably be better than our opponents in the next two rounds.

Hopefully Napoli and Arse take a lot out of each other and hopefully Napoli advances. I really don't want to face Arse in the final and potentially lose to them. 

9 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Couldn't have hand picked a better route to the final. If we play with the same swagger and focus as we did against Kiev we should be comfortably be better than our opponents in the next two rounds.

Hopefully Napoli and Arse take a lot out of each other and hopefully Napoli advances. I really don't want to face Arse in the final and potentially lose to them. 

Nah sod that shit! 

But what do Chelsea need to know about Slavia Prague?

Key player

Miroslav Stoch: Slavia Prague’s top-scorer this season with 13 goals, Stoch used to play for Chelsea from 2006 to 2010. He only made four appearances before joining Fenerbache, where he was until 2017. The Slovakian international, who has played 57 times for his country, won the FIFA Puskas Award in 2012 for best goal and will be a threat up front alongside Milan Skoda for the Czech side.

Europa League record 

Slavia Prague last reached this stage of the competition in 2000, where they lost to fellow quarter-finalists Villarreal. The club’s best European performance was reaching the semi-finals of the UEFA Cup in 1996, where they lost to Bordeaux, and last season they were knocked out of the Europa League in the group stages. They stunned Sevilla in the last-16, winning 6-5 on aggregate, after drama in extra-time.

Domestic form

Slavia Prague are top of the Czech First Division, and are six points clear of second placed Viktoria Plzen, having won all but four of their 24 games. They’re also in the quarter-finals of the Czech Cup, playing MFK Karvina on April 2.

1 minute ago, Mana said:

If Bayern and Dortmund, the best two teams in the Bundesliga got smashed in the CL by EPL teams I don’t see why we would have any trouble.

You're comparing us to Spurs AND Liverpool?

Just now, Mana said:

Point is that the quality of the Bundesliga isn’t all that great. The fact that I’m worried more about Benfica speaks volumes.

We probably won’t smash Frankfurt but we should beat them comfortably if we ever meet.

Well, it's not a fact. It's just you.

Just now, Mana said:

Lol, are we that awful that we can’t beat a German side now?

I expect Chelsea to beat them. If not, Sarri has to go.

I'm surprised you're feeling all confident considering we've struggled way more often than not whenever we come up against half decent sides this season.

2 minutes ago, Mana said:

Frankfurt are not a decent side though. They are not a side we should be quavering our boots. I didn't even know this club existed until today.

ermm, Jovic and Haller

2 of the most talked about striker targets for us

Ante Rebic, a great combo winger/AMF/2nd striker who was a star for Croatia in the world Cup (ask Caballero)

Evan N'Dicka, a superb young 19yo CB who has exploded onto the scene (would LOVE to grab him whilst still somewhat affordable)

etc etc

to call them a not decent side is way overstating things

any of the teams left, save Slavia, is more than capable of smashing us on a bad night

or have you forgotten Bournemouth so soon?

Just now, Mana said:

Frankfurt are not a decent side though. They are not a side we should be quavering our boots. I didn't even know this club existed until today.

How can you say they're not a decent side if you didn't know they existed before today? 

They are 5th in the Bundesliga (we're 6th in ours!), have prolific forwards (1 of whom we've been linked with) and have lost just 3 of their last 29 matches in all competitions! 

Not saying they're unbeatable but they are a lot better than you think.