The European Leagues & Competitions Thread V2

CHOULO19

This Atletico side are so annoying to play against, aren't they? You can dominate them all game but they'll somehow fluke their way to a result, despite their tendency to defend solidly. 
They've been doing it for a number of years now, so it's more of an art than anything. Having Oblak bail them out helps as well

2 minutes ago, LAM09 said:
4 minutes ago, Jason said:
This Atletico side are so annoying to play against, aren't they? You can dominate them all game but they'll somehow fluke their way to a result, despite their tendency to defend solidly. 

They've been doing it for a number of years now, so it's more of an art than anything. Having Oblak bail them out helps as well

I know but it's still annoying and we paid dearly for that in the Champions League group stage!

I know but it's still annoying and we paid dearly for that in the Champions League group stage!

We remain only one of two teams to beat them at home this season, so our choke expert upfront cost us.

Story of our season for the most part

3 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

We remain the only one of two teams to beat them at home this season, so our choke expert upfront cost us.

Story of our season for the most part

I know bashing Morata is the trend these days (which is kinda funny here because it was he who scored the crucial equalizer in that win in Madrid) but he wasn't the only one who missed chances on that night at the Bridge. We fucked up on that one corner and only scored via a deflection.

I know bashing Morata is the trend these days (which is kinda funny here because it was he who scored the crucial equalizer in that win in Madrid) but he wasn't the only one who missed chances on that night at the Bridge. We fucked up on that one corner and only scored via a deflection.

Not bashing him, just expect a £70m~ CF to score more 1v1s than he misses. Lets not forget the person that got the winner that night probably won't play for us again.

I know Christensen also missed a relatively easy chance, but he's a defender for a reason and my expectations are different. Football is all about taking chances when they arise and we haven't multiple times this season.

2 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

Not bashing him, just expect a £70m~ CF to score more 1v1s than he misses. Lets not forget the person that got the winner that night probably won't play for us again.

But that's not the point here, is it?

4 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

I know Christensen also missed a relatively easy chance, but he's a defender for a reason.

Pretty sure Hazard, Pedro, Willian all had chances too and none converted them.

Pretty sure Hazard, Pedro, Willian all had chances too and none converted them.

Your point was irrelevant as it was in reference to a difference game, so I thought I'd make one as well.

Football is all about taking chances when they arise and we haven't multiple times this season.

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

Courtois for Oblak straight swap, please. Tibo gets his wish of returning to Madrid, we get the superior keeper who won't blabber in the press constantly.

Not to dismiss Oblak's quality but wonder how much of his excellence is down to having a solid defence in front of him. I mean, we saw the same thing when Courtois was with Atletico - had a solid defensive wall in front of him to protect him and was capable of making saves when called upon. But the minute you put him in front of a less solid defence, he suddenly looks incapable of making saves on a consistent basis. 

53 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

Your point was irrelevant as it was in reference to a difference game, so I thought I'd make one as well.

Don't want to get picky and all but I was speaking about the home game against Atletico to begin with before you suddenly going in different directions. But definitely agree on the larger point - we're hopeless at converting chances!

Don't want to get picky and all but I was speaking about the home game against Atletico to begin with before you suddenly going in different directions. But definitely agree on the larger point - we're hopeless at converting chances!
You mentioned the group stages, so I just pointed out that we got the better of this usually stubborn team. Only ourselves to blame in the home game and winning it would have potentially given us a quarter final berth but nothing else.

We would have fallen against Barca a stage later

Oblak was simply immense, that save from Ramsey's header at the end tough, Oblak grew wings right there, it was sick. I felt the ref was a cunt to Atletico, sending Vrsaljko off just after 10 mins, and also Arse players diving everywhere to try and influence the ref, altough Arsenal had the much better chance, in the end it came back to bite them in the ass when a fk was not given to Arsenal before Atletico's equalizer, thats all they needed to score an away goal.  the Marseille gk made some sick saves against Salzburg to keep a clean sheet, immense too, still all to play for in the 2nd leg

While Real Madrid can raise their game every now and again and are always a huge threat when their attacking players get the ball, they're being ripped apart by Bayern who simply look the better team. Bayern look as though they could score with every attack. I know Real are deploying a winger at RB but it's still been effortless for Bayern.

For me, Liverpool's attacking and pressing would cause huge problems for Real Madrid. Bayern would be the much tougher matchup which is why I want them to win here.