The European Leagues & Competitions Thread V2

CHOULO19

3 hours ago, different level said:

Quite harsh. But then again he was harshly sacked by Real Madrid... and by us as well.

Seems to be a pattern emerging, only for so long can we say it's harsh if it keeps happening.

I think Carlo getting sacked at Bayern has been coming. He's never really set them up to the standards they showed domestically under Pep and has failed to find an alternative to reinforce the team and try to move away from relying on the use of Ribery and Robben who are both getting on. Sure losing Alonso and Lahm can't of helped either, coupled together with the sale/loan of Douglas Costa - another strange one - and failure to improve the current players he had, if it didn't happen now, it would of at the end of the season.

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Pizy said:

Trying to think of a club in the CL that can really give City problems. Think it'll have to be a team that can out Pep, Pep and keep the ball from them. Barca or PSG, maybe. In this form they may be favorites.

There was a reason that City went behind Pep and it is paying dividends. 

The only thing that really makes me jealous about City is the fact that every single player in their XI is not only good on the ball but also extremely comfortable when being pressed. That's the biggest difference I see between them and us. Their attacking players can either resist the press with great close control or by playing a one touch pass. They're so much better than us in that regard that's it's depressing.

When you look on an individual player basis I wouldn't say they're miles and miles better than ours. The likes of Sané, Sterling, Jesus, Fernandinho, etc are all good players I wouldn't consider any of them top class. Their tactics from Pep and their system is just outstanding. They only really have Silva and KDB (+ Aguero when he actually plays) who are truly world class. And just think about that...they can blow away the in form side in Europe without the their talismanic, world class striker. Bernardo Silva, Gündogan and Yaya can't even get in the side. We lose our striker and get outplayed by Palace and look terrible.

This sort of progress from year 1 under Guardiola to year 2 is what should've happened with us and Conte. Unfortunately, their ownership and board made massively ambitious moves in the transfer window whilst ours were content to tread water.

What's scarier is that City still want Sanchez and who knows who else.

3 minutes ago, Pizy said:

The only thing that really makes me jealous about City is the fact that every single player in their XI is not only good on the ball but also extremely comfortable when being pressed. That's the biggest difference I see between them and us. Their attacking players can either resist the press with great close control or by playing a one touch pass. They're so much better than us in that regard that's it's depressing.

When you look on an individual player basis I wouldn't say they're miles and miles better than ours. The likes of Sané, Sterling, Jesus, Fernandinho, etc are all good players I wouldn't consider any of them top class. Their tactics from Pep and their system is just outstanding. They only really have Silva and KDB (+ Aguero when he actually plays) who are truly world class. And just think about that...they can blow away the in form side in Europe without the their talismanic, world class striker. Bernardo Silva, Gündogan and Yaya can't even get in the side. We lose our striker and get outplayed by Palace and look terrible.

This sort of progress from year 1 under Guardiola to year 2 is what should've happened with us and Conte. Unfortunately, their ownership and board made massively ambitious moves in the transfer window whilst ours were content to tread water.

What's scarier is that City still want Sanchez and who knows who else.

Gabriel Jesus is better than any of our attacking players not named Hazard or Morata. And so is Bernado Silva and he's a squad player. They're miles better than us on individual quality. You can't discuss comfort in possession and resistance to press without aknowledging the stark difference in quality between both sides. All these things flow from each other, and ultimately revolve around technical quality. They aren't isolated qualities.