The European Leagues & Competitions Thread V2

CHOULO19

25 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Wanted Dortmund to win. Can't stand the tax avoiding entitled 'Principality'. (Mainly for when they knocked us out in 2004 :D)

that Monaco team was a joke in the final, shame Chelsea were knocked out by that lot, because i think Chelsea could have beaten that Porto team, Mourinho and Porto had it easy, most one sided final ive ever seen, but everything happens for a reason right? if Mourinho doesn´t win Champions League with Porto then he doesnt come to Chelsea and make history, etc. the rest is history ;)

15 minutes ago, Johnnyeye said:

that Monaco team was a joke in the final, shame Chelsea were knocked out by that lot, because i think Chelsea could have beaten that Porto team, Mourinho and Porto had it easy, most one sided final ive ever seen, but everything happens for a reason right? if Mourinho doesn´t win Champions League with Porto then he doesnt come to Chelsea and make history, etc. the rest is history ;)

It was typical Chels, missing chances left and right, Jimmy H and Joe Cole spring to mind. But yeah Jose was top of the shopping list that year

5 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

It was typical Chels, missing chances left and right, Jimmy H and Joe Cole spring to mind. But yeah Jose was top of the shopping list that year

yup, Chelsea were too wasteful in front of goal and also sloppy at the back, Jose changed all that the season after ;)

2 minutes ago, Johnnyeye said:

yup, Chelsea were too wasteful in front of goal and also sloppy at the back, Jose changed all that the season after ;)

That first leg Ranieri did some crazy things eg replaced Melchiot with Hasselbaink at full back :(. And then what a disciplined transformation the following season. It makes you think Jose has lost his way somewhat now. (aside from beating us last Sunday :D)

23 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

That first leg Ranieri did some crazy things eg replaced Melchiot with Hasselbaink at full back :(. And then what a disciplined transformation the following season. It makes you think Jose has lost his way somewhat now. (aside from beating us last Sunday :D)

thats the tinkerman for you :( , i feel you, that loss at OT still hurts :rant: , Jose´s style of play and tactics were great back then, his teams bullied the opposition in midfield and defense, while having strong and deadly stikers up front: Drogba, McCarthy, Milito, Ronaldo, etc but the game has changed a lot since then, its much more technical than physical / agressive these days and you can see what he´s trying to do with Pogba, just like when he had Essien, Makelele, and co. Nowadays players are more required to have that mix of physical and technical play, before you had the likes of Keane, Gattuso, Makelele, etc who would do all the dirty work in midfield and let the likes of Pirlo, Kaka, Scholes, Lampard, etc. shine more, now you have more complete players in midfield with ability on the ball and also that tackling ability, its like a requirement these days so you can have more control in midfield. am i making any sense ? Cheers

Dortmund fans don't seem too disappointed. First, we knew the team wasn't going to be good enough to actually win the Champions League (there's no real sense of "yeah but what if?" with this team). The team needs to focus on securing a Champions League spot next season. And, most importantly, it's just good that everyone's at least alive.

2 hours ago, kmk108 said:

Dortmund fans don't seem too disappointed. First, we knew the team wasn't going to be good enough to actually win the Champions League (there's no real sense of "yeah but what if?" with this team). The team needs to focus on securing a Champions League spot next season. And, most importantly, it's just good that everyone's at least alive.

Some of the line up choices from Tuchel were questionable. They backfired within minutes. 

3 hours ago, kmk108 said:

I think last week incident change most dormund fans perspective

Great night for me, backed Monaco to win 3-1 and Mbappe first goal scorer. Mbappe was magical to watch, his holding of runs and turn of pace was out of this world. He ran the channels insanely well and ran the Dortmund back line a merry dance all night.

This Monaco side are not afraid to attack, in fact it's all they know which is great to watch. Mendy was another player who was excellent last night.

13 hours ago, Johnnyeye said:

thats the tinkerman for you :( , i feel you, that loss at OT still hurts :rant: , Jose´s style of play and tactics were great back then, his teams bullied the opposition in midfield and defense, while having strong and deadly stikers up front: Drogba, McCarthy, Milito, Ronaldo, etc but the game has changed a lot since then, its much more technical than physical / agressive these days and you can see what he´s trying to do with Pogba, just like when he had Essien, Makelele, and co. Nowadays players are more required to have that mix of physical and technical play, before you had the likes of Keane, Gattuso, Makelele, etc who would do all the dirty work in midfield and let the likes of Pirlo, Kaka, Scholes, Lampard, etc. shine more, now you have more complete players in midfield with ability on the ball and also that tackling ability, its like a requirement these days so you can have more control in midfield. am i making any sense ? Cheers

Yeah that makes perfect sense Johnny. Gattuso ! the beast. We have that midfield mix of technical and physical now with Cesc and Kante. Back to that 2004 team the defence was paramount in the success Cech, Ferreira, JT, Carvalho and Gallas -the midfield -as you say a mix of physical and technical in terms of fat Frank, Maka, Essien and the underated Tiago. The wings run by speedy Duff and brilliant but legs made of ice Robben. cutting inside to allow the fullbacks to overlap. and up front Gudjohnsen and deadly Drogba. I don't think I was ever more in awe of my team apart from the 1970 lineup. Mind you they aint bad now :cig:

13 hours ago, 11Drogba said:

Amazing, he surprises the world again with his talent. Hazard can only dream of losing the ball 38 times in a game, he has a long way to go before reaching Neymar the GOAT level :worship:

EDIT: Even better - Neymar surrendered possession a staggering 46 times against Juventus... that's more than any player in the Champions League this season

Fuck Hazard when you have a turnover king like Neymar who can make a fancy pass once in a while that Eden supposedly can't. :clown:

18 minutes ago, manpe said:

Amazing, he surprises the world again with his talent. Hazard can only dream of losing the ball 38 times in a game, he has a long way to go before reaching Neymar the GOAT level :worship:

EDIT: Even better - Neymar surrendered possession a staggering 46 times against Juventus... that's more than any player in the Champions League this season

Fuck Hazard when you have a turnover king like Neymar who can make a fancy pass once in a while that Eden supposedly can't. :clown:

Neymar's better than Hazard.

2 hours ago, manpe said:

It baffles my mind why one has to always be denigrated in order to praise the other. Neymar and Hazard are both great players and there's no need to create a rivalry where it doesnt exist.

But to your point, the same way Neymar was shit yesterday, he was spectacular against PSG. So it's easy to pick and choose which games to rate him by.

When taking everything in consideration, I honestly think Neymar is better than Hazard. He is a more complete player and more of a threat because he dribles better. However, that doesnt mean I want him at Chelsea and not Eden.

12 minutes ago, Rmpr said:

But to your point, the same way Neymar was shit yesterday, he was spectacular against PSG. So it's easy to pick and choose which games to rate him by.

I know. I just came here to troll those who jumped on Neymar's dick after that PSG game while criticizing Hazard. So I'm not even interested in having a debate on who's "better", I'm just interested in sticking those damning stats in those peoples' faces.

Bonus: He gave the ball away 41 times against the mighty Borussia Monchengladbach in the group stage and 38 times in the first leg against PSG. It cannot be confirmed whether his profligacy is an all-time record but it is the worst performance in terms of keeping the ball since Hulk in 2014, when the Zenit forward lost possession 41 times. Hulk > Neymar. :lol: