The European Leagues & Competitions Thread V2

CHOULO19

22 hours ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Fuck me never seen a game like that. Not since Chelsea v Bolton 1978 anyway

I was at the game FB one of only five wins all season and I was at two of them the other Birmingham at home. Surely the lowest point in our history that season. Big fat Sam scoring the own goal for 4-3:D

15 minutes ago, Iggy Doonican said:

I was at the game FB one of only five wins all season and I was at two of them the other Birmingham at home. Surely the lowest point in our history that season. Big fat Sam scoring the own goal for 4-3:D

Kudos Iggy for that -you saw history. Clive Walker was a bit of an athlete, allegedly able to do the 100m just over 10 seconds in football boots

Well done Barcelona.  I enjoyed that game. I like Barcelona(prefer Atletico but I dislike Real) and never like PSG(after our games with them i hate them) so  when they scored that last goal i smile and wait for that shitstorm which come after match. That was sweet.

1 hour ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Kudos Iggy for that -you saw history. Clive Walker was a bit of an athlete, allegedly able to do the 100m just over 10 seconds in football boots

My abiding memory of him is that geezer trying to push that pie into his face at the Sunderland milk cup game. Always liked him and if he didn't score that goal against Bolton in 83 well it doesn't bare thinking about it.

15 hours ago, Johnnyeye said:

after last night's comeback, Barca will feel its their year to win the Champions League again, we'll see, as long as Real Madrid dont win it again.

I don't want either of the 2 to win. Seriously, fuck them both. Horrible teams who think they're the inventors of football. 

10 hours ago, BoyBlue96 said:

I don't want either of the 2 to win. Seriously, fuck them both. Horrible teams who think they're the inventors of football. 

I feel you, to be honest i want Atletico to finally win it because they were so unlucky against Real Madrid in both finals they lost, they deserve it. I hate Barca and Real, Bayern too

23 hours ago, Last Sicarius said:

Well done Barcelona.  I enjoyed that game. I like Barcelona(prefer Atletico but I dislike Real) and never like PSG(after our games with them i hate them) so  when they scored that last goal i smile and wait for that shitstorm which come after match. That was sweet.

Were you not a Chelsea supporter in 2009? Honest question, because for me at least, PSG didn't steal a tie from us like Barca did in 2009. PSG deserved to win their ties against us.

I absolutely detested Barcelona after 2009. I would have chosen anyone over them. It's declined somewhat after 2012, but who knows what could have been if we'd have won that tie. We could have 2 Champions League titles now for all I know.

1 hour ago, kmk108 said:

We could have 2 Champions League titles now for all I know.

But for one little word it would be three or four: -

Despite the first leg debacle, we should have beaten Monaco in '04, and would have done had their momentum changing goal just before halftime at Stamford Bridge been disallowed as it should.

United started well in Moscow but over the whole piece we were the better side and deserved to win. Penalties should not have been needed.

Lets not talk about Ovrebo but we were better than we had been the year before and United were worse. The final held no terrors.

That little word is "if" of course. If Claudio had not lost it in Monaco. If the officials had spotted the foul by Morrientes, instead of waiting for him to admit it after the game. If JT hadn't slipped. If Didier hadn't been baited into getting himself sent off, JT wouldn't have been taking that pen anyway. If Ovrebo had actually passed his refereeing exam.

If.

47 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Despite the first leg debacle, we should have beaten Monaco in '04, and would have done had their momentum changing goal just before halftime at Stamford Bridge been disallowed as it should.

United started well in Moscow but over the whole piece we were the better side and deserved to win. Penalties should not have been needed.

Lets not talk about Ovrebo but we were better than we had been the year before and United were worse. The final held no terrors.

That little word is "if" of course. If Claudio had not lost it in Monaco. If the officials had spotted the foul by Morrientes, instead of waiting for him to admit it after the game. If JT hadn't slipped. If Didier hadn't been baited into getting himself sent off, JT wouldn't have been taking that pen anyway. If Ovrebo had actually passed his refereeing exam.

If.

Should I point out how Chelsea should score more in the first leg against Liverpool in 2006-07 semi-final? What if Robben wasn't injured in 2004-2005 semi-finals? What if Gudjohnsen scores at the end of that second leg from glorious chance? And then there are huge official faults in 2005-06, 2008-09, 2009-10, 2010-11. That one solitary trophy is not enough. Actually, only post 2012 campaigns don't hold many regrets and referees mistakes. Which makes me think, would we be so competitive each and every year had Chelsea won the trophy let's say in 2005? 

2 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

If.

We never had much luck in CL except for 2012 where we got it back for everything before. 

Sure we could have at least 2 CLs, but I have absolutely love what we achieved in past 15 years and have no regrets. If we won in 2005, then maybe Lamps or Drogba or Terry would move elsewhere sooner. Who knows. 

We created brilliant era since 2000s and every non biased football fan knows it which is most important. Im sure there will be opportunities to make our trophy cabinet bigger.

4 hours ago, kmk108 said:

Were you not a Chelsea supporter in 2009? Honest question, because for me at least, PSG didn't steal a tie from us like Barca did in 2009. PSG deserved to win their ties against us.

I absolutely detested Barcelona after 2009. I would have chosen anyone over them. It's declined somewhat after 2012, but who knows what could have been if we'd have won that tie. We could have 2 Champions League titles now for all I know.

Barca also lost a man because Anelka slipped. Infact we were probably robbed worse vs Inter year after.

5 hours ago, Tomo said:

Barca also lost a man because Anelka slipped. Infact we were probably robbed worse vs Inter year after.

That man should not have been on the pitch when Nicolas slipped. He should already have conceded a penalty, and been dismissed, for denying a clear goal scoring opportunity.

7 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

We never had much luck in CL except for 2012 where we got it back for everything before. 

Sure we could have at least 2 CLs, but I have absolutely love what we achieved in past 15 years and have no regrets. If we won in 2005, then maybe Lamps or Drogba or Terry would move elsewhere sooner. Who knows. 

We created brilliant era since 2000s and every non biased football fan knows it which is most important. Im sure there will be opportunities to make our trophy cabinet bigger.

Excellent post, for me every year UCL is a bonus, the league is far more important. You need plenty of luck to win knock out tournament. Just do well and don't lose in dumb way then I am happy. 

I saw plenty of posts saying we got bad referee decision in UCL every time but hey nobody mentioned 2 years ago we got favorable against PSG yet we lost.

The past couple winners may or may not be the deserved winner but it is hard to deny the fact that Bayern,Barca and RM have been the best team in Europes for a couple years now.

On 3/11/2017 at 6:57 AM, OhForAGreavsie said:

That man should not have been on the pitch when Nicolas slipped. He should already have conceded a penalty, and been dismissed, for denying a clear goal scoring opportunity.

Not disputing that, more to the point he was just a shocking ref out of his depth, he refed the Fiorentina vs Bayern game the following season and was just as bad if not worse.

Just now, Tomo said:

Not disputing that, more to the point he was just a shocking ref out of his depth, he refed the Fiorentina vs Bayern game the following season and was just as bad if not worse.

I didn't remember that. (If I ever knew it in the first place.) I thought Ovrebo had retired after that night at Stamford Bridge. I agree with you though that it was incompetence mixed with over excitement, rather than conspiracy.