The European Leagues & Competitions Thread V2

CHOULO19

1 hour ago, Azpinator said:

Yes, call me crazy if you want. Our 6th place finish had a lot to do with AVB problems. The strength of our spine (Cech, Terry, Lamps and Drogba) outweighs the cohesiveness of the current Atletico side.

That season is the only arguable one form the ones I've mentioned

It's hard not to think of the 4-1 in the Super Cup when comparing the 2012 side with Atletico. Anyway I agree that in that in terms of individual ability, Chelsea sides of the past have been much better than this Atletico. In fact I think purely in terms of the players they have, Atletico are completely achieving. They have some good players for sure, but their greatest strength IMO is their tactical flexibility and aptitude. Perhaps what is most striking is their ability to consistently alternate, even against the best in the world, from an incredibly high line to an incredibly deep line with relative easy, yet incredible competence. Whilst we were also a good defensive and counter-attacking side, I don't think there was anything particularly fascinating about it. It was just a team with a lot of good players forged to play in a traditionally conservative style and the collective was good but not much more than the sum of the individual parts. This is the difference and maybe why Atletico receive a lot more praise (less criticism) than we did even though they appear to play in a similarly 'negative' way, albeit in a system that is less reliant on individualism from my perspective at least. A duel between them and a peak Chelsea side would be very interesting but a lot less skewed in our favour than you might think.

7 hours ago, Essien19 said:

Bloody hope so, i for one don't want to find out what the De Bruyne crew would come up with if City made it to the final, god help us, please!

Lol, even if KDB not playing at all too in both legs, but City made it, I'm sure someone will take his moment to crying out loud in his thread.

7 hours ago, Essien19 said:

What is up with Turan these days?
Looks like a big flop, Chelsea thought of buying him in the summer according to reports but didn't, guess what, it turned out to be the right call. SURPRISE :)
Now it's a difficult one, how can i pin it on Mourinho so he looks bad? Guess i'm not so smart after all. :ph34r:

Yes, he rather thought of buying Pedro. THAT was a master stroke, was not it?

Also, you do realise that Arda is playing completely out of position? He is a winger/attacking midfielder being deployed as a CM as a iniesta/rakitic replacement. Moreover, Arda is someone who has always relied on his dribbling ability and pulling defences out of position rather than actually splitting a defence open from the center of the park. So no surprises that he is looking like a flop. Whats surprising is fans of chelsea football club having a dig at other fans of the same club by trying to come up with ways to make Jose's decisions look good. 

7 hours ago, Azpinator said:

"In the past" could mean different occasions. For me the Chelsea of 2008, 2010 and even 2009 or 2012 is better than the current Ateltico. We were always criticized and labeled "boring" and stuff, before Willian and Hazard joined.

2007,2008,2009 - Definitely.

2010 onwards, its not even a competition. 2012 team had a lot of grit and determination but the most important aspect of that run was "LUCK". 

Just now, The Chels said:

I really thought Barcelona were going to be the first team to retain the CL. They have looked incredibly jaded recently, though, and if they're not careful they could end the season with nothing. Crazy how fast things change in football.

Who do you guys reckon will win it now? I'm going for Atleti but the only surprise winner would be City.

I love the curse. I wouldn't have been upset to see Barca lift it again but it would have been boring. Their form dipped at the worst moment. Messi and Neymar looking like cheap replicas. That's the thing with winning and unbeaten streaks. They're so mentally exhausting. And when it ends, you can all of sudden start to stutter.

City don't impress me and I don't enjoy their game so I hope they don't win.

Atleti gets some sympathy from me as semi-underdogs and I actually tipped them to go all the way before the knock-out stage. My only worry for them was their lack of firepower. Griezmann rarely scored in big games but that's getting better. Atletico is special though. Not a lot real quality in that side but they're right up there. Don't think most realise how insane all this is.

Real is peaking at the right moment. But I don't think they'll win in the end. Still too frail off the ball.

Bayern could restart the winner cycle. Bayern '13 - Real '14 - Barca '15. They possess so much quality but Boateng is a huge miss. And Guardiola remains wacky with his tippy toes on the edge.

Bayern or Atletico and if I had to pick, I'd pick Bayern. Though I'd prefer Atletico winning their first CL and Simeone putting that cherry on top of his amazing work. Pellegrini winning the CL and then Guardiola coming in would be hilarious though.

I hope we get Real - City and Bayern - Atletico. Exactly like that with Real and Bayern starting at home. Good contrast, fresh ties and plenty of room for upsets.

Just now, chelseafan26 said:

2007,2008,2009 - Definitely.

2010 onwards, its not even a competition. 2012 team had a lot of grit and determination but the most important aspect of that run was "LUCK". 

The ease with which Inter beat that 2010 side... A good spanking at SB. I was so disappointed. 2009/2010 was a strange season. Chelsea only started playing amazing football after the loss vs Inter. A run like 2012 happens only once every century. At best.

2004-2009 Chelsea beats Atleti in terms of quality but Atleti is better tactically. They've lost quite a few players over the years but have managed to adapt wonderfully.

50 minutes ago, DYC. said:

Ihich Inter beat that 2010 side... A good spanking at SB. I was so disappointed. 2009/2010 was a strange season. Chelsea only started playing amazing football after the loss vs Inter. A run like 2012 happens only once every century. At best.

2004-2009 Chelsea beats Atleti in terms of quality but Atleti is better tactically. They've lost quite a few players over the years but have managed to adapt wonderfully.

Perfectly put.

But I think that team was tactically astute too. You also have to take into the fact the change that has crept into the game. "High Press" is the hip thing to do. A lot of teams like to play that way now. But if there was a game between chelsea (07-09) vs ATM (2013 or current), I would say we would be the favourites. 

Chelsea (04-06) was a lot similar in quality to ATM too. I think Essien and ballack are making me tip over to chelsea.

2 hours ago, chelseafan26 said:

Perfectly put.

But I think that team was tactically astute too. You also have to take into the fact the change that has crept into the game. "High Press" is the hip thing to do. A lot of teams like to play that way now. But if there was a game between chelsea (07-09) vs ATM (2013 or current), I would say we would be the favourites. 

Chelsea (04-06) was a lot similar in quality to ATM too. I think Essien and ballack are making me tip over to chelsea.

Chelsea (04-06) will defeat this atletico...in terms of quality that chelsea side is way better

18 hours ago, Azpinator said:

You know what pisses me off?

When we play defensive physical football, the world labels us "anti-football"
When Atletico play defensive physical football, the world applauds and hails their spirit and character.

It's the tactics dictated by the scoreline.
What would you say about Barcelona during the spell it was 0-0 ?

19 hours ago, Azpinator said:

You know what pisses me off?

When we play defensive physical football, the world labels us "anti-football"
When Atletico play defensive physical football, the world applauds and hails their spirit and character.

Interesting. I've heard quite a few people comment on how Atletico doesn't bother playing and just want to tackle the opposition.

Imagine Terry becoming our manager, and against all odds, guiding us through our best period ever. Imagine us dominating every team we face, with our poster boy at the helm. We'd laugh at stories suggesting he'd leave us for another top team, right? What would be the point?

This is what people are doing with Simeone. It literally boggles the mind why he would leave. He can only go down from here really if he leaves.

That Lverpool team is the epitome of mediocrity .  I have seldom seen a team hat consists exclusively of perfectly average players from goalie to cf. Oh yeah I forgot, Coutinho is world class because he is better than Oscar, right? 

Think about what they invested in that team. 300m? Rival our recent signings

"Anfield - the stadium that scores goals" was the headline from a major German paper today. More like the stadium that wastes 20 half chances. Some of the worst finishing ever seen here today whilst Dortmund score 2 goals from 3 chances. Brilliant counter attacking performance from them so far.